Find
Notify
Tools

Nimrod Safaris-SCI DAV hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted
A very good hunt just concluded that I want to share with you and the circumstances leading up to it.

In the dark days following the WTC Incident in September 2001, I happened to meet Pieter Stofberg of Nimrod Safaris at the Windhoek (Namibia) airport. He was one of many people I met on that trip that went out of their way to extend support-comfort to an American citizen that was traveling in a world of uncertainty. We exchanged business cards and later emails. In March 2002 Pieter came to stay at my house while attending an SCI Banquet in the area.

At that time Pieter was the President of the Namibian Chapter of SCI. I am active in the Detroit Chapter of SCI. During his visit we discussed SCI matters, especially chapter issues, at length. In particular we discussed the positive things our chapters do. Pieter told of how members of his chapter takes groups of disabled RSA Veterans hunting. They had a hunting vehicle rigged up to accomadate wheelchairs. It meant a lot to him and other members to do this for fellow veterans that had paid such a big price.

Pieter then extended an invitation to work with the Detroit SCI Chapter in making an African hunt happen for a disabled American Veteran. A couple phone calls, a couple details, a handshake and the project was underway.

A well deserving disabled veteran by the name of Richard Straub from western Michigan was located. A fellow veteran that heard of our intentions recommended him. Richard was a Vietnam Vet that in 1968 was wounded twice in combat while serving with the 25th Infantry Division. The second Purple Heart he received cost him a leg and other disabilitating injuries. Richard has gone on to be a great citizen serving his community and fellow Veterans. In the State of Michigan he has been selected as the "Disabled Veteran of the Year" and later "Veteran of the Year". And Richard Straub is a hunter. Deer hunting with friends and family members is important to Richard.

In about April of this year Richard was invited to go hunting in Africa with his wife "on us". All he had to do was show up with a couple changes of clothes and a passport. Our way of saying "thank you Sir".

Richard and his wife Peggy just returned today from this hunt that Pieter Stofberg and his associates organized. Richard was getting teary-eyed telling about how great the trip was. The hunting vehicle set-up for wheelchairs worked out great. Richard got a hartebeest, kudu, gemsbok, and warthog. They went on a tour of Etosha and saw elephants and lions.

Hopefully our chapter will be able to continue doing this every year for other Disabled Veterans. I'd like to suggest that other chapters of SCI or service groups organize similar Disabled Veteran hunts. Doesn't have to be to Africa, it could be virtually any kind of a hunt that would otherwise be difficult for the Vet to do on his own for financial or logistical reasons. Nor does it just have to be U.S.A. military veterans; this could be done for veterans in Britain, Australia, India, Germany, Canada,...wherever. There are good men out there that are deserving of some time and effort to get to go hunting.

[ 10-31-2002, 00:36: Message edited by: Matt Norman ]

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulation Matt and Pieter for your foresight and effort to make this hunt happen.
Congratulations to Richard for a sucessful hunt.
Matt do you have copies of any of Richard's trophy pictures you could post?

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me this is what SCI local chapters are all about. Congrat on a job well done, my hat is off to you. [Smile]

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Very good job, and I hope more comes out og it

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
The Detroit Free Press newspaper ran a positive article about this hunt in the Thursday, Nov 7 issue. It happens that the Free Press reporter that wrote this article, Eric Sharp, is a hunter and a Veteran himself. It's refreshing to meet a reporter like him.

Here's the link. Hopefully it will connect automatically with the article. If not, could somebody more computer literate than me please post it properly?

web page

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
great article and a terrific positive image for hunters and the sport.

Posts: 1475 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
Great article.

Hope you get more hunts like that organised.

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Matt, congratulations to everyone involved. It is nice that you folks were able to make that happen.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote