ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Just returned from my first trip to Africa
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just returned from my first trip to Africa
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted
Dates: April 28 - May 7, 2011
Booking Agent: Ray Atkinson
Outfitter: Robbie Kruger Safaris
PH: Robbie Kruger
Associate PH: "Lappies"
Lodge: Esikhotheni
Trackers: Timba, Tulani, Robert
Area: Kwa Zulu Natal Province 4 hours north of Durban and about 50 miles inland
Rifle: Ruger Model 77 Hawkeye stainless in .35 Whelen and a Bushnell 3 x 9 scope
Ammo: Conley Precision Cartridge with 225 grain Barnes TSX bullets

I was in KZN South Africa with Robbie Kruger Safaris. I took impala, warthog, blue wildebeest, greater kudu, and zebra. As someone who has never shot anything besides whitetail deer and hogs, this was an eye-opening experience!

I had an absolute blast and am already planning another trip but there were some things that I didn't like and want to avoid as much as possible next time.

1) I hated the stupidity of the whole SAPS process at JNB and Durban. (I was hit up for a bribe at JNB and at Durban we met up with the "ammo must be with the firearm" espousing idiot. In the future I will try to go thru only one airport in SA, which I guess means JNB only.

2) I found the Afton House itself to be a bit disappointing in ambiance, although the staff provided great help at the airport and I had good fellow-hunter companionship at the optional steak dinner.

3) My 6000 acre ranch had power lines, telephone lines, a railroad, and a highway cutting thru it.

So questions:

1) Where can you hunt within driving distance of JNB that would have a "wilder" looking experience?

2) Is Namibia better with regard to red tape and idiot government employees handling your firearms?

3) Can you get to Namibia without flying thru JNB or the EU?

4) I really want to go back and get an eland, a gemsbok, a hartebeest, an nyala, and a water buck. Are there any other "biggies" not on that list? (I mean literally large in size.)

EDIT: Photos are at the bottom of the page.

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Africa, You take the good with the bad. At least when you leave, you leave the bad behind. Alternatively, you could..., but no, that could cast you in the same league as A. Hitler.
Maybe next time, some prozac and a gum-guard. Big Grin Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look north at the outfits in Limpopo, especially near Alldays and the Botswana border.
The territory is more remote with little ag,bigger concessions.

The SAP process is LEAST cumbersome at Jo'burg...fly into Jo'burg, stay overnight, get an early morning ground transport service to your outfitter and be hunting in the afternoon (for about the same cost as the connector flight).

PM me if you want a specific outfitter recommendation.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TIA Big Grin or AAW rotflmo

this is africa
africa always wins
even with it's problem I would move there in a heart beat if the opportunity arises

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
I've sent you a PM, bobgrow.

Really, ddrhook, you'd move there? I'd like to hunt there as often as possible, but I couldn't stand to live behind fences and metal bars, despite the multiple servants I could afford. But that's just me.

Posts: 440 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: 25 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2) Yes, Namibia is multiples better than S. Africa AFA welcoming hunters and red tape.

3) Yes, easily, the best way IMO is to connect via Frankfurt.

There are many high fenced operations in Namibia, but there are many more that are not. In general, and this is very general, I think South Africa is more scenic but with many more hassles. I prefer Namibia myself. Prices are comparable if you compare apples and apples, with Namibia possibly being a bit cheaper, depending on what you're hunting.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
I've heard there are firearm hassles in Frankfurt, so perhaps it is a tradeoff? Is it non-stop to Windhoek, or do you have a stop at Dakkar?

I don't mind being behind a fence as long as the place is at least 5000 acres and is free of highways and railroads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You should check on what you "hear".

Non-stop.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for something wilder, you might start considering Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Zambia, or Tanzania. If cost is a factor (as it is for most of us), you might have to wait an extra year before going again, but the difference in experience may be worth the wait/expense. There's something appealing about hunting in a place where the animals are truly wild and have never been stocked. And it's fun to see stuff like elephants and wild lions, even if you aren't going to hunt them. Also, if you think you'll ever want to hunt dangerous stuff, you're generally (with a few exceptions) going to have to get out of RSA and Namibia. But if you're not interested in anything beyond plains game, and you're on a tight budget, it seems that Namibia will be a lot better for you than RSA in terms of property size and avoiding government hassles.

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
Namibia! You will love it for plains game. Fly to Frankfurt and direct Windhoek. Cheaper and less commercialized. PM me if you have specific questions.

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
You can also fly from the US to Gatwick (England) and then straight to Windhoek. I checked my bag and gun at Los Angeles and picked them up in Windhoek, no hassles the whole way and great service from the police at the gun check station in Windhoek.

I did my first African trip in 2008 and told myself that I would do one every five years and planned to go back in 2013 but I only lasted until 2011 to book my next hunt.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
I'll definitely look at Namibia. I should say that the place I went had cape buffalo, white (and black) rhino, leopard, and elephant and all except the black rhino were available for taking. In fact, I did a stalk for my wart hog and passed within 80 yards of a cow elephant. Were they stocked, yes, but they didn't seem tame.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2009, we flew via Delta(actually an Air France flt booked thru Delta) from the US to Frankfurt, they moved our guns to Air Namibia w/o us handling and then we flew direct to Windhoek. Checking guns at the Windhoek airport was about an hour but no real problem. Namibia has excellent plains game but is somewhat more expensive than SAA in my opinion. Most areas are high fenced but there are some areas up north that are free range. Research your Namibian outfitter carefully though as there are some old farmers there who are sidelining in selling hunts on their property but they are lousy outfitters.

Posts: 64 | Location: alaska | Registered: 02 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Lots of great places to go in Namibia! I book for a few outfitters there. But, RSA isn't all full of highways either, there is lots of good hunting there too. Don't let this experience rule it out for you.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Well,

I tell ya. TIA on the bribes. My PH has always met me at the airport and taken care of the "hey for 10 dollars I can do this" kind of thing. So with that I'd say pick the company you hunt with--and ask what their policy is to pick you up and drop you off. They should be more than willing to meet you at the airport and help you with that SAPS and bribes stuff.

On the "wildness" of the country--thats other questions to ask. I have hunted on areas that were 14,000 ac, 5,000 ac and 2800 ac..and I can tell you that the 5,000 place had alot more wild feeling than even the bigger place. as for the powerlines and telephone lines...well it is 2010 and not many habited places that dont have power lines. The highway and railroad would not have been high on my list.

Namibia has some great hunting, but like Ann said so does SA. I have just hunted in the Limpopo area of SA, and can tell you the area I was in was wild enough! I'll be hunting again this year in the same area I hunted in last year.

Glad you had a good trip. Good luck planning the next one!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
I've updated the post at the very top with some formatted facts that I've noticed other posts have.

My .35 Whelen performed very well on everything with full pass thrus on all except the kudu, where the bullet lodged under the skin on the far side. As other posts here have indicated, the .35 Whelen is not well known there, to say the least. Neither of my PHs nor the lodge owner had even heard of it. If I had to do it over, I would have gotten a .338 WM with a muzzle brake. Muzzle brakes aren't an issue over there as I wear electonic ear muffs all the time and the tracker and PHs cover their ears. The reason for the .338 wouldn't be because it is more common but because I am thinking a bit more oomph might be welcome for the eland which I expect to shoot next trip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rob...the Whelen should work fine on Eland, but if you want to move up, go with a 330 Dakota or a 375H&H with 250-300 AFrames.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

Posts: 551 | Location: Northern Illinois,US | Registered: 13 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
I'm not likely to make a change, just giving advice to any newbie who may be thinking about a caliber to take. What makes the 330 Dakota better than the .338 WM -- isn't it a wildcat?

As for the .375 H&H, if I got one of those then I wouldn't have a good excuse for getting the .416 I want! But I agree, a great choice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by postoak:
I'm not likely to make a change, just giving advice to someone who may be thinking about a caliber to take. What makes the 330 Dakota better than the .338 WM -- isn't it a wildcat?

As for the .375 H&H, if I got one of those then I wouldn't have a good excuse for getting the .416 I want! But I agree, a great choice.

The 330 Dakota is a little larger case,and headspaces on the shoulder. You can get 100-150 fps over the 338 Win with the larger bullets.
No, it isn't a wildcat, but it is proprietary to Dakota. The only real drawback is getting brass as Dakota controls the distribution, but its usually available
For Africa, there is never limit on owning great chamberings....you need them all desparately.

Bob

DRSS
DSC
SCI
NRA & ISRA

one of us
posted Hide Post
postoak;

Congratulations on completing your first of many safaris to come. Any photos?

Regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post
I will get up a few when I have time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your 35 whelen will kill any plains game you are after, as they say shot placement is everything. As far as buying a new rifle,, I always seem to "need" something new. First after a 300 ultra mag was a 375 H&h mag, then a 416 rigby. I just like guns,, but I hate muzzle breaks. If the Ph's here on AR are honest with you they will tell you the same thing. The recoil on my 416 rigby is a great deal less painful than the 300 ultramag, or 338 win mag. If you are having to shoot from a prone position and you have a muzzle break in that dry dusty, sand country. You will have grit and sand in your eyes and a dust cloud to look through. Find a buddy who has a 375 or 416 and shoot it off sticks and see how the recoil feels. Recoil off a bench is always worse than of sticks. You may have noise plugs in but if your Ph doesn't have time to cover and you shoot,,,,,ouch,, good luck. Your 35 will smack them all down though,,,I look forward to your pictures being posted. Only 73 days till my next trip over,, Dallas/Frankfurt/Windoek I am counting the days.

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with drwes on the whole "muzzle brake" issue. Uneccessary nuisance.

Posts: 10032 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't hesiate to use the 35 Whelan on eland. I killed mine with one shot from a 7RM.

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Direct flight via Atlanta to Jo'berg. Your PH meets you at the airport. Assists you with SAPS, then you drive to your destinatin in the north whether it's the Northwest, Limpopo, Natal or Mpumalanga. There are large ranches in any of those. Don't overlook the Cape's. Their is a connecting flight but done correctly, hassle free, and the species are very numerous, especially within the Eastern Cape.
Namibia can offer some great hunting as well. Limited in species but huge open areas of country. DG is very good on Buffalo, Hippo/Croc and Elephant. Drop me a line if you need suggestions.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mohan
posted Hide Post
Done both, Namibia, was Better, hassle free, a little less expensive.

Posts: 97 | Location: columbus, ohio | Registered: 04 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SAPS can be a drag, but I use AIR 2000 and it is a breeze. I have not had problems in "outlying" airports i e Richards Bay, Durban or Port Elizabeth. Windehoek has never been a problem, nor has Harre or Buluwayo.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post

Entrance to 6000 acre game ranch.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post

My chalet.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post

Robbie Kruger on the left and "Lappies" on the right, at the lodge bar.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post

Lappies cooking lunch.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post

.35 Whelen shells and Namibian beer.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post

My Ruger 77 Hawkeye.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post

Tulani and me with impala. I'm wearing a T-shirt I got in Transylvania. I figured I didn't need no stinkin' camo for impala.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post

I shot this zebra too far back and we didn't recover him until the next morning. Discussion on how to get him into the vehicle.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post

We had to pass within 80 yards of this guy (or guyette) during my warthog stalk.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post

These are not easy shots when they're in grass such as you see here.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post

Flubbed this shot with a high shoulder impact, but it brought him down instantly.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post

Me pulling on the tail of a 7-8 foot python, in a tree.

One of Us
Picture of postoak
posted Hide Post

I put a good hit on this kudu and he dropped like a ton of bricks. The bullet was lodged behind his off shoulder, under the skin.