Find
Notify
Tools

Namibia with Afrika Jag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Company: Afrika Jag safaris, Outjo, Namibia

PH: Lukas Holtzhausen, Carl (whose last name I can’t recall—getting old)

Trackers: Kluta and Manuel

Area: 3 days outside of Outjo, Namibia and 5 in the Etosha conservancy

Dates: September 6-14, 2015

Guns: Borrowed camp rifles; Remington .300 H&H magnum and a customized Savage.25-06 with a suppressor.

Weather: Hot, dry, dusty, temps around 100F every day.

Accommodations: very nice bungalow for 3 nights and a tent for 5 nights—which was great!

Game taken: oryx for meat, Eland, Spotted Hyena, 2 (1 bait) warthogs, several jackals, sand grouse

Things I haven’t seen before: Lion (heard), aardwolf, python, African wild cat

It had been 7 long years since my last trip to Africa and it was great to be back! This trip was a combination family vacation and 50th birthday present for both my wife and me. My grown daughter took time off from work and joined us for her first trip to Africa and I revealed in seeing it through her eyes.
We started in Swakpmund and did the desert stuff first then to Etosha for 3 nights, where we saw lots of lions (21 in 3 days!). After that, my wife and daughter went to Cape Town for a week of sightseeing and I went hunting with Lukas Holtzhausen at Afrika Jag safaris.

The primary species was Eland and Hyena along with some bird shooting and predator control. It was a wonderful hunt! Lukas runs a terrific operation and is a great guy to hunt with.

We started with a few days hunting Eland in a classic tracking type hunt, on a property about 50 KM from Outjo. As mentioned above, it was hot and dry and we had trouble getting to within range of the Eland.

I was able to take a huge eland bull on day 3 after much tracking. We caught up with him at last light near a waterhole. We crawled through some brush to get a good view then taking a seated position and a rest on Lukas' shoulder, I hit him with the 300 H&H. His front left foot went forward and I knew it was a good shot, however as it was getting dark, Lukas told me to keep shooting to avoid leaving him out in the bush all night. I hit him 3 more times and he was down. You never really think Eland are as big as they are until you get up close. He was absolutely huge; a beautiful bull and wonderful trophy. Not to mention hundreds of kilos of the best meat on the continent! Eland is one of my favorite things to eat!

The next day we moved up to a 40,000 HA ranch on the border with Etosha National Park. The target now was a spotted Hyena, something I have wanted to hunt for a long time. The camp was rustic but perfect for my needs. It was my first time sleeping where I could hear Lions and Hyenas at night and I loved every minute of it!

My tent

Guides tent/kitchen/dining room

My favorite spot

Food was great--all cooked over the fire or in a cast iron pot.

I made a new friend--Puner the baby meerkat

The area was again Hot and Dry (it’s Namibia after all!) and very dusty. It was like walking and driving around in a sea of talcum powder. It sure made the tracking easy. Even I could recognize and follow some of them.

Lion Track. The only thing that gives you more of a pucker factor than seeing your first lion track is hearing him that night in a tent. We never saw them and in hind sight, I’m glad we didn’t. If we had there would have been an expensive decision to make.

Hyena track

One morning we found a python sitting by a water hole. He was at least 10 feet long!

Thankfully only one sign of a poacher was found--an old snare which had the skeleton of a dead oryx next to it.

Evidence of lion depredation on local cattle was there to be seen. There appear to be LOTS of lions in northern Namibia.

I am a passionate upland hunter and was very happy to get in several nights of sand grouse shooting over waterholes. More like a dove than our grouse but they are fast, fun and taste great!

I was asked to do some predator hunting to get rid of a few jackals while I was there. It was a lot of fun calling them in with a foxpro call, which they responded to readily.

The hyena and jackal hunting was done at night so I had the added enjoyment of the unbelievably dark Namibian sky. We don’t see sky like that here in the Northeastern US and I absolutely love looking at it. One shooting star was so bright the trees cast shadows.

The Hyena was the highlight of the trip though. We had hunted using bait, tracking and calling but were coming up empty despite the whooping around the camp at night. On the 5th night we drove out to an area near a couple hills ant set up at about 1230am. Again using the FoxPro—the electronic sounds of a hyena feeding frenzy echoing around in the night. After a few series of calls, we could hear in the distance, a couple of hyena whooping in reply. Estimated to be a couple kilometers away, we would call and they whooped, getting closer each time. After about 45 minutes Lukas said he could see one in the beam of his red flashlight. I couldn’t find them in the scope and they melted away into the night.

Lukas quietly told me we would try a stalk. We crept along in the pitch dark for a few hundred meters until we hit a cattle fence. Lukas shined the light down the fence line and 2 red eyes looked back. The fence prevented us from getting the sticks in place correctly so I leaned out over the fence using the sling for support, and steadied myself on the sticks which were set like a monopod. I looked through the scope and saw the eyes still looking at us and, aiming low and left, squeezed off a shot with the .25-06. I promptly told Lukas I was not confident in the shot but he was grinning at me! The rifle was fitted with a suppressor and he said he heard a "thump".

We carefully and slowly walked up the fence line, Lukas and Kluta (the Damara tracker) looking for tracks with me scanning the bush with the rifle and my flashlight. We heard another hyena whooping a few hundred yards away and then some rustling in the bushes close at hand. Kluta found the tracks, then blood followed by some tissue. 50 more yards and I had my Hyena. It turned out to be a well-placed shot estimated by Lukas at 180 meters.

I'll remember that shot and stalk up the fence line for a long, long time.

It was only at about 2am, over a celebratory beer around the fire that we talked about what else we could've run into during that stalk in the dark.....

I was looking for a trophy warthog too and was lucky enough to come across this guy after getting busted on a Kudu stalk (HUGE kudu!). He was drinking by himself near mid-day at a cattle dam. We edged our way up along some brush and, again using Lukas’ shoulder as a rest, hit him with the 300 H&H. I can still see him do a backwards summersault at the impact. While Lukas went for the truck I walked up on my first trophy warthog. As I approached him the tusks just kept getting bigger and bigger! Lukas was elated with him saying it was a huge hog for Namibia. I couldn't get over how long he was.

I had mentioned to my friends that I thought after this trip, my 4th, I would have Africa out of my system. However, while enjoying a Windhoek Draft that last night, looking up at the Southern Cross and the Milky Way, basking in the glow of the Mopane fire, I was no longer sure.

I am positive I'll be back in Africa again.

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice report and some great trophies. I agree with you on Eland meat! Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great fun and great report...
Thanks!!!

Posts: 10182 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Great report,well done,a great hunt.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I love your attitude. Congrats on a fine hunt!

Mike

Posts: 21237 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
That is wonderful, congrats on your safari. I have a bit of a hyena envy. I'd love to get one. I hope to get back there next year, and this gives me something else to think about.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great report, thanks for posting.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Proper.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome.....thanks for sharing the adventure.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lukas is a good man. I've hunted with him many times.
I'm hoping I can find someone to come along next year. He found a property around the Waterberg area that may be the hotspot for a big Leopard.

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done. Sounds like you had a very enjoyable hunt!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your story is brief and to the point, yet gave me a great feeling of the excitement and the fun that you had on this adventure. It was a pleasure to read and to be able to vicariously "see that adventure".I am a bowhunter and usually don't get the sense of satisfaction from gun stories that this simply tale gave me. I guess that is because it focused on the joy of being there without saying too much.

SG

Posts: 29 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 30 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Of all the great meals I've had in Africa, eland steaks cooked on your own cast iron plate from my father's eland were the absolute best. Our PH even got into a serious negotiation with the land owner to purchase the rest of the meat.

I also agree about seeing them up close. They are huge!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice. Thanks for the report.

Posts: 1793 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Atticus, Wonderful report and pictures. We can tell that you love the bush. My wife and I spent a week in 2014 around Etosha. We are planning to go back.I would like to hunt a bit there also. Can you say that you recommend Africa Jag Safaris? ( I realize that it is bad of me to put you on the spot, like this.)

I enjoyied your story and photos greatly. The tent camp looks so "homey". Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It was a great trip.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Can you say that you recommend Africa Jag Safaris? ( I realize that it is bad of me to put you on the spot, like this.)

I certainly do. I'd like to hunt with Lukas again. Hopefully when things calm down up in Damaraland (rhino patrols and poaching), I can get up there and hunt with him on their concession. He is a great guy to hunt with.

"I speak of Africa and golden joys; the joy of wandering through lonely lands; the joy of hunting the mighty and terrible lords of the wilderness, the cunning, the wary and the grim."
Theodore Roosevelt, Khartoum, March 15, 1910

Posts: 250 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 02 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the recommendation. Brian

IHMSA BC Provincial Champion and Perfect 40 Score, Unlimited Category, AAA Class.

Posts: 3339 | Location: Kamloops, BC | Registered: 09 November 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Great report Brian. I grew up in "Central Massachusetts" (Leominster) and have hunted in the Outjo/ Kamanjab area three times in the last three years. I've tried for a spotted hyena a few nights, but ended up either falling asleep or snoring too loudly and scaring them off. I've seen dozens of eland during my trips up there, but none worth shooting like yours. Well done!

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1382 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kallie404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atticus:
Thanks for the kind words everyone. It was a great trip.

quote:
Originally posted by Brian Canada:
Can you say that you recommend Africa Jag Safaris? ( I realize that it is bad of me to put you on the spot, like this.)

I certainly do. I'd like to hunt with Lukas again. Hopefully when things calm down up in Damaraland (rhino patrols and poaching), I can get up there and hunt with him on their concession. He is a great guy to hunt with.

Sorry to cut in here. I also hunted with Lucas about 4 weeks ago and had a great time. I am already planning to return for Hartmanns Mountain Zebra. His farm and concessions are a sure bet for damara Dik-Dik. Lucas is also a great hardworking hunter and guide.

Posts: 109 | Location: Mooketsi& Phalaborwa Limpopo Province RSA | Registered: 13 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice work on the hyena!

On my last trip we called some in, and tried to shine them up with a green light, which they clearly saw and instantly headed for the hills...

Sounds like red is the key!

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Super job, Atticus. Thanks much for sharing. And oh yeah, well done representing. GO SOX! Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote