Find
Notify
Tools

65 Year Old Rookie Safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted
Unlike most first time Africa hunters, I never had a burning desire to go on a safari, although I've been a hunter for over 50 years. My wife actually got me interested after returning from her third business trip to Mozambique in 2011. Having amassed around 500,000 frequent flier miles, she suggested I hunt for plains game for a few days, and then she'd fly into Windhoek and we'd play tourists for a week. Her only stipulation was we had to fly business class using her ff miles- no problem. Using AR as my guide, I thoroughly researched PH's in Namibia, and came up with Jan du Plessis of Sebra Safaris near Kamanjab, Namibia as my top pick. It turned out to be a superb choice.For the tourist part of the trip, I relied on my hero Jim W. aka Frostbit here on AR for recommendations, all of which were spot on. Since both Jim's wife and mine are both nurses, his recommendations carried some weight. Made all our travel arrangements through Kathi of Wild Travel.

BOOKING AGENT: DYI

PH: Jan du Plessis

DATES: August 1 to August 8, 2012

RIFLES: Winchester Model 70 in .300 WSM and Thompson Center ICON in .308

AMMO: Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip .300 WSM in 150 grains and Lake City Match Ammo loaded with 165 grain Sierra Gamekings.

ANIMALS HUNTED: Gemsbok, baboon, kudu, warthog, zebra

ANIMALS TAKEN: Gemsbok (2), baboon (2) kudu, warthog, zebra

ANIMALS SEEN: jackel, hyena, springbok, steenbok, hartebeest, blue wildebeest, giraffe, elephant (in Etosha),black faced impala, aardwolf, duiker, lion (in Etosha), warthog, zebra

After taking the overnight flight from Frankfort to Windhoek and arriving at 5:10AM, my PH Jan was right there outside baggage claim waiting for me. During our 300 mile trip to his operation, we got to know each other better and talk hunting of course. Along the way, we stopped in Outjo, where Jan's two kids attend boarding school. Met his 14 year old daughter Yandi, who is a beautiful young lady and a clone of her mother Mariesje. Got to Jan's home ranch and confirmed zeroes on the thundersticks. Decided to go with the .300 WSM since it shoots a little flatter and with a lot more knockdown power than the .308. After a gourmet steak dinner, I hit the rack early for a 5:00AM wakeup. After a delicious full breakfast, we headed out for a full day in the field. Immediately spotted vast herds of gemsbok, all of whom looked huge to me. Saw two separate herds of mountain zebra, but both were 800+ yards away and boogeying over the mountains. Climbed my first kopie, and wished I was 35 instead of 65. Around 9:00AM, we headed to an elevated blind near a waterhole. The piping leading to the waterhole was leaking, so there was no water in the waterhole. The critters were milling around a little over 200 yards out, where the leaking piping was puddling, Just before 10:00 AM, Jan uttered the three words I would grow to love the most " There's your boool (bull)" Laser ranged him at 224 yards, took the shot and he ran about 50 yards and piled up. He measured a tad under 40", but he'll always be my "40 inch gemsbok bull".

Here's what he looked like:

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Brought the gemsbok bull back to the skinning shed, and had a delicious sitdown lunch rather than sandwiches in the field. Took a brief siesta, and were back at the same blind for an afternoon sit. While Jan was reading an African hunting magazine called "Magnum", I spotted a big male baboon approaching from our 3:00 positon about 400 yards out. When he stepped behind a tree, I stuck the barrel of my .300 WSM out the window, and took the shot. While I blew his left front shoulder to shreds, he still managed to limp off for over 1/2 mile. Jan did a super tracking job and spotted him atop a kopie a couple of hundred yards away, Using a mopane tree as a rest, I administered a finishing shot from about 150 yards out. Here's what he looked like:

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
With two trophies in the salt, we were on our way back to Jan's home ranch when we ran into this nice warthog just before dark. One shot, and he was deader than John Wayne Gacy's paperboy. Here he is, taken just before dark.

