Notify
Tools

Family Fun In RSA
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted
Outfitter Numzaan Safaris

Travel Agent Steve Turner The best service i ever had. (I have tried the others)

Guest House African Sky Very nice place. Highly recommended

Hunters Myself, Alex, Drew

Observers Carol (wife) Tracy (Alex's GF)

Weapons Weatherby Mark V 300 wby Remington 700 30 06

The plan was to hunt leopard this year. With the great economy in Michigan that was out of the question. I had bought this trip a few years ago at our local SCI banquet. Decided to take the family in honor of my youngest sons graduation.

The flight on Delta was the usual. When we arrived in Jo-Berg and were greeted by Godfrey from the African Sky Guest House. We then proceeded to SAPS office, where i found my lovely Weatherby rifle in two pieces. The stock was broke in the wrist area. My wife thought i was going to cry. Frowner

The only rules for this trip was, only shoot animals that we have not hunted and NO shooting from the truck. That and we are having fun no matter what happens.(including my rifle)

Because of the rifle issue, i had to borrow one from outfitter. I ended up with a Browning A-bolt in 338 win. Of course every time it was time to shoot you would have the wrong gun in your hand. We had two PH's and were split up most of the time. I hunted with Drew and Alex had the two girls with him. I had loaded some 150 gr solids for the special animals. More on that later. The boy's were aloud to shoot what ever they wanted as long they hunted it properly. Because of this rule they did not shoot alot of animals, but learned to HUNT.

Here are a few photos

Alex With a fine Heartebeast

Drew with a huge Duiker

Alex with a steenbuck

Drew with a great waterbuck

Alex shot a warthog.

The only plains game i took was this old bushbuck

The real fun started after dinner each night. When everyone else was sitting about the fire telling stories,the two PH's and myself would go out for some night hunting. It is amazing the sights and sound that you hear and see after dark. We tried different methods each night, calling baiting and spotlighting.

I started with a Civet Cat

Next night was a porcupine

The next night we were surprised by a Bushpig

From the same blind i took this Honey Badger

We looked for a Jackel, but no success.I did miss a Genet Cat one night. The 30 06 with solids did a great job an these animals. Very small hole in and out.

As with most trips it end way to soon. Here is the whole group, while having a picnic by the river on our last night.

Leopard will have to wait but this proves you can still have fun without spending a fortune.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like great fun Chris! Thanks for the report. Bad luck on the 300 Wby.

Regards,

Cliff

Posts: 436 | Location: Fulshear, TX | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Handsome group, love the badger!

~Ann

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
great badger. tu2

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great hunt Chris!

Fantastic Duiker and the Steenbok has great mass.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12539 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, the badger is way cool!! Congrats on the great time with the family.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you hgad a blast on your trip.

I love the badger and the porcupine.

And that bushbuck really is an old one and hwo far his horns have worn really looks nice.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1042 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Way cool,hunting with your family,I can't wait to introduce my son to Africa,congrats on a great hunt tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Great trip with family! I loved the waterbuck the most.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Outstanding and family to boot, great stuff.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
Great trip.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Great hunt with your family,nice trophies,amd memories that will not fade.
Priceless!!

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great trophies! Congratulations!

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted Hide Post
Great Trip, Chris. Honey badger don't give a shit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great trip with the family. I'm curious, do you think the airline purposely broke your rifle or was it accidental?

Posts: 20 | Location: SE Ohio | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow Chris, great hunt and kudos on taking the whole clan! Sorry about the rifle. I had to chuckle as I read through your opening information... I, too, think Steve Turner is excellent and give him high marks, same with Africa Sky and I hunted with Stef and Lenette at Numzaan way back in 2002 and had a fun hunt taking a number of good animals. Your post brought back good memories! Congrats again!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
What rifle case did you use? I'm sorry about the loss...

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
What rifle case did you use? I'm sorry about the loss...

I am not sure what could have happened to the rifle. The other rifle i took was at perfect zero. Two shots to check it and we were good. I have used that same Tuffpak and never had any problems before. possible that it had a slight crack that i did not notice? I know i shot that rifle 150rds before we left with no problems.

Here is what i found when we opened it

I am now on the hunt for a replacement stock. If anyone has one please let me know.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Wow Chris, great hunt and kudos on taking the whole clan! Sorry about the rifle. I had to chuckle as I read through your opening information... I, too, think Steve Turner is excellent and give him high marks, Same with Africa Sky and I hunted with Stef and Lenette at Numzaan way back in 2002 and had a fun hunt taking a number of good animals. Your post brought back good memories! Congrats again!

Russell I did not hunt with Stef but did meet him the first day when i picked up a loaner rifle. We actually hunted about 2 hrs north of the main ranch. We were right on the Botswana border. When we were Bushbuck hunting in the river bottoms we could see plenty of game on the wrong side of the river.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Hunting with family is great. I really like your bush pig.

Mad Dog

Posts: 1184 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wildlife Gallery
posted Hide Post
Chris,

Looks like a great family trip!!! Well done...

Committing ourselves to world class turnaround and quality.
www.thewildlifegallery.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chris,

Great report, and a fantastic family vacation.

Always glad to see a family enjoy an outdoor

experience, good on you and your family....Butch

Posts: 558 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Great fun! And it most be special to see the young lads perform like this Smiler

You got some special trophies. Congrats to all involved Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote