ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Zimbabwe 2015 - Leopard, Buff, Sable

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe 2015 - Leopard, Buff, Sable
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Took awhile, but finally got around to posting a report....

Hunt Location: Maninga Concession, North Zim
Hunt Dates: Sept 2 - 15, 2015
Outfitter: Desfountain and Jones
PH: Kobus Botha

This was my 3rd Safari to Africa, my second to Zimbabwe and hopefully not my last. I had hunted with PH, Kobus Botha on my first Safari back in 2010. It was a great experience and we were similar people, so i knew i had to go back and hunt with him again. I had not hunted this area before, so i did not know exactly what to expect, but that is all part of the fun. I have yet to see another report on A/R about this particular area, so a bit about that....

Maninga is a group of privately owned lands along the south border of Doma Safari Area. It is not fenced and no one lives on the properties. The road system is extensive, and many of the roads are not cut each year. The area is teaming with Sable. We saw sable practically every day. We saw a large variety of game, but not a ton of volume. The bordering Doma has not been hunted for years, but poaching is a huge concern in both Doma and Maninga as the human population grows increasingly each year. Kobus grew up very close by this area and it was interesting to hear is account of the area prior to the land reform. Basically, prior to the reform there were no indigenous peoples within an hour of Doma or Maninga, and now they are EVERYWHERE. To me, i just don't get it...There were so many little huts in the middle of nowhere, no water for miles, rocky ground that is bad for farming and most with no mode of transportation other than to rely on others to pick them up in order to get to town...They can literally set up home anywhere and they pick the worst spots.....

As with most areas in Zim, this one has huge potential, but who is going to spend the enormous amounts of money for anti-poaching and game management...?? The outfitter had only recently set up and anti-poaching squad, but at least it is now up and running. We did not come across any snares or poached animals, but we did on 2 occasions spot poachers and on several occasions we intersected the spoor of poachers and their dogs. Dogs seem to be the preferred method for the poachers here, and let me tell you they have been effective!! The sable seem to survive as apparently they are quite good at killing approaching dogs with their horns.

The CAMP:

This was the nicest, most comfortable camp i have stayed in to date. The chalets had a glass sliding door and all concrete walls with a tented roof and lots of airflow. Food was excellent and i gained too much weight while there...

The HUNT:

Primary goal was Leopard. My PH had scored on a nice male the hunt right before mine, but i knew my chances were slim regardless. We set up several baits using goats purchased from the locals and recycled baits from the previous hunt that included impala and zebra. Eventually, i did get a zebra to freshen baits and set up a couple new ones. Unfortunately, we did not score on a leopard and did not get any males on bait. I was really hoping to get to sit in the blind for at least one night, but no chance...

I had told myself that i will never go to africa again and NOT have buffalo on my list. I had taken a good old bull on my first safari, but did not have it on my list in zambia, so i was anxious to hunt buffalo again. We looked over several herds and several bulls, but nothing we could find was old enough for us. Kobus and i have a similar hunting understanding and he had said that if I wouldn't shoot it, then i won't let you shoot it. This is perfect as far as I'm concerned...I would rather go home without another buffalo then shoot a young bull.

Early one morning we caught a group of buffalo just shy of the Doma border and heading that way. There was a deep washout they were following that was bordered by tall grass. We thought we could see all the animals, but once it was too late, an old bull appeared from the edge of the ravine but now inside Doma... We decided to try and catch them there in the morning and so next morning we parked well before the area and walked into position. Amazingly they were in pretty well the exact same spot as the previous day. This time the old bull was in full vision and i took the shot at about 150yrds. The herd scrambled upon the shot and headed straight for us! At less than 10 yards the herd did a 90 degree turn and headed for the Doma border. In all the commotion we could not tell if our bull went down or was still with the herd. We both looked over the herd and could not see him. So we, headed toward where i had taken the shot and found him legs in the air right in the bottom of the ravine! Was quite a time getting him out of there...

As i mentioned before Maninga is a privately owned area and therefore hunting at night is legal, and really one of the only ways to collect a some species. The area had tons of genet cats. It was not uncommon to see 5 just driving back to camp in the dark. I decided to take one one night with a shotgun. They are pretty animals and will make a neat mount.

One of the areas was separated from the clustered Maninga area, but was part of the huntable lease. It was an 1hour and 20 minute drive this area and it had not been hunted for at least 6 years. Upon entering the area the first track we came across was of a giant hyaena. Kobus looked at it and said "We must hunt this Hyeana. It is the biggest track i have ever seen". A couple days later we made a plan to meet up with my hunting buddy, Greg and his PH in this area and try to call in the hyaena after dark...

Well this worked exceptionally well!!! It was not more than 10 seconds of calling and you could hear 2 hyaena coming in from a long way out. Before long, they were right at the truck!! Greg was in position and shot the first one. Miraculousy, the gun shots did not scare the other one, but it would not stand at all and eventually after a couple of misses he left the area. We decided to try one more setup a couple miles down the road. Same thing! This time only one came in. Again, it would not stand still, but i made a good first shot on him and he went right down. My friend Greg had got the big one we were after, but both Hyeana were huge. Gregs was a female and missing all of its toes from a gin trap on one front paw....

The sable were plentiful and it was really a matter of holding out for as big of one you could find. I had somehow missed a real nice bull at 200 yards one evening that we think would have been 42 or 43". Closer to the end of the hunt we tracked another bull in the early morning and i made another marginal shot at about 180yrds off the sticks. The tracking ensued and what started as dark red blood later turned to watery light blood...not good..

The tracker earned their keep though and we caught up to him within 2.5 hours. Another shot and he was down. This sable is 40".

All in all, it was a great trip. The weather was very pleasant and the company was even better. I truly enjoyed every day in the field and can't wait to go back again one day.

I just hope there is something to go back for in Africa.....

Posts: 162 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 23 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a successful safari. Sorry no leopard but a really great sable, zebra and buff. The civet and hyena were great bonuses.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
It is a genet, it is the first one I have ever seen a sport hunted photo of. Neat!

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn nice sable! That's one that is still on my list! Great hard bossed old bull.

Congratulations on a great hunt.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Nice sable!! Not an easy area to hunt. You did well.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Great sable and hyena! Thanks for posting.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done! Another trip back to get your cat.

Posts: 1792 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
love the color on that Zebra, congrats on a great hunt

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big congratulations on a successful safari. Beautiful trophies!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Awesome hyena, and your sable ain't too shabby either.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great report, I love that sable and the big backwards curl on the Buff.

Thanks for posting your report.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12545 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice Sable nice Buff congratulations on a great hunt. Leopard are tough .Took me the day after the last day of my fifth leopard hunt go get one

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK145
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing and congrats on a great hunt!

Posts: 217 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 15 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shotgun46:
Nice Sable nice Buff congratulations on a great hunt. Leopard are tough .Took me the day after the last day of my fifth leopard hunt go get one

My grandfather worked in East Pakistan (Bangladesh) and had a hunting block there during the 60's. He hunted about 2 or 3 months a year, hung tons of baits and never killed one. Saw a lot of tracks and heard them.

Leopards are tough, I have never hunted them. I am probably at least 2 or 3 safaris away from trying. I hope it doesn't take me 5 safaris to get one, but if it does, that is 5 wonderful safaris that I am in Africa and not at work.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bryce,

Nice report, good animals and you are by far not the only one to not get their leopard. As you know we can fix that leopard itch as soon as you give me the word.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Well done and great Sable.

Leopard are tricky where ever you hunt them.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9870 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Good report. As a lefty I am curious as to your type of rifle.