ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Trophy Bull Elephant, CM Safaris Dande East-Pictures added.

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trophy Bull Elephant, CM Safaris Dande East-Pictures added.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Outfitter- CM Safaris
PH Buzz- Buzz Charlton
Videographer- Justin Drainer
Trackers- Criton, Nyati
Driver- Eddie
Location- Dande East
Species Taken- Bull elephant, Sharp’s Grysbok

My wife Sue and I got home last night after a 14 day trophy bull elephant hunt with Buzz Charlton at the Dande East communal area. This was what I considered to be a highly specialized hunt, to catch an early season bull coming across from Mozambique. Cutting to the chase, this was accomplished early, on day four. Buzz thought he might go 50, depending on the nerve. It was the nerve from Hell, and he estimates 45 and 40. They will be weighed before shipping.

I hunted tuskless with Buzz in 2009, and booked this trip immediately on my return. I’ve been smitten with elephant hunting, and taking a bull went to the top of my bucket list. It may be the most self-indulgent thing I’ve ever done, but there you have it.
A few days before leaving, I got an email from Buzz that a pride of lions was killing cattle at one of the villages, and that lioness was a possibility for me. My feet didn’t touch the ground for two days.
The East was a very different safari experience for me. This was my fifth trip over, and my first to a communal area. I really relished the exposure to village life and being able to rub elbows with rural Africans at their homes, schools, and businesses. I met kids, teachers, shopkeepers, even a spirit-man. I think the East is a great destination for someone with a few trips under his belt to take a good bull and have some new experiences. Other game is somewhat scarce, but with aggressive anti-poaching efforts being undertaken, this will get better as time goes on. As it is, we saw warthog, kudu, and buffalo, just not in large numbers. We saw several Sharp’s grysbok. We saw a herd of sable of at least twenty individuals. The jesse is very thick, and the jesse blocks very large, but more on that later. The land is quite flat, a boon to my aging knees. I can still walk all day, climbing is another story.
Everyone here knows CM Safaris’ reputation, and it is well deserved. We were well cared for at every turn, and these guys worked their tails off to provide us with the best possible experience, as guests as well as hunters. Buzz conducts a great hunt, and Justin does so much more than take pictures. Sue and I would want Justin along even if he wasn’t taking pictures. Sue and I were very happy to spend time with our friends again, and are already looking forward to next time, but again more on that later.
Camp was comfortable in all ways.

Crispin kept us well fed.

Alpha and Didi tended to us.

This is a true, classic tracking hunt. At Makuti where we did our cow hunt, things are a bit more spot and stalk. The stalks there are long and arduous, but chances are good you’ve seen what you are after. In the jesse at Dande, you’ve seen tracks. At this time of year, the jesse is very, very thick. You get a pretty good idea what “hunting in the thick stuff” is all about. Visibility is extremely limited, and movement slow. There is a lot of thorn. Things happen really fast when they happen. You will be walked into the ground. All in all, a wonderful experience to hunt elephant the old fashioned way. If you want to get your Walter Mitty on and think you are Bell or Taylor walking mile after mile in the thick stuff, you can get that here. I loved it.
I don’t think I will ever again book a big trip like this during storm season in South Dakota. We got away with it, but just only. We had a sixteen inch storm six days before departure.
We left home on Saturday the 26th of February, driving to Minneapolis. Flying out of the commuter airport in Aberdeen trying to make connections can be dicey at the best of times. We overnighted in Minneapolis, and flew out on Delta Sunday morning. We connected to SAA at Dulles, and flew to Joberg. There was enough time to pick up some Cubanos at the Joberg duty free, which has become a part of my safari tradition. Two hours later, we were aboard SAA to Harare. We bought our visas, picked up our bags (all of them including rifles) and Buzz collected us. It was great for Sue and I to see him again, and a great relief to be in tow in a foreign city. We were deposited again in the B&B run by Karen Harrison. It is cozy and friendly, and the full English breakfast served in the garden is lovely.

The next morning Myles stopped by for a chat. Buzz picked us up for the drive to camp. With us were Justin and Nyati. What fun to see Justin again, and meeting Nyati was a real pleasure. Nyati was Alan’s tracker for several years before his temporary retirement. He is a real gentleman, soft-spoken, and a real addition to the team.

It was fantastic being back in the high seat again, even if we did get a little rain on the road. I’ve chartered into camp before, but I truly enjoy seeing a bit of country by driving in if logistics permit.
We bought a bit of fruit on the way.

Buzz bought an ax from some guy selling them along the road.

We arrived at camp and unpacked, and had enough time for a cup of tea before I had to shoot my guns. I told Sue that I must be getting experienced as a client hunter, because for the first time I didn’t stress out over having to take those opening shots with the PH, trackers, the camp staff, and my wife looking on.
We got into the swing of our hunting routine the first day of hunting, March 2nd. Up at five, breakfast at 0530, out of camp about six. We cut some tracks on the road, and started following. We eventually caught up to and saw a bull with one long slender tusk and one broken tusk. I saw him through the understory at about twenty yards or so. At various times I saw a leg, a tusk, and his trunk. I never saw more than one body part at a time. This was getting interesting already. We backed away without incident and started tracking again. Justin got some horrid little caterpillar in his shirt.

At some point a radio message came through that the lion had killed another cow. We broke off the elephant tracks and got back to the Cruiser mid-afternoon. All in all it seemed OK to stop pushing those elephant back to Mozambique and look after that possibility of lioness! We had walked six or seven hours. Unfortunately, it turned out that the incident had occurred on the wrong side of the road, and not in the hunting area where a tourist hunter would be permitted to shoot. Blake, Buzz’s appy hunter would try to take a problem animal. After sitting up a couple of nights, he didn’t connect.
Here’s Blake, being an appy.

Our second day was spent driving around, getting oriented, looking for tracks, and visiting with locals asking for information about elephant activity. I got to meet a mudzimu, or spirit-man. He was a bit younger than I was expecting. These fellows have a great deal of influence in the community, and it’s hard for a westerner to really understand their role. Soothsayer, blesser of various and sundry things, collector of tributes, hard to know, exactly.
Day three we got on tracks again.

After slugging it out through the jesse for awhile something was moving nearby to our left. Then something was crashing. It turned out to be a couple of buffalo cows, who really didn’t want to have anything to do with us. A few minutes later, an elephant was close on, ahead of us. We got close enough to get a good look. He was facing us, through the jesse. He had one tusk, about 45lbs. The other was broken off at the lip. It looked like a bus with eyes. The eyes looked like they were six feet apart. Every furrow on his trunk looked an inch deep. We regarded one another for a few moments. I imagined where I would shoot him. We backed quietly away before anybody got too stressed out, him or us.
A bit later on, another bull was detected. I tried to stay as close to Buzz and Criton as I could, and not be in their way as they tried to get a look at him.. This animal was within about 15 yards, and I couldn’t see him, standing a foot away from Buzz. It’s hard, because it’s your hunt and you really want a look. If you move much that close to an animal, he’ll make you and scram. You stand still, and your pulse starts to race. I saw a bit of leg. He started to move. An urgent voice from Buzz said “Marty, side brain!” A trunk and enormous tusk came into view moving across an elephant trail as I mounted my double 470. The safety was off and my brain tried to assemble a picture of an elephant’s head and where his ear was. My brain couldn’t do it before the head was gone. Had I an understanding of just how big he was, and had had just a second to consider, I probably could have lunged him as his body moved across the trail. I had neither, and could only say “no shot” and unmounted my rifle. The look on Buzz’s face said it all. He said that bull ran at least seventy pounds.

We were right on the border with Mozambique. Criton announced that we were going to kill that elephant. We started following. We happened on a very nice grysbok, posing for us within double rifle range. While I didn’t yet have one, he didn’t seem too interesting with a fabulous elephant in front of us somewhere. We followed and followed until that bull headed off into forbidden territory. We finally had to break off. We were about five kilometers from the Cruiser. Keep in mind that the GPS tells you the distance in a straight line, and that’s not the way you walk in the jesse. We got back to the Cruiser sometime around five o’clock. We had walked about nine hours. I had given in and turned my rifle over to Nyati sometime along the way back to the truck. After a break, I took it back for the last kilometer. I wanted to go back with my flag flying. I had been walked into the ground. I was hot, hungry, thirsty, and scratched by thorns. I had nearly had a shot at the bull that dreams are made of. The proverbial “pig in shit” came to mind. What a day! Sue and Eddy had stayed with the truck. Sue had spent the day in Mopane fly hell. The expression “long suffering wife” comes to mind. Here’s picture of my mug, to give you an idea what these little bastards can be like.

They are a type of miniature non-stinging bee, and seem to be attracted by sweat.

Day four was a Saturday. Our plan was to go back to the area where we had seen Mr. Big, and start to walk. We stopped at a school first to distribute some supplies that we had brought. Thanks KPete for the suggestion! We had brought a gross each of pens and pencils and a quantity of notebooks. We also brought three soccer balls. We realized when we got to the village that it was Saturday, and school wasn’t in session, so we were directed to the home of the assistant headmaster and left half the supplies with his wife.

We proceeded on with tracking, and things got pretty exciting within the first hour or so. First we encountered a cow herd with a young bull or two and some calves. After we made them and decided what they were we rather decidedly withdrew. These are, after all, the “Zambezi Ladies!” As we withdrew, they cut our trail. This was a tense moment, because if they smelled us and panicked they might run either direction. No problem, fortunately. Not long after, we were near elephant again. We approached, and there were two young bulls. We withdrew. As we withdrew, we became aware of another elephant. This was the older bull the two askaris were attending. I could hear him, I couldn’t see him. Buzz and Criton were kneeling next to me peering through the thick jesse. I couldn’t move. Time passing became vague, I couldn’t say it was going fast or slow, more like it just wasn’t there at all. The next thing I was aware of was an urgent voice saying “Marty, frontal brain, frontal brain!” The double was up before I saw the bull. His head swung around in front of me from behind a small tree and thick bush, into the only clear space within earshot. His face was exposed, and my God, he was coming straight for us! Don’t screw this up! I had a moment to look for the zygomatic arches, split the difference, and fire a Woodleigh solid from the right barrel. The next thing I saw was that his primary direction was down. As I followed him down with the rifle, Buzz fired a backing shot. Through the retrospectoscope, it wasn’t needed. Replay that night in camp showed that he was going down. For that reason, the backing shot struck above the brain. It was the right thing to do given where we were, as I’m not sure just how many toes where on what side of the Mozambique border. We were ON the border! I had shot just under the brain, probably spining him, and he collapsed from the front. From Buzz’s perspective, he might have been turning. In any case, he was down, and my fragile ego remains intact. We ran up, and I fired a couple of insurance shots, one into the front of his chest, and the other between his ears from behind. I had been preparing for the moment for years. Reading. Loading. Shooting. Exercising. What I hadn’t been prepared for was how fast this would all go down. I had always thought that approaching my bull would be a bit more deliberate. That’s jesse, for you! This still of the kill shot was from Justin's video. If you look closely, you can just make the puff of dust from the bullet strike, about the second wrinkle down. We paced it off at thirteen steps. That was close and confrontational enough for me. It was not a self defense shot, but easily enough might have become one in half a second.

The bull had this old scar on his abdomen, likely from a poacher's muzzle loader.

We cut off the tail, and had our little “glory talk” for the video. It had all happened so quickly that all I could muster were some rather generic comments, leaving it to Buzz to synopse the hunt for the camera.

I had shot at around 1130. We took pictures, covered the ele up with branches to keep the sun off, and started walking back. Buzz radioed Bongi, who is managing the camp when not hunting with Myles, to start cutting toward the elephant. After a quick lunch, we drove to meet him at the edge of the jesse. We were about three kilometers from the elephant. Eight cutters worked until nearly dark. We left camp at six the next morning. We had brought a number of pairs of leather work gloves as staff gifts, and that turned out to have been an inspiration. Bongi thought we would be wrapped up in five hours. Bongi is an optimist. Cutting continued until 1100, when we were maybe half a km from the ele. Sue, Buzz, Justin, Criton, Nyati and I broke off from the group, walked to the elephant, took some more pictures, and skinning was commenced. The cutters and two cruisers didn’t arrive until nearly three.

Usually elephant recoveries are festive, almost a party atmosphere. This was a little more subdued, everyone was bushed before they got there. Still a few good photo ops.

As hot as it was, the meat was getting questionable, and the cruisers were already overloaded, so not quite 100% was recovered, and the elephant wasn’t gutted. The first cruiser pulled out. I was next to the carcass, leaning out the passenger window of the second cruiser, pouring water on Bongi’s hands preparing to pull out. We noticed that the belly of the carcass was swelling, growing visibly as we watched. He stepped back, and I pulled my head back inside just in time. The belly had begun to swell so quickly, we had a half second’s warning that it was going to blow. It exploded, covering the side of the cruiser only a few feet away. It smelled truly disgusting. It took Bongi and me fully a minute to stop laughing. The guys who had left a few minutes earlier heard the blast! The meat was received by villagers, and life was good. I only wished I had stopped laughing long enough to get a photo of the side of that cruiser.

Nyati asked me what went through my mind as I pulled the trigger. At that moment, the feeling was great relief that I had been able to do my part, and not let the team down. Buzz, Justin, and the trackers really make you feel like a team member, not just some guy they are dragging along to shoot an elephant. You don’t want to let them down. By the way, this particular team member is in awe over what the trackers can do. It’s magic. Criton is stunning, Nyati superb.

We had done it. My bull was down, and we had ten hunting days left. What to do? Our plan had been to spend about five days in the East, and then move to the North if we hadn’t found what we wanted. I had told Buzz that of all possibilities, hunting a cat excited me most. There are some leopard in the East, and a lioness had not yet been shot. We drove around a bit, and saw a lot of lion track in sandy watercourses. Since there is not a lot to shoot for bait, we went to some villages and bought a few very pretty goats, and one cow. We bought a couple of goats from this old guy, who said that now he would now have money to buy some sugar for his tea. The things you take for granted!

We set some baits.

We spent four days checking baits, and all those lion tracks we had seen were the last ones we ever saw.
I found out why Buzz's rifle looks like he uses it for a shovel.

The camp helped me celebrate my birthday.

We found buffalo tracks, and followed them. And followed them. We caught them once in very thick jesse, and Criton said one of them looked very wide. We followed them for five more hours, and they never stopped.

It seems that moving constantly is what the buffalo in Dande East do.

We went to another village to distribute the rest of the school supplies, and hand out most of the eight pounds of hard candies we had brought. This was the most fun I have ever had for so little money.

I thought the crowd of kids might eat Justin while he was taking the video.

I’m not quite sure what the headmaster thought of the goings on.

Sue is a dog breeder (basset hounds, of all things) and checked out all the village dogs. She said they are basenjis.

We decided to drive to Buzz’s fishing camp on the Zambezi. The sights were interesting, and the road was terrible. The gates at Kariba had been opened, and the river was very high. Parts of Buzz’s camp were, er, damp, and the wiring was under water, which meant no water for bathing or flushing.

A plan was made. Buzz contacted a friend, who owns Chewalo Safaris. This is a fishing/hunting camp a few clicks downstream, past Zumbo in Mozambique. A boat was dispatched, and Sue, I, Buzz and Justin relocated for a couple of days. We were taken in as refugees by Henno and Lizemarie Cronje, who manage the camp at Chewalo. The camp is extraordinary, and Henno and Lizemarie are lovely people.

Henno has built much of the camp, and Lizemarie is a nurse practitioner who heads up a program delivering outreach medical care to several remote villages in the vicinity. It is called project Care For Zumbo.

We spent some time getting wet and trying our hand at tiger fishing. Given the high, murky water we were fortunate to catch a couple of small ones.

We enjoyed viewing several pods of hippo.

We got to watch Africa going about its business.

The next day Lizemarie took us into Zumbo, and I got to tour the clinic and meet the doctor. There is no X-ray machine, and the only labs available are snap tests. No chemistries, CBC, and so on. Remember Dr. Schweitzer? It makes a fellow pretty grateful.

By the next day, Eddie had repaired the wiring, so we went back to Buzz’s camp for the night, after taking his boat up the river to view the Red Cliffs. Maputo gorge will have to wait until next time.

This camp was a little too close to the river. Shame, that.

We stopped at Kanyemba, Eddie's village, and met his wife and youngest daughter.

We saw the hair salon they have opened for her to run. It's rather a new concept in Kanyemba.

We drove back to Karunga in the East for the remaining two hunting days. We picked Criton up at his home, and met his father, Bashop, who was a highly regarded tracker in his day. We chased buffalo some more. We tried calling hyena after dinner. I had decided to shoot a Sharp’s grysbok if given a chance, and we spotted one from the road. We drove on a couple hundred yards, hopped out, and walked back. He walked out into the road, and I took advantage of an easy opportunity to add him to my collection. I had taken the largest land mammal, and the smallest antelope in Zimbabwe.

We had the usual last day shooting competition. I loved the picture of Eddie under recoil.

Bongi won the prize of the last remaining soccer ball.

Next day it was time for farewells, and the drive back to Harare with Sue, Me, Buzz, Nyati, and Crispin on the cruiser. We saw this little creation along the way. God, I love Africa.

We went to Buzz’s house. Here’s his housekeeper, Latwin (spelling?) managing one of my tusks.

That night Sue and I had the pleasure enjoying dinner with Buzz, Justin and his girlfriend Tammy, and Richard and Brita Harland. Brita is absolutely charming, and enjoying a cigar with Richard was a fantastic conclusion to a dream elephant hunt I have been getting ready for the last several years. A significant part of getting ready had been reading all three of his excellent books. It is surprising that such a soft-spoken cultivated man should have had such a testosterone charged career.

For those of you who don’t know, Richard and Brita were forced off their farm a couple of years ago. They now live in Harare, and Richard has begun a second career as a piano technician, tuning, repairing and restoring instruments.

We retired to Buzz’s home, The Charlton Arms, for the night. The next day we stopped by the CM Safaris office for a cup of tea and visit with Myles and Kirsty, and were taken to the Harare airport by Justin and put on the plane for home.

My gun case got here two days after we did. Whew.

We met wonderful people, and saw and did a lot. We were well cared for and in the company of good friends. After the ele was down on day four, we just sort of let things happen. It was a great trip. These guys have delayed my retirement again, and I am looking at tuskless/leopard in 2013.
My tuskless hunt in 2009 was a life changing experience. I’ve become obsessed with these beasts and am fortunate to have a loving wife who supports this madness. She told her sister, who stayed and cared for our house and kennel, that “He hangs out on an internet forum with a bunch of guys who think just like he does.” I wonder who she could have meant by that.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Marty, congratulations on a great hunt. I have been waiting for your report. I love your pictures. Pictures of people. Pictures of smiling, happy people having a good time. I amazes me when folks talk about the dangers of traveling to Zim or ask whether it is safe. I am not saying everyone there is a saint, but most folks are just friendly and delightful to be around. Good to see that Richard and Brita are doing well too. Great report.

[P.S. I miss those little bananas too. I can eat those until I am sick. My recollection is that a $1.00 will get you a huge bowl full of those things.]

Mike

Posts: 21207 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KPete
posted Hide Post
Marty:

As Mike said, thank you for taking the time to compose a remarkably evocative hunt report. Coupled with your excellent photos, it clearly was a 'hunt of a lifetime' ... but then, aren't they all?

Having hunted tuskless with Buzz and his superlative team - Justin, Criton, Nyati, Eddie, and the camp staff - just last year, I now want to experience a hunt for a big tusker like you have. Thanks for not only bringing back fond memories, but also stoking the fires for a future elephant hunt with CM Safaris.

Kim

Merkel Double .470 NE
Whitworth Express .375 H&H
Griffin & Howe .275 Rigby
Winchester M70 (pre-64) .30-06 & .270

"Cogito ergo venor" René Descartes on African Safari

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic hunt, Marty!
Congrats on a wonderful bull!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marty, great report,and pictures, glad you got it done. Buzz, Myles and Justin, are as good as it gets...Thanks for taking the time to do such a nice report..Congrats, and may you have many more, Butch

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great hunt & report. Thanks for sharing.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Ahhh -- the old "exploding elephant" -- brings back some memories! Eeker

Congrats on your hunt. Bongi is definitely one of the good guys.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thanks for convincing to screw my retirement fund and go back to Africa. I can live off of white rice and vegetables and what I shoot when I am old anyway.

STAY IN THE FIGHT!

Posts: 1849 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 25 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Marty
Like Mike Jines, I've been waiting for this report. I had updates from Myles via email while you were out there, but there's nothing like the full details. Where did you get the soccer (we call it by its correct name "football") ball idea from? I already have six here waithing to take over next month. Looks like they are going to get a bit of sport overload. There always seem to be kids playing football in every village and they have always had those homemade balls made of tightly wrapped plastic bags. I suppose the words pneumatic and thorn dont mix well in Africa so I am sure our combined supplies will last them a while at least.
I am told that you have kindly left me a few 470 softs. Many thanks for that, our authorities will only allow us to own solids for 470 here in the UK. They seem to think that if you suddenly go off on a rampage you can make someone more dead with a 470 soft than a 470 solid. I hope you dont take this the wrong way, but as these softs are only likely to be used for a follow up if I mess up on my lion - are you good at home loading ? Roll Eyes
I hope that seventy pounder gets a wanderlust and strolls into the DSA in a few weeks time.
Thanks for a great report and good luck on your plans for the next one.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Fantastic Marty. Congrats on a wonderful bull...thanks for the great report and incredible photos...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Great report!

Is Buzz wearing "fruit boots" (crocs) in the 2nd photo? Eeker Say it ain't so...

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Been waiting on this one, too. Well done, congratulations, and welcome home.

A few thoughts . . .

1. It would be worth the trip over to have dinner with Richard Harland and hear his stories from the good old days. (it would be a bonus to get his book signed whilst there) Count yourself lucky on that one.

2. There is a tremendous irony that one of Zim's great elephant cullers/shooters/hunters officers (Harland) now makes a living working on a different and smaller set of ivories (pianos).

3. This hunt is on my ever-growing must do list.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done Marty, that was a fantastic hunt. Buzz, Myles, Justin are always good people to be around and to hunt with. Really good pictures and an exciting hunt. Also see that Buzz does not have delivery on his 470 double yet.

Dakota

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marty;

Congratulations on a very successful safari. The photos were great too. (Your ele isn't too shabby either!)

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Excellent report and pictures. Well done on the elephant... to be as close as you were to a 70 pounder must have been a thrilling experience. However, there is no bull like "your" bull. Congratulations!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Marty, on the beautiful bull. You brought the adventure of the experience to life with your great report. It brings back fond memories of our two times there with Buzz, Myles, Alan, Rich, and all the trackers and camp staff. Reading your narrative and gazing at the photos was almost like being back there and sharing camp with you and Sue, as Diann and I did in 2009. And to have dinner with Richard Harland...jeez!

Dave

Posts: 22 | Location: California | Registered: 24 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrates on a wonderful hunt and trophy!

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wonderfully written report. Congratulations on a great hunt. It brings back fond memories, and made me feel like I was back with CMS. Excellent!

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How cares what they weighed. Those tusks are beutiful. Fantastic story and trophy.

NRA Life Memebr

Posts: 91 | Location: Holt, Michigan | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Marty,great report!Congratulations.
Reading this and looking at the pictures I could be back in Dande East in my memories. It is a wonderful communal area. (I and my friend shot two tuskers last May)
Thanks for sharing.
Petr

Posts: 40 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 29 July 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Marty. A fine bull at hand. Great story and pics.
Can't wait to get them in the studio. The closes I will ever get to a ele.

Roger

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the hunt and your elephant! A very clever and enjoyable read too, with great pictures.

That 2nd dog picture...is that Buzz's? Asuming so, it is good to see one is still kicking!

A very nice looking family Eddie has there...no wonder he's always smiling! He spoke much about them and I appreciate seeing the picture.

Again, well done all around! tu2

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David_B
posted Hide Post
Marty,
Great report and congrats of taking such a fine bull.

Posts: 62 | Location: VA | Registered: 04 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your kind words.
I don't know how to get this image over to photobucket, so i'll just post the link to a gallery page on CM's website. This is a frame from Justin's video of the kill shot. It's my new most favorite picture and the wall paper on my computer. You can just make the puff of dust from the bullet strike.

http://www.cmsafaris.com/troph...uzz/mvick-shot-l.jpg

Dave, it's good to hear from you. Please hug Diann for Sue and me.

Bill, the ridge back is Buzz's.

Don, they are indeed Crocs, I've never seen Buzz wear anything else. I don't know how he can hunt in them, even if the soles are reinforced.

Posts: 1978 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Great hunt report! Love the pictures!

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Marty,

Welcome home. Loved your report and what a fantastic ele.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Marty,
Great report and pictures. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 817 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story, and fantastic photographs.

Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Marty,
What a great report. Thanks. I shot a croc right at the base of the red cliff in your picture in 2008. I also spent 8 nights in the flooded camp. My chalet is the one to the right of kitchen in the picture. It is quite a sight. I had talked to Jules Merideth recently and she told me it was totally flooded. I hadnt seen a picture till now. I'll be back there in June, maybe the waters will have receded.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice Marty. Bwanna and I will be there in three months. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Marty,

You have my respect. I have seen and been in the jesse in Dande East -- after the leaves have dropped. To hunt in that jesse for ele early season with the leaves on the bushes . . . well you must have brass ones.

Mike

Posts: 21207 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike-
Welcome home!
While I'm honored, remember that it's not like I knew exactly what I was getting into, at least the first day. Mostly it's a matter of trust, that Buzz and crew know what they are doing and will keep things sorted out.
Still exciting as all Hell, though. I'm not sure about hunting cows in that stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats and thank you for sharing. That is as close as I will ever come to doing what you do, so enjoyed every picture and word!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
In a couple of weeks I'll be in Zimbabwe hunting elephants. I've been getting up at 5:00 a.m. to do some walking and, dang it!, I made the mistake of checking your post and had to read the whole thing.

I'll be an hour late this morning and will have to rush to get ready for the day since I'll be late for my exercise.... but it was well worth it! As I do my few miles, I'll be in the jesse up and down the hills of Zim, at least in my mind!

Great report and wonderful elephant. Thanks for all the pictures, too.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the extra pictures Marty.
It brings it all back !!
Rob

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Nice report and pics, Marty. I just can't get enough of hunting with Charlton McCallum Safaris. They are such a first class outfit!

I really like the portions of your report relaying the taking it easy part after bagging your bull. The experience of just being there and soaking up "Africa" reminds me of my trip in 08 when I had scored on all my trophies by the 6th day of a 14 day hunt. Those 8 leisure days were some of the best times I've spent there.

Congrats on your hunt and congrats to Buzz for another successful safari.

Cheers,

Todd

one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Marty, what caliber is your bolt rifle?

Is Buzz still shooting a 416 Ruger? Looks like it.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy-
The bolt gun is a 416 Rigby, built on an Enfield action. I bought it used from Champlins a few years ago. We don't know who built it, but it was stocked by Sterling Davenport.
Buzz was still carrying his old Ruger 416 Rigby. He has ordered a 500 Heym double which has been completed, but the last I heard was being hung up by the arms embargo.

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Very nice report and photos

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote