ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    8 Buffalo in 9 days. Selous R2 Ruaha. One Charge.

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

8 Buffalo in 9 days. Selous R2 Ruaha. One Charge.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Dates: August 2 – 18 August
Outfitter: Pierre van Tonder
PHs: Pierre v T & Wikus Grunewald
Area Hunted: Selous R2. Ruaha River
Rifles used: John Rigby .416, John Rigby .416, Blaser R93 .375 & CZ 375
Ammo: Factory Federal (.416) & Hornady
Weather: Warm with occasional showers in afternoon
Game Hunted: Buffalo x8, Impala, Zebra, Baboon, Hartebeast, Warthog

This was a family hunt. The hunters were my uncle Robert, 66, two cousins (Henry, 20 & Sidney, 18) & me, 23. All we wanted was buffalo.

We fly from London to Dar with BA. No problems. We then fly straight into the concession on 2nd. Flight time approx. 1hr

There is hardly any time difference, which is great. That afternoon we check our zero and unpack. I was the only one shooting open sights on my .416, so I didn’t have to worry about a scope.

Aug 3rd.

We get up at 5am. Quick cup of coffee, some breakfast & off we go.
4 hunters so 2 vehicles.
We pick up buff tracks at 7am. Henry, PH Wikus and I set off.
The wind was useless, so we kept on bumping then for the next 3hrs. We had seen a couple off good bulls in the herd so we decided to keep on going.
At 10:45 we finally push the herd out of the thick stuff into an open area where we ran to get a shot with the sticks being set up quickly by Wikus. Two bulls stepped out of the herd to see who we were. Henry rested his CZ .375 on the sticks and settled his crosshairs on the bull on the left (70yrds), the sticks slipped down momentarily but it was only a matter of seconds before he got a shot off just as the one on the right turned away.
The shot was slap in the middle of his chest through the heart. He ran 50yrds and as we ran after it into more deep thicket the large blood-trail told us it wasn’t going far and after a few minutes we heard the loud death bellow and sure enough there it was. After an insurance shot it died and Henry finally got his first buffalo after a 10 day hunt last year with a different safari company which offered no chances at all. A beautiful bull with very wide horns, it will take him along time to shoot one better.
Robert and Sidney with Pierre picked up no tracks and stalked some wary Hartebeast three times to no avail.

4th
I shot a Lichtenstein Hartebeast at 50yrds. The shot was with open sights. The first shot was good, but I fired three more into him as he ran away. I pretty much weighed him down with lead weight. It was a great stalk, and one I will remember.
Nothing else was shot but Sidney and Robert were following buffalo all day.

5th
In the morning Sidney and Robert follow buffalo all morning but don’t see a bull as the cows are at the front of the herd. Robert gets on the sticks three times but there is no suitable shot until 10am when Robert shot his first buffalo at 60yrds with his Jeffery .416. His shot was in the shoulder and the bull runs 20yrds and drops dead. His PH was Pierre van Tonder. In the afternoon Sidney shot a super zebra at 148yrds with his Blaser R93 .375, only one shot.
Henry got a Hartebeast that was easily stalked with a large mound between them. He dropped it on the spot with his .375 with a 110 yard frontal chest shot.

6th
At 7am in the morning Sidney and Robert pick up tracks of a herd and follow them. When they get off the cruiser Robert turns to Sidney and suggests that he leaves his gun and takes the camcorder instead but Sidney tells him to take his gun. As they are following the tracks the trackers hear the buffalo but it turns out to be a dugga boy who comes into view 60yrds away facing them. Sidney fires a shot that goes through a tree and the buffalo runs (on later inspection the bullet broke the front leg and skimmed the heart). The trackers follow the blood for 5 minutes into heavy thicket. 30 seconds before the charge Robert is using his camera and Hamilton (a tracker) takes it off him and points to his gun. Then Pierre and Sidney walk into the buffalo 15yrds away from them. The bull charges them and Pierre fires two shots from his .500 Jeffery and Sidney fires three shots with his straight action Blaser. The bull passes 10 inches from Pierre (on later inspection the hoof print can be seen next to Pierre’s foot print) and drops between Sidney and Pierre. It gets up in a millisecond to pass 2 feet from Sidney. It charges Robert who was standing 5 yards away in front of a tree. He had fired two .416 bullets at it as it had charged the others, but had short chambered the third bullet in the excitement so got a dry click. He had a 50/50 decision – left or right. He jumped to the right and cut himself on a tree but one cut is better then a pair of horns! The buffalo went left. Sidney and Pierre ran after the dugga boy which had ran 30 yards and put two more shots in each along with another from Robert. While the buffalo ran off the game scout let off his AK47 but missed the buffalo! During the charge Sidney said he experienced slow motion and had the biggest adrenalin rush of his life (as did his father!). It was his first ever buffalo and he had the most amazing experience possible. The buffalo had a range of shots in his body, one .375 in his cheek and two .500 in his head, one of which must have gone above the brain and out just below the back of the boss. All this was over by 7.30 in the morning. After the hunt all of them were laughing with relief and the trackers were in hysterics.
This was Sidney’s first buffalo. He is 18yrs old.
The day before, Robert had jokingly wished for a charge and got exactly what he wanted. Beware what you wish for, as they say!

7th
Robert shot a zebra with his .416. 140yrds
Henry and I saw buffalo all day, but they were always in the thick stuff.

Hunting this time of year in the Selous was hard as there was still a lot of unburnt long grass, and dry leaves like cornflakes in the thicket.

8th
Robert & Sidney saw a female Leopard in the middle of the day.
They had no luck with the buffalo.
We had a long day on our cruiser. Little was seen for most of the day. I shot a baboon with my .416 at 70yrds. The 450grn hit him in the chest so he didn’t run very far!

It was at about 5pm, whilst driving along ‘buffalo road’, a herd of buffalo was spotted to our left.
As the light was running out on us we made chase through the thick bush. At one point we were running so fast that we almost ran into the middle of the herd.
At a quick inspection I didn’t see any bulls in the group. Just a split second later the tracker pointed to the top of the hill to our left. There stood a lone bull. I raised my faithful .416. Just as I lined up on his shoulder he ran off. As the light was going very quickly Wikus, and I, took chase. We ran as fast as we could to the top of the hill to try and catch up with the bull. As we got to the top we saw not one, but three bulls. I shouted to Wikus ‘WHICH ONE?’ he replied “THE ONE IN THE MIDDLE”. I needed no further instructions. My shot was quickly fired into the bull as he ran parallel to us. The shot hit him hard in the lungs. The bull only just made it to the top of the next hill before he died. I was exhausted and it took some time to get my breath back.

I was very pleased with the bull. Not a record breaker, but a great hunt & one I shall remember.

9th
Today I was with Sidney and Pierre. He was now looking for his second Buff.
We left camp nice and early. It was long before we picked up some fresh tracks down by the river. They had been down to drink just hours before we arrived.
We followed them until we reached some thicket where we waited in an opening to see if the buffalo would turn but they didn’t. So we followed them to a dry riverbed where we ambushed them on a bend but missed them just as they crossed. We went and rested on a rock hoping that there might be some stragglers of the heard, which had not yet crossed the bed. After ten minutes of waiting we suddenly herd some rustling in the bush above the riverbed. Then in the bush we could see a bull moving. He disappeared for a minute and then along with a cow, another bull and two calves he walked onto the riverbed 35yrds away. Sidney waited two seconds while he lined up the bull and then fired. They never saw it coming and the other buffalos turned with the grace of a ballet dancer and high tailed it. The bull took a further two shots and then ran up the bank. 30 seconds later we heard the death bellow and found the bull 10yrds away from the riverbed and Sidney put another insurance shot into him. John could have potentially shot the other bull but a cow blocked a clear shot.

Having shot his first buffalo early the first morning Henry was back on point accompanied by Robert and led by Wikus. Quickly finding buffalo tracks they were once again led into the deep thicket and walking on the fallen leaves makes a lot of sound. Taking it easy and waiting for the herd to reach an open area a shot (from Sidney) was suddenly heard, despite not being close it was loud enough to spook the buffalo and with a few more shots the buffalo panicked and started to run off. With a quick decision Henry and Wikus ran to the left to cut them off and with the sticks up Henry rested his .375 and watched as the buffalo ran in front single file. Fortunately the bull was at the back and as it entered the open it paused to look at them, Henry was ready and fired instantly, a perfect shot in the shoulder and the buffalo ran off, as they followed it a loud death bellow was heard and the buffalo was found dead 60 yards away. A hard boss but not as wide as his first, but it did get his adrenalin pumping!