Back at the ranch we had the obligatory toast of Jaegermeister followed by some cold Taffel beers.

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
On day two, I finally missed a shot at a 52" kudu. It was only about 130 yards, but he was in thick brush and the shot was deflected by a twig. No excuses- I took the shot and thought I could pull it off. Saw about a 55" kudu, but he offered no shot. Dinner was the backstraps from my gemsbok smothered in mushrooms - delicious.

On day three, had a delicious breakfast of crepes and off we went. Stalked a troop of baboons early in the morning, but the wind shifted just as I clicked my safety off, and they headed out of Dodge. Went to a kopie and Jan spotted a large cow gembok about 3/4 of a mile away. After an exciting stalk, the last 100 yards of which was belly crawling, we got within 80 yards, and I took the shot. She went down as if she were hit by a lightening bolt. She measured right at 41" and is a perfect companion to my 40" gemsbok bull.

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
On day 4, we climbed midway up a kopie overlooking a mineral lick, and saw 5 kudu cows and two small kudu bulls. A troop of about 30 baboons surrounded us from above the kopie, and were howling and screaming at us. Needless to say, all the kudu headed out of there in a hurry. Since that spot was no longer viable, we took out our revenge on the dominant male baboon. When he stepped out at 150 yards, down he went. In the interest of good taste, I won't post a picture, since the .300 WSM had such a devastating effect on him. Had another gourmet lunch, a brief siesta, and headed out at 4:00PM with Jan's son Lourie acting as our gate opener and eagle eyed scout. After driving around for an hour, Lawrie spots a big kudu bull and we get within 80 yards of him. One shot, and he dropped on the spot. Because he was flopping around where he fell, I borrowed Jan's .44 mag pistol and administered a coup de grace. Here's Lourie and me with my 55" trophy kudu.

Here's me by myself:

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Back at the skinning shed just at dark, and I meet three family friends of Jan's from RSA: Johnny, Sandy and Tim. Have a delicious meal of lamb, followed by a Jaegermeister toast and a few Tafels. Following General Alexander Haig's advise, I do my part in destroying Cuba's agriculture crop by smoking a good Cuban cigar or two. Since day 5 is a Sunday, we decide to sleep in and have brunch at 10:00AM. We take the carcasses of my two baboons and use them as bait to attract hyenas, who are devastating Jan's springbok population. Just before dark, we spot a herd of about 25 zebra, and we get within 125 yards. We pick the largest mare, and after the shot she ran about 90 yards and keeled over dead. Here she is:

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
On day 6, we hunt hyenas over our baboon carcass baits from 4:00PM until 2:00AM, but no takers. Saw a few gemsbok and a steenbok coming to the waterhole in the moonlight, but no hyenas appear. On day 7, we hunt a neighbor's property to supply meat for his native workers, and we manage to shoot a cull gemsbok for them. Saw dozens of giraffe, herds of blue wildebeest, and crept to within 30 yards of a herd of red hartebeest. Also saw a 56" or 57" inch kudu, but I'm estatic with the one I've already gotten.

Day 8: Last day of hunting. Since I'm basically tagged out,we decide to hunt baboons from a kopie. Just before noon, a big male baboon steps out at 100 yards, but there's a herd of kudu standing directly behind him. When he finally clears the kudu, he just keeps on walking at a brisk pace and both Jan and I get off shots with no ill effect on him other than scaring the daylights out of him. With my hunt completed, Jan drives me down to Windhoek on day 9 to pick up a rental car, eat at Joe's Beer House, and pick up my wife the next day.

Here's Jan and I toasting the hunt around the campfire:

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Great report! There are very few places I would rather live than the area between Kamanjab and Outjo. Congratulations on a great trip!

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
So when are you going back? You took so long to get over here, now you have to make up for lost time. Good animals for a "rookie." Roll Eyes tu2

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
The burning question is: are you going to do another 50 years of hunting in the USA, or might you go back to Africa?

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GREAT HUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations on your 1st safari.
Isn't Namibia beautiful?

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Here's the guest lodging at Sebra- neat, clean, overlooking a waterhole loaded with critters

Here's where we ate most of our meals and shared a campfire at night:

Here's a sunset right after I shot my kudu:

Joe's Beer House Entrance:

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very nice, good looking animals.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"and he was deader than John Wayne Gacy's paperboy".
????????
Am I mistaken about this reference? ....or is it as tasteless and offensive as it appears to be?!

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by conifer:
"and he was deader than John Wayne Gacy's paperboy".

????????
Am I mistaken about this reference? ....or is it as tasteless and offensive as it appears to be?![/QUOTE]

Yeeah, I almost choked when I read that myself...poking out my minds eye now.

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
unwad yer panties conifer......

Birmingham, Al

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DTala:
unwad yer panties conifer......

Up yours, Jack. .........you ignoramus.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nevada Wapati
posted Hide Post
Nice report with some great animals. Congratulations and thanks for the report.

Posts: 401 | Location: Carson City | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Sorry to further sidetrack this report.....but I found that particular comment hysterical. Of course, I am generally tasteless, ill-mannered, and insensitive. Gotta run.....bye.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
I missed the paperboy comment as I stopped reading the report after the elevated blind at a dry waterhole bit. I like to read stories of a hunt, not an assassination or shoot as there is no skill in the act (good thing the rangefinder was there). I skipped to the viewer's comments and went back to find the paperboy statement. If the statement was "...as dead as Ted Bundy" or someone who deserved to die, I would have chuckled a bit. But not to refer to an innocent victim. It was a bit offensive and low class--kind of like shooting from a blind at a dry waterhole. Just an opinion, that's all.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Gents:
I missed the paperboy comment as I stopped reading the report after the elevated blind at a dry waterhole bit. I like to read stories of a hunt, not an assassination or shoot as there is no skill in the act (good thing the rangefinder was there). I skipped to the viewer's comments and went back to find the paperboy statement. If the statement was "...as dead a Ted Bundy" or someone who deserved to die, I would have chuckled a bit. But not to refer to an innocent victim. It was a bit offensive and low class--kind of like shooting from a blind at a dry waterhole. Just an opinion, that's all.
Cheers,
Cal

Thanks for an honorable opinion. There are so many gentlemen on this site, and so much priceless knowledge. But, every once in awhile a chest-beating Neatherthal appears to show everyone just how undeveloped is his mentality.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bud,

Nice report, good trophies and you obviously really enjoyed your hunt. Good for you.

Congrats!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Conifer:
You didn't point out am I a gentleman or a chest beater?
Cheers,
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Conifer:
You didn't point out am I a gentleman or a chest beater?
Cheers,
Cal

A gentlemen, of re-assuring quality.
...... a pleasure to meet you.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
hey Bud,

So what did you order to eat at Kuchi's Pub?

Nice report, thanks for taking the time to do so. It's interesting that most voicing criticism on this report never take the time to post their own.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Meadows,

Glad you had a great hunt. I've been to Namibia and like you had a great time.

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
JIM:
We walked over to Kuchi's Pub after spending half a day out in the desert. It was 5:00PM, and the guy at the front said they don't open until 6:00PM. We ended up going to the Western Bar just down the street about 150 yards, decorated just like a Montana cowboy bar, complete with Toby Keith playing on his CD. Ordered a complete filet mignon dinner for under $20, and the Taffel beer was $N15 (a little less than $2.00). We loved downtown Swakopmund, especially the open air market where you can haggle with the local artisans. We got some beautiful wood and stone carvings, usually for less than $10 each. Our grandchildren better appreciate my negotiating skills on their behalf for their gifts.
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
hey Bud,

Nice report, thanks for taking the time to do so. It's interesting that most voicing criticism on this report never take the time to post their own.

Cheers
Jim

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bud Meadows:
JIM:
We walked over to Kuchi's Pub after spending half a day out in the desert. It was 5:00PM, and the guy at the front said they don't open until 6:00PM. We ended up going to the Western Bar just down the street about 150 yards, decorated just like a Montana cowboy bar, complete with Toby Keith playing on his CD. Ordered a complete filet mignon dinner for under $20, and the Taffel beer was $N15 (a little less than $2.00). We loved downtown Swakopmund, especially the open air market where you can haggle with the local artisans. We got some beautiful wood and stone carvings, usually for less than $10 each. Our grandchildren better appreciate my negotiating skills on their behalf for their gifts.
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
hey Bud,

Cheers
Jim

Agreed, Swakopmund would be a fun place to hang out for more than a couple of days.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7623 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bud,

Thanks for sharing I enjoyed the report and pictures...Been 4 yrs that my son and I hunted Namibia PG.

One day I'd like to hunt up that way I hear Jan runs a great outfit!

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent!

Posts: 1077 | Location: NT, Australia | Registered: 10 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done, sir! But, you're still a baby at 65!

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
CAL: You're a humourless, judgemental smug little jerk. First of all, JW Gacy never murdered his paperboy, so there was no "innocent victim". It's an old New England expression denoting a bad outcome. And for you to pass judgement on my shooting an animal near a waterless waterhole is just plain stupid. Virtually all of my kills were spot and stalk, and for an old fart of 65, I'm proud that I gutted it out every day and hunted in an ethical yet effective way. I don't need small minded supercilious jerks like you pissing in my punchbowl.Please go practice self insemination.

quote:
Gents:
I missed the paperboy comment as I stopped reading the report after the elevated blind at a dry waterhole bit. I like to read stories of a hunt, not an assassination or shoot as there is no skill in the act (good thing the rangefinder was there). I skipped to the viewer's comments and went back to find the paperboy statement. If the statement was "...as dead as Ted Bundy" or someone who deserved to die, I would have chuckled a bit. But not to refer to an innocent victim. It was a bit offensive and low class--kind of like shooting from a blind at a dry waterhole. Just an opinion, that's all.
Cheers,
Cal

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go, Bud! Congrats on the hunt, and also on not letting no-class jerks spoil your memory or your report of it.

If you're anything like me, you're probably kicking yourself for waiting this long to hunt Africa. I hope you go back and tell us about it here again.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Bud:
You have my apologies.
Cal

www.CalPappas.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the hunt!

Glad your wife convinced you to try it. I suspect from your comments you will be back over someday soon...

Posts: 10969 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dla69
posted Hide Post
The true measure of a successful hunt is measured in the hunters enjoyment. Looks like a great hunt.

Ignore the jackasses.

Posts: 535 | Location: Greensburg, PA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Nice trip Bud, I hope you get to go back. Namibia is a great place to hunt and relax. I look forward to going back there someday.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2012 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Bud, congrats on your first safari! May it be the first of many more. beer

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Meadows: Excellent all around! Thanks for the detailed tale and photos. Congrats on a great hunt. Going to encourage you wife to do some more business travel and pile up some miles in the near future? Smiler -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
And now for the tourist section of my report:

After picking my wife up in Windhoek, we drove up in our rented Toyota Landcruiser to Etosha. Here's the entrance:

We then stopped at Okaukuejo, as recommended by Jim W. aka Frostbit here on AR:

The highlight of our Etosha trip was being charged by a bull elephant who blocked our way while driving between Okaukuejo and Halali. Here he is just before he charged:

I believe we broke the land speed record for driving in reverse. Despite flooring the Toyota, he was rapidly gaining on us, and I thought we were goners after about 100 yards of high speed reverse driving. He finally gave up after 150 yards, but still blocked the road for another 10 minutes. Finally, a commercial truck came along, and backed him down and off the road.