One of Us
posted
Outfitter

Travels and Expeditions Cyrus Khodai

Hunting Dates

March 16-28

Airlines

Air France and Cam-Air
I booked the Air France flights myself, Dulles to Douala with a short layover in Paris, same for the return trip. The Cam-Air flight was booked through the outfitter, Douala to Ngaoundere.

Professional Hunter

Nicolas Dubich, from France with 25 years experience in Tanzania and extensive time in West Africa

Weapon

I elected to rent their rifle, which was a Winchester Model 70 in 375 H&H topped with an older Swarovski scope, No issues at all with the setup

Traveling to Camp

I met Nico in Paris and we traveled together to Douala, overnight at La Falaise, then to Ngaoundere the next day without any issues. His crew picked us up and we headed to camp, 4hrs on semi-paved roads and 2 hours of dirt road.

Camp and Hunting Area

Zone 21 is 160,000 acres abutting the southeast corner of Bouba Ndjida National Park. Camp was a collection of older block buildings, mine had in suite toilet and shower, plenty adequate, nothing fancy. Food was very good and the staff couldn’t have been anymore helpful.
Zone 15 ( not sure of the size ), was similar in construction and design. Both camps had WiFi, 21s when the generator was running, 15s full time, with solar and batteries.

Weather

The internet forecasted 102 to 106 in Madingring , which was on the northeast corner of Zone 21. We were normally back to camp around 11 for lunch and a nap and would head back out around 4, as nothing moved midday. Midway through the hunt the Harmattan wind was pretty strong, something I’d never even heard of before and it seemed to reduce game movement as well.

The Hunt

The first two days were spent analyzing tracks and trying to semi pattern (predict) where the eland were going to be the next morning. The third morning we were in the area before daylight and found fresh tracks soon after light, starting tracking and caught up to them, maybe a dozen or so, at least two mature bulls, and got one of the bulls down.
We got a Roan on the 4th morning and a waterbuck on the 5th morning.
Finally got a buffalo on the 6th afternoon after tracking them for 5 miles in the morning, pulling off the track as the wind started to swirl, going back the afternoon and finding them feeding.
Reedbuck and Hartebeest were taken on day 9, leaving red flanked duiker and bushbuck, which we weren’t having much luck with. I decided to leave 2 days early so on the 12th morning we left early to take me to the airport for the 13:15 flight, arriving in Ngaoundere at 11:00 to see the plane taking off. No flights on Thursday so we head to Zone 15, which is 3 hours from the airport, 2 hrs on very poor pavement and 1 hour of dirt road, arriving before dark.
The next morning we went out for red flanked duiker and killed the 10th one we saw in the fist hour.
Looked at other parts of the concession in the afternoon, but couldn’t turn up a mature bushbuck.
Next morning back to Ngaoundere to start my trip back home.

Cyrus was easy to deal with throughout the entire year leading up to the hunt.
Nico was a joy to hunt with, explaining whatever was going on and always smiling and joking with me and the crew.
I’d definitely recommend the hunt , pretty sure you’ll be successful if you can walk a few miles per day.
Pictures coming up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir,
Which outfit is this ?

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2018 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Travels and Expeditions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh... thanks. I now see that at the head of your report Wink

Posts: 2018 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Gentleman that was supposed to post pictures for me has not been responding, can someone please post them for me ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow what a Hunt!! Can I ask why you would leave early? The minimum I book is 14 days. I don’t care if I just fish a few days.It takes so much to get there. If it’s a family issue sorry!

Posts: 28 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 17 June 2022Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
105 degrees everyday, We’d had an extremely successful safari and only seen one red flanked duiker in the first 9 days and only a few bushbuck females, I thought my chances for them were pretty slim so if I left early I would have been home for Easter dinner.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You Andrew

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to see your pics finally got posted.
That's a great bag of fantastic trophies. Congrats and well done.
It certainly brings back fond memories of some hunting time well spent.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9869 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
Nice hunt.

Great pictures. Thank you Andrew for posting.

105 degrees makes for a warm time in the field with the humidity.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1576 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little humidity, but the sun was powerful. The couple of days that the Harmattan was strong , it did help suppress the temperature

one of us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!
Thank you for sharing!

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

You filled the bill with some excellent old bulls.

Cameroon and its big game animals are amazing in every way, but overwhelmingly in a good way. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats and thanks for posting!

Posts: 1792 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow! What a great hunt. Congratulations to you! Thanks so much for posting and sharing. Gotta’ go there some day. Thanks for posting the pics Andrew!

Posts: 2588 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote