New
Find
Notify
Tools

Big Tusker- Video
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
At the moment I'm filming a hunt in the Niassa Reserve Northern Mozambique. Two mornings ago i filmed this group of elephant bulls on the banks of the Lugenda River. Due to the rampant poaching of elephant in this area,the hunting of these magnificent creatures has been stopped indefinitely. Ten years ago this bull would have been passed up by a trophy hunter. Today it is a Rare sight indeed. Niassa bulls are well known for their incredibly shape and length of Ivory. This bull was no different and what a privilege it was to sit and watch. I thought i must share, Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/RwQX-QSZYLU

Posts: 111 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 19 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Lovely!
I'm. Glad to have seen Bulls in that area prior to the mass poaching

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ManuelM
posted Hide Post
That is a lovely bull, and a bloody lucky one to not have been slaughtered yet by poachers

Any guess on the weight?

Manuel Maldonado
MM Sonoran Desert Hunters
https://www.facebook.com/huntingMM

Posts: 530 | Location: Hermosillo, Sonora | Registered: 06 May 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
do you have pictures zoomed in on those bulls?

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of andy_7x64
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing.
Very nice clip.
Glad to see there are some bulls left...
Hunted there 2009, shoot a large buff.
Beautiful hunting area.
It is sad to hear about the massive elephant poaching there...

Rgds,
Andy

Posts: 119 | Location: Germany, South | Registered: 05 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding, to me it is such a privilege to watch big old bulls like that. I'm going to take a wild guess at the weight. Being conservative, PH said possibly 5' sticking out, 18" to 19" at the lip. My guess is 70# to 75#.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy. That is correct. The PH Matt Hulley miller estimated 70+ Lbs.

quote:
Originally posted by Bama15:
Outstanding, to me it is such a privilege to watch big old bulls like that. I'm going to take a wild guess at the weight. Being conservative, PH said possibly 5' sticking out, 18" to 19" at the lip. My guess is 70# to 75#.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy Buchanan. Film Africa:

quote:

Nice clip.. Did you see many other elephants.. Not necessarily Bulls? What about buffalo?

Thanks again!

Posts: 1865 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes we have seen some cow elephant but no other bulls.We shot a nice old dagga boy on the first morning and a lion on the second. we have been on buffalo every day scince(now day 5) . We have come close but no cigar as of yet. we still after another buff and one of the big blue eland that live here. .
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
quote:

quote:

Nice clip.. Did you see many other elephants.. Not necessarily Bulls? What about buffalo?

Thanks again!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy, are at the same camp that Tim Herald's group is at, Jumbo's outfit? Say "Hi" to Gustav (Goose) for me.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beibs. Gustav says hi and he wishes you where here.he has shot a nice bushbuck and is still looking for a sable and an eland.
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Andy, are at the same camp that Tim Herald's group is at, Jumbo's outfit? Say "Hi" to Gustav (Goose) for me.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Here's hoping he gets a chance to keep growing.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Looks great Andy! See you tomorrow...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great looking bull. Thanks for sharing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow.. A buffalo and lion in 2 days! I'd say you have a pretty good safari going.

quote:
Yes we have seen some cow elephant