Tools

Eastern Cape hunt April 16-30
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted
Outfitter-Frontier Safaris, Burchell game reserve Frontier Safaris

Booking Agent-Cabela's

Location-Eastern Cape RSA, near Alicedale (1hr north of P.E)

Dates- April 16-30th

If you have dial-up internet this could take awhile!

This was our first trip to Africa, 5 of us went, and it was everything we imagened and more! We flew from Vancouver BC through Frankfurt Germany to South Africa. When we arrived in Johannesburg I was a little worried about the good old SAPS procedure mgun so we arranged for "Optima" transfer service beforehand, $60US, to meet us. We didn't get the pre-approved gun permit, just showed up at the office with the paperwork filled out.
Everything went smootly with the SAPS, there was only one officer and he was trying to do too much at once (ie. help 8 hunters at once instead of one at a time) but we got our import permit in about an hour and all was well.

Speaking of Optima, these guys have access to the whole airport, and seem to know everybody, they met us directly off the plane. When we got to customs there was 300 people in front of us in 5 or 6 lines and we actually skipped in front of them all!! that alone was worth the $60 They collected our firearms from the airline themselves and took them and us to the police office, then on to our connecting flight.
I would use them again in a heartbeat, even now that I know where I'm going!

Arrived in Port Elizabeth during their "Splash" festival. We stayed at the Beach hotel, right by the ocean, and took in a great fireworks show on the beach our first night. Spent too much money on souvenirs the 2nd day and were off to tour Addo elephant park on day 3.

A few pics of Addo (which I recommend checking out if your in the area)...

Frontier Safari's, run by Barry Burchell, was awesome. The concession is around 80-90K acres, one of the biggest in the eastern cape I'm told and was totally "fair chase", unlike a few other ranches we visited, but I'll get into that later. Great food, beautiful rooms, and most importantly the people were easy to get along with. There was 8 or 9 PH's, we got to know them all and would recommend all of them, you would think there would be at least 1 asshole but there wasn't!. My PH did an excellent job as well, I didn't even want to strangle him after 10 days Wink

Here's a pic of the lodge, it's built on a cliff, what an awesome view!

OK, on to the good stuff, the hunting...

Without getting into too much detail, I made some great shots and some horrible ones but luckily didn't have to track anything. I was using my 300win mag with 180gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaws. Closest shot was at 25yds on the Duiker and longest was 370yds on my Kudu! I didn't measure everything, as it really didn't matter, but the ones I did were- 5" duiker, 50x45 1/2" Kudu, 41" gemsbuck, 12 1/2" bushbuck.

Missed 2 bigger ones before this guy, seems I was Impala jinxed

Ended up with 10 animals in 10 days, the bushbuck took 4 days alone, saw 2-3 bigger but just couldn't get a shot. Between the 5 of us we are bringing back 33 animals! I took 60 rounds of ammo and brought back 27. We are getting the taxidermy done in the RSA by the outfitter (they do good work, checked out the shop a couple of times). The only negative of the trip was the size of a few of the ranches we hunted on (not at Frontier Safari's). We took a 5hr drive north where we shot the springbuck (black and common) and the gemsbuck. One area was 1000 hectares and the other was 1200, that's just too small for me. I walked from one corner to the other in less than 45 mins and that included a large ridge we climbed. I was told most people just drive in a few hundred yards past the gate and sit by the truck until 2 guys on horseback drive the gemsbuck herd by you!! I was having no part of that and went after them on foot, still not that much of a challenge because if you messed up the stock they could only run so far, with no trees/bush to hide in. I'm still happy to get these animals but it's just not the same. I much prefered Kudu and Bushbuck hunting as if you messed up a stock they were gone for good. I guess that's the nature of the buisness, if your going to advertise 8 or 10 animals in 10 days then you've got to produce.

Here's a good pic of the gun "battery" cheers

I've got a bunch of other misc. pics if anybody wants to see them. Any questions?, I know I had lots before my first trip, Thanks to all for the great info here at AR wave

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing photos and report.
Does Andri Fox still guide for Barry?
Hunted with them 2001, lucky for me they had gemsbok on the main ranch and didn't go through what you did. Also watched a Spanish hunter shoot a warthog from cabin porch. Very log down hill shot

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Frontier in 2000. I had a good trip as well. Congrats on your trophies and your first safari! Quite an adventure isn't it?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7557 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Frontier in 04, well run outfit. Who was your PH?

Nice trophies!

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
I wondered if someone had ever shot something off the deck animal. We saw an average nyala bull and a nice waterbuck bull within 300yds of our huts.

Sheldon was my PH, the other 2 we had were Andrew and Dave. I don't remember meeting an Andri.Andrew and Sheldon have been there for quite a few years now I think.

It was a great adventure, can't wait for the next one, Cape Buffalo mgun

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report. That is a really nice Gemsbok for the Eastern Cape.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Dave on my trip, actually hunted free range animals over by his folks place. Unfenced, wild kudu, springbuck, etc. Was alot of fun hunting like that.

Frontiers prices have almost doubled since I was there in 02... would probably go again, but for not "too" much more money can go hunt buff which is too bad as I would really like to go hunt with them again....

Posts: 564 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad someone has had a good experience with these people. I hunted with them in Namabia in 02. My PH was Fred's son-in-law, I don't remember his name. At the end I had an extra day and ask if we could take the day and tour Etosha Nat'l Park and they said I could hunt or yes tour but touring would be an extra 150 USD. I wanted to see Etosha so I accepted the screwing with out a kiss. The trophies were above average but the experience was less than averabe when compared to prior safaries and safaries taken since, so I would say I hunted with them twice first and last.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
sorry to hear that, the experience we had in S.A. is the main reason I would recommend them (not necessarily the hunting, as good as it was)