ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    That’s a helluva waterbuck……….with Mokore Safaris
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That’s a helluva waterbuck……….with Mokore Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Flipper Dude
posted
October 5 through October 17, 2014

Sengwa Research Area, Zimbabwe

Mokore Safaris

PH Neil Duckworth

Mark Young with Mark’s Exclusive Adventures took care of the booking. (Thanks Mark, Sadie and Jamie!)

Travel with Guns – Steve Turner, Meliza and Fred

Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H, 300g TSX and CEB BBW #13 solids. Winchester Model 70 in 458 Lott.
(Thanks to Todd Johnson, Lone Star Armory & Danny Peterson, Classic Barrel) 450g CEB BBW #13 solids
and 500g TSX. John Lasala with Safari Arms, LTD took care of the custom loading for my lazy ass. OK, enough with sounding like one of those hunting shows.

Animals hunted: Non–trophy elephant, non-trophy buffalo, whatever else strikes my fancy.
Animals taken: Elephant, Cape Buffalo, Kudu, Waterbuck, Zebra, Warthog

(Please excuse the rambling format of this hunt report. I’m halfway thru my second martini and punch drunk from Christmas shopping.)

I booked this hunt early in the year with Mark. Saw it posted on AR – Outfitters Offered and Discounted Hunts. Deal was non-trophy, non-exportable elephant and non-trophy, non-exportable Cape Buffalo (no, not Water Buffalo to most of my uninformed acquaintances and family). Helluva deal. Still, I’m in the process of building a new home, and my wife would accompany me to Zim. I have no business spending this amount of money on 12 days in Zimbabwe in October (AKA Suicide Month). Hell, I could put in half of a really nice pool for the cost of this 12 day adventure. Matter of fact, I sat on this decision so long that the price went up a little. Ouch! What finally sealed the deal in my feeble mind was the FACT that, in the end, you will never regret the things that you did in life, only the things left undone.
Will it really be that important, as you are looking back on the things that you have done, that you had a new truck in 2014 or put in a nice new pool? Well, hell, I knew the answer to that.

Dammit, we had to stay here after yours truly printed out the wrong itinerary. We flew to Jo’burg from Houston, via ATL on Delta 200. Overnighted at City Lodge. Very nice. Nice dinner, and a leisurely breakfast before catching our 1130 flight to Harare. Only trouble is, our flight is at 1030. Dumbass here printed out the wrong (earliest) itinerary for our flights. Well, things change between spring and fall. We had to catch a 1430 flight into Harare, which didn’t allow us enough time to make our charter flight into Sengwa. No problem. Called Gary Duckworth with Mokore and told him what was going on. He arranged for us to stay at their place in Harare, and to catch a charter first thing the next morning for Sengwa Research Area. Thanks Gary!

Made it into camp around mid morning. Took a drive around and checked out the zero on the rifles.
The 375 H&H threw the first shot about 3“ right at 100 yds., thanks to a loose nut at the back of the stock. Got that problem solved quickly, and the next one was in the black. Why is this shot always the toughest one on safari for me? The Lott was about an inch off of center at 50 yds, better than I can see any more with iron sights. Good enough.

First evening in Sengwa.

Saw this boy lounging with the ladies. Too close to camp, but made a note to keep an eye on him.

Days 1-4

No shots fired. Hunting proved to be much tougher than I expected. The problem being that I had
purchased a non-trophy buffalo to go along with a non-trophy elephant. The herds that were visible along the rivers and in the grasslands did not contain any suitable bulls. They were either too large or were soft bossed. Which left us the only option of following tracks on single and small groups of dagga boys. Wonderful, as that is what I really wanted to do. Funny though, it’s really tough for a PH and trackers, even good ones like Neil and Nhamo, to pick out the track of a dagga boy with broomed off tips, or a busted horn. More than once got on a track for hours, only to find a trophy bull at the end of it! Dang the luck. Had the crosshairs on a bull in the 42” range with very steep drops. Very old white faced bull of a lifetime. Oh well.

October winds proved to be tricky, and we were busted on several occasions after hours on the tracks.
I could sense that Neil was getting frustrated with the wind issues, and the fact that we had hunted 4 days without a shot. (I could sense it because he said that he was getting frustrated with the wind issues, not because I have some sorta sixth sense).

The hunt for non-trophy elephant proved to be different than I had anticipated. If I had given it some though beforehand, I would have realized that it must be the case. I was allowed a small broken off bull, or a bull of 25# or less, or a cow. What does the track of a non-trophy bull look like? Once again, no use cutting the track of a lone bull and following it for hours, hoping that it is a broken tusked bull. Sorta slim odds. I was determined not to shoot a young bull that would fall under the 25# limit. We decided that if we didn’t come across a non-trophy bull during our daily excursions for buffalo, we would take a cow
without a dependent calf.

Elephant

Day 5. Another frustrating morning of buffalo hunting. We have been in the buffalo exactly 13 times
so far. No shot. Around 1230 we pile into the cruiser and are heading for some shade somewhere, to have a bit of lunch and to get out of the midday sun for a few hours. (The high that we observed on this trip was 42C. 108 degrees F. In the shade at camp on the ‘Official Mokore Thermometer’). It was a routine that we had fallen into. Hunt till noonish, set up a tarp for shade or, if lucky, find a nice shade tree. A bit of lunch from the chop box, then a rest or nap till around 1530 or so.

On our way, one of the trackers spotted some elephant backs over the top of the jess. Neil stopped.
“Let’s go take a look at these elephants”. And that is how it happens. One minute you’re riding in the back of the cruiser, looking forward to a bit of lunch, not a care in the world, and 3 minutes later you’re in the middle of 5 cow elephants, some with calves, and your PH is pushing you forward. “Ease up to that tree, and give her a side brain. The tallest one, on the right”. Sure Neil, no problem. Slow as possible to the tree, but by then it’s no longer a side brain. It’s a frontal brain at a very wary cow elephant, ears flared and trunk held high, head waving back and forth, at 18 yards. Swing left, swing right, swing left, BAM.

The shot took her about halfway down her trunk, as that seemed to be the correct angle with her head and trunk up. She face planted into the dirt in front of her. Never moved a muscle. Wasn’t the classic
rear end falling out from underneath her though, so gave her three more quick shots through the head.
The other four cows had split the scene on the shot, and did not return. Neil said they acted like a bunch of bulls. Everyman for himself.

Well, looks like this is the lunch spot.

The first shot. The guys dug it out about half way down the cow’s back, under the hide. Neil was impressed with the penetration

That’s my 458 Lott on the left. ( No, it’s not a youth model) Neil is sporting an original George Gibbs in 505 Gibbs. Not many of those on the planet.

Zebra

I’ll tell anyone that cares to listen, that for my money, the zebra is one of the best animals on safari.
If you hunt a free range zebra in Zimbabwe, in an area that has zebra, you’ll get one. But it probably won’t be easy, and you’ll do a lot of crawling in acacia thorn and razor grass, in your cute little shorts that seemed like such a good idea. And do a lot of crab walking, or whatever the hell they call that half bent over walk, that just eats at you if you’re over 50 and enjoy your food a little too much. I finally got to 140 yds of this zebra, after three failed stalks on the same herd. Probably about 30 animals in this herd. Closest I’ve ever been able to get to a zebra in Zimbabwe.

Neil. I hate taking pictures with Neil.

Buffalo

Took me 7 days to finally get a shot at a suitable buffalo. It had rained the night before, and our road and waterhole searches did not provide a single fresh track. Cruised all morning looking for a track. Finally decided to go high, so that we could glass the country and possible locate some buffalo. We managed to find three separate herds in the grass and along the river. Headed down the hill toward the
herds, which were a couple of miles away. Neil decided that the last herd would provide the easiest approach, barring any unseen impala. Damn impala were scared of their own shadow, and damn near everywhere. We were able to approach the buffs, but saw a nice herd bull and some youngsters. They finally sensed that something was up, and started moving away at that not quite panicked pace, but pretty quickly. 10 or 15 seconds after the herd moved out, this ol’ boy came trailing up the rear. Neil knew right away that was our bull.

After about 30 minutes or so of cat and mouse; on the tree, on the sticks, no, no, run, run, we were able to get to about 80 yds. The bull was broadside looking back at us to catch a glimpse of whatever is was that had been pressing him. He lingered a little too long.

Dr. Duckworth scrubbing in

Keli had been laying down taking pictures and there were just a few blades of grass in the way. Thought she’d pull them up. Big mistake. Cut her all the way to the gristle. Neil managed to patch her up quite well. Long way to the doc.

Back in business.

The buffalo hunt was everything that I could have wanted. A chance to look at lots of buffalo, and to be in the buffalo numerous times a day. Finally, a chance to take an ol’ warrior like this. Perfect.

Waiting for the cruiser…

“That’s a helluva waterbuck.”

My number one plains game trophy that I desired was a really quality waterbuck. I was fortunate to find that Mokore had one left for the year at Sengwa. I am not by nature a trophy hunter, and am always happy with good or representative trophies. I can’t explain why I wanted a really top end waterbuck. They are such a regal looking animal. I’ll have to say that the bull we ended up taking exceeded any expectations that I might have had.

I had the crosshairs on this bull on three separate occasions over four or five days. Safety off each time.
Something always happened. Was finally able to get him after a dash to the rivers edge. Was the third time he had ran across the river to escape. He lingered a little too long. Around 230yds. with the 375 H&H. I have really grown to love that rifle.

Was a wager among Neil and the guys about the size of the bull. Neil said that the largest he had ever taken was 32.5”. This one could be better. Sam guessed 30”, and Neil told him that he was a loser, and that there was a reason he was the driver. Nickolas, the head skinner had biggest guess at 33 ¼”. Neil stretched the tape over the bull and it just kept on unfurling to 34”. Shoulda heard the squealing from the guys. Don’t know why, but Neil and I sat there and drank beer until they were almost finished with the skinning. I didn’t want it to end. It is by far the best trophy that I have ever taken. I am really grateful to Neil for his perseverance in hunting this waterbuck. I was lucky to be the client.

Kudu

I believe that you should never pass up a free range kudu that’s bigger than the ones you have. That was my goal. Neil says that today we will go after kudu down by the river. That’s great and all, but it’s day 9, we’ve been hunting down by the river on numerous occasions, and have seen exactly ZERO kudu
bulls in 9 days. No problem, man. Today, we’re hunting kudu. Saw 5 bulls. Go figure.

Neil says, “Quickly”, as he sets up the sticks. “There’s your kudu.”
“I don’t have a shot. It’s blocked. All I can see is his stomach”
“See the tree across his chest? Shoot just in front of the tree.”
“Cool”

Wasn’t cool. At the shot the kudu never moved.

“You jerked it. You shot over him. Shoot again.”
The next shot at the exact same spot resulted in a dead kudu. Can’t imagine that I had jerked it enough to completely miss a kudu at 70 yards. I do know that he wasn’t leaking at all after the first shot. Thanks, Neil, for keeping me humble.

Warthog

I have been on four safaris and never taken a warty. Not for lack of trying. We had not seen a shooter hog on this safari. Finally crossed this guy at 30 yards. Neil was hunting warthog today.

Funny. Loaded this guy in the truck as there were two buffalo in the grass paying us no attention.
We had driven maybe 100 yds, and there was a warthog that would make two of this one standing there, waiting to be shot. “Want him?” Neil asked.
“Nah, I’m good”

And I was. I had spent 10 days on my feet, on the ground in Africa. In October. Hunting elephant, and buffalo, kudu, waterbuck, zebra, warthog. Sengwa Research Area is a wonderful safari area. Small by concession standards, it is, I believe, right at 100,000 acres. Big enough for varied hunting, but small enough that you go to some places on numerous occasions, and you start to gain a familiarity with the country in a very short time.

Loose ends

Man, the groceries that that man could turn out with this equipment! MMMMMmmmmm

We had requested game prepared for dinner. I think that the zebra is the only meat that we didn’t eat.
Buffalo tail stew was excellent. Also had bull balls as an appetizer, as well as some type of stomach lining. Not tripe. Kudu was excellent as always. By far the best meat of the trip? Waterbuck schnitzel.
But I thought that………

Zebra

Food was excellent. Camp was excellent. They have heavy canvas tents with en suite toilets and showers. On the electric grid, so power is available when it’s on. It is Zimbabwe, however.
They have a generator when it’s not.

The boys, enjoying the view from our tent

The camp staff is very good. Dalton, the young apprentice PH, is the camp manager. I believe he’s 21.
Energy, the game scout, was a big help in tracking and in recovering game. Sam, the driver, was always in a jovial mood, and was quite the dresser. Nhamo, Neil’s head tracker, is very good. Extremely quite fellow.

Nhamo, Energy, Sam
Me, Keli and Dalton

Neil Duckworth is a very good hunter. Doesn’t talk too much. Persistent. Not at all arrogant, but confident. A man’s man. I’ll hunt with him again, as soon as I can.

Also, I was told (by someone who has an opinion) that Neil has a nice backside.

I don’t know. Just sayin. If you gotta look at man’s backside for 10 days and across many miles of hot Africa,
it’s as good as any, I suppose.

Posts: 262 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats, as you say, a helluva waterbuck!

The Duckworths are good people.

Excellent report, though I could do without evaluations of PH backsides... rotflmo

Posts: 10995 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice report, great trophies, congrats.

One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fantastic safari. It's a superb waterbuck and a very nice "non trophy" buffalo.

How was the number of plains game in Sengwa? I hunted in Chirisa in September and was surprised how much plains game it was there.

Torbjoern

Posts: 315 | Location: Norway | Registered: 17 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

I am longing back to Zim.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HendrikNZ
posted Hide Post
Nice report, thanks for sharing. Great Waterbuck! and that Kudu is a beauty

Posts: 356 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 11 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
And a heaven of a kudu!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 4882 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a lot of fun - thanks.
Smashing trophies !
I bet that Gibbbs has a few tales to tell.
It looks well carried.

Posts: 463 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done and a great way to escape the pressures of building a new house for a few days! Thanks for the report.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great report and wonderful photos. It is, truly, a heck of a waterbuck!

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto to all the above

Tim

One of Us
Picture of Buffalo Tim
posted Hide Post
Really good decisions...

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Great report, enjoyed it!

Some funny narrative and outstanding pics.

And one fxxxing big waterbuck!!!!

Congrats!

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding report and some mighty fine pics! What a waterbuck! tu2

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pictures and some great trophies there. Thanks for posting it.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12698 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some very nice trophies! Congratulations on a fine hunt.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bloody nice kudu too tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on some fine trophies. Thanks for sharing.
As Ridgeman said above ....."i bet that Gibbs has some stories to tell......"
Merry Christmas!

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
That's a helluva safari. Congratulations.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9957 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drew thanks for the nice report, was a pleasure hunting with you and Keli.
That waterbuck was the best plainsgame animal taken in Zim for 2014 .

Posts: 229 | Location: Coutada 9 Mozambique | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Nice report and some great animals too. That Waterbuck is a trophy of a lifetime. Very well done.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"you will never regret the things you did in life, only the things left undone", that about sums it up. Looks like good times were had.

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stealth
posted Hide Post
On the day my wife shot her trophy waterbuck, the South African outfitter told her, "People talk about kudu, but that waterbuck will be the trophy you always remember from your safari." He was right and so will you.

"Personal is not the same as important", Corporal Carrot, Men at Arms

Posts: 144 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 June 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Great waterbuck and thank you for the report on the Sengwa Research Area. I am scheduled to hunt the area in 2016 and your report is greatly appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Drew,

Great safari and that waterbuck is just a toad. I never worry about my clients when they hunt with Mokore. They just seem to do it right everytime. Thanks for letting me play a small part in your adventure.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flipper Dude
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the kind words.

Torbjoern, the amount of plains game on Sengwa Research is extensive. The vlei, late of an afternoon, reminded me of an East African savannah. Many hundreds of animals grazing undisturbed. Impala, waterbuck, reedbuck, eland, zebra, warthog, kudu cows. All visible at once. With a herd of buffalo across the way. Very, very nice...... Also saw a couple of bushpig the last morning in the river below camp. We came across a very nice klipspringer during our daily travels. Neil said that I was not likely to see his equal again. Didn't have my heart set on a klipspringer, though.

Posts: 262 | Location: Huffman, TX.  | Registered: 04 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really enjoyed your report and pictures. Congrats on that waterbuck, what a beaut!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic stuff there man!

Congrats!!!!

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Thanks for the story and photos.

I made the last hunt on Sengwa with Neil in Novemeber. It does not get much better.

One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike70560:

I made the last hunt on Sengwa with Neil in Novemeber. It does not get much better.

Looking forward to a hunting report and pictures Cool

Torbjoern

One of Us
Picture of Torbjørn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flipper Dude:

Torbjoern, the amount of plains game on Sengwa Research is extensive. The vlei, late of an afternoon, reminded me of an East African savannah. Many hundreds of animals grazing undisturbed. Impala, waterbuck, reedbuck, eland, zebra, warthog, kudu cows. All visible at once. With a herd of buffalo across the way. Very, very nice...... Also saw a couple of bushpig the last morning in the river below camp. We came across a very nice klipspringer during our daily travels. Neil said that I was not likely to see his equal again. Didn't have my heart set on a klipspringer, though.

Fantastic Smiler

Torbjoern

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CONGRATS ON A GREAT REPORT AND HUNT..THANKS FOR SHARING............ beer

Posts: 282 | Location: TALLAHASSEE,FL | Registered: 08 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have never hunted with Neil, but have spoken with him at a couple of SCI shows - seems like a great guy.

Posts: 504 | Location: California | Registered: 04 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt. Very good report too!

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the report and your happiness shown in the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know how I missed this when you posted it, but fantastic pics and report! Congratulations on the waterbuck et.al.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report and great trophies and memories all around.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great trip, great trophies (including the non-trophies) and great writing. Well done all around.

Posts: 10328 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I really enjoy the report!

Congrats on stunning trophies and photos!

This is a hunt dreams are made off...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the report and photos.