10th
Very hot today. Picked up tracks early morning with Sidney and Pierre. Wind hopeless all day. Eventually the herd splits into two groups. We follow one, but turns out that there is no hard boss there, except an old cow, which is blind. We watch her as she walks into two trees. It was hard work in the thicket as they kept running every time we got nearby.
In the other cruiser, Henry and Robert were with Wikus and after finding Dugga boy tracks Wikus told them about the a group of 4 often found in the area. Wikus had recently taken one from the group and was sure the other 3 were nearby. They quickly found them and after a 20 yard shot was not possible due to the long grass and one lone tree, we saw 2 of them 90 yards away with one blocking the big one behind, and only its horns and neck could be seen. Robert pulled off a brilliant shot with his .416 in the neck dropping it immediately and we found it dead on arrival. A brilliant buffalo to complete the Hiscox’s hunting. Robert had wished the night before for an early buffalo and lunch at the camp, and this one was shot at 08:30!

11th
Everyone has now shot their 2nd Buffalo, except me!
I was with Sidney and Pierre. Today was dedicated to getting the final buffalo.
We drive Simba Road, where we know there are Buffalo. The problem is the ground is covered in dry leaves like rice crispies, which makes hunting them almost impossible. We hoped we would catch them out in the open.
We decided to take an early lunch at 12:30 and wait for the day to cool down. Hopefully then the Buff will start to move again.
At around 4:30pm we make a slow walk down to some water. We see plenty of zebra and Impala, but no buff. As the light was once again running low Sidney turns down a Hartebeast and I decided to have a go at a zebra. After a failed stalk we decided to head back to the cruiser, cutting through the forest. On our way back Hamilton, a tracker, thought he heard some walking in front of us. Just as we started walking again we started to hear some tick birds above us. Suddenly the mood changed. We were hunting again, and the buff were close.
We saw the herd grazing in front of us in the open. The wind was perfect and the trackers had smiles on their faces. Things were looking good! It was a large herd of about 200 +.

Picking out a hard boss was going to be tricky. Pierre soon spotted the bull and we moved in. Suddenly Pierre stopped and said “TAKE HIM”. My Rigby .416 was on his shoulder, the bull had stopped as was looking straight at me. He was 70yrds away. This was a long shot for me, especially as I was using my iron sights. I put the bead on his chest and squeezed the trigger. The Nosler Partition slammed into him. The bullet went straight through the middle of the heart. He ran 50yrds and dropped. He was finished. I was over the moon with my shot. To wound him this time in the evening would have been a disaster. I love my open sights! It was a beautiful bull and a lovely buffalo to end the safari on.

The heart from my second buffalo.

12th
8 buffalo shot. Time to relax.
We all got up late and spent the day fishing on the Ruaha for Tiger fish. We wade into the middle where a sand island has formed. 10 minutes before there was a crocodile there but it was a small 8 footer. 40yrds from the island there was a large pod of hippos and two males fighting so I decided to bring my .416.
I lost a big fish in the afternoon and Henry caught a small tiger fish. No metal trace, so the tiger just bit through the line.
We fire off a few rounds on the range at bottles & the next day we fly home.

An amazing trip.
Many thanks to Pierre and Wikus for making it possible.

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some more photos from our trip:

Fishing for tiger fish

In the skinning shed

The Lads.

Henry with his buffalo.

Robert's bruise from the tree.

Good blood trail

An elephant.

Robert on the sticks.

Another photo of Sidney's second buffalo.

Happy Days!

Zebra's back.

John with the sunsetting.

There out there somewhere!

Bit light for buffalo!

John again.

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
jcorry

Congratulations to all of you. Great trophies. Sounds like you all had an amazing time.

Mike

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 686 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Great report and great buffalo hunt!!!! Saeed will be jealous with all the buffalo hitting the dirt!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
No one works harder than Pierr'e and Wikus. It is evident from the report that you and your family aren't afraid of some pretty hard hunting yourselves!

Don't you love the really defined stripes on the Selous Zebra. While every Zebra makes a fine rug, those with no shadows are especially cool!

You didn't mention Moses and the quality of the food. Even with all the walking, did you folks gain a little weight from the cusine?

Great report and fine trophies!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7547 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
J, You really got me psyched... Heading into camp with Pierre... Leaving the USA this Saturday...
Great report and good shooting to all...

Mike thumb

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys took home some grand old bulls on the hunt!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Great hunt and even better photos. Thanks for sharing...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
Eight nice Selous buff bulls in 9 days! Good work when you can find it!

I smile thinking about all those buffalo steaks. Fry some eggs and cut the potatoes for chips, and you have my favorite meal.

Congrats on a great hunt.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2988 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JCorry, I did the exact same hunt with Pierre and Wickus a year ago July. Great time...Pierre's a character, isn't he! We also experienced a Buff charge in the Elephant Grass from 15 feet, and Pierre had 2 shots in him and it was all over in a nano-second. He was using a 375 RH bolt gun (he's a lefty), but said later he was getting something better. Glad to see he has a 500 Jeffery now. I'll have to bust him when I see him at Dallas SCI...."2 charges in 2 hunts....are you a Mark Sullivan wanna-be???"

Did you say Lichstenstein Hartebeast???? you mean "Kongorni"?...Biebs

Posts: 20094 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow 8 buff in 9 days... neat hunt and great pictures. And you are right, I think the young man will never forget this hunt!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Fabulous pics!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story and pics

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful area, great report. Thanks

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aziz
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, what a hunt! you got some great trophies. A very enjoyable repot and excellent photos.

Regards
Aziz

photo 5a71b091-8ccb-440e-8358-1ba8fe6939cb_zpsga1mmy00.jpg

Posts: 591 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a hunt. Congrats

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JudgeG:
No one works harder than Pierr'e and Wikus. It is evident from the report that you and your family aren't afraid of some pretty hard hunting yourselves!

Don't you love the realy defined stripes on the Selous Zebra. While every Zebra makes a fine rug, those with no shadows are especially cool!

You didn't mention Moses and the quality of the food. Even with all the walking, did you folks gain a little weight from the cusine?

Great report and fine trophies!

Moses wasn't there because he was doing a computer course! But Alex his assistant was still an amazing cook there is nothing better then his buffalo tail soup.

It was an amazing hunt overall and one i will always remember.

Regards, S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...9pI&feature=youtu.be

"Where is an elephant's sexual organs? on its feet because if it steps on you you're fu*ked"

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed that! Great animals, and thanks for sharing.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you all enjoyed the report.
It was a perfect safari & no one was hurt.
I think we will go for 8 jumbos next year!

John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report and what a great mob of buff trophies you guys took,never mind Saeed being jealous.... HELL, I'M BLOODY JEALOUS Big Grin would love to be able to hunt there,well done

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a hunt! I'm off to bed with visions of high adventure dancing in my head. Thanks. Jim

Posts: 136 | Location: Great Falls,MT | Registered: 28 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great memories. can't wait for more next year

Regards, S.

"Where is an elephant's sexual organs? on its feet because if it steps on you you're fu*ked"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Simply Marvelous!! I leave for RSA April 8th. These pictures and others like them here will have to tide me over until then.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A big thank you for sharing your photos and memories. They warmed up a damned cold day in Duluth!

"Shoot hard, boys."

Posts: 115 | Location: Duluth, MN | Registered: 17 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
What a hunt! Congrats to all. Hunting with PVT will always be an adventure.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a great report and hunt! Those were graet pictures! Cool

The things you see when you don't have a gun.
NRA Endowment Life Member
Proud father of an active duty
Submariner... Go NAVY!

Posts: 436 | Location: Lynchburg, Home of Texas Independence | Registered: 28 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just came across this again and brings back great memories

Check out a hunt report of mine and jcorry's recent trip to Turkey for boar: Driven Boar Report

Regards, S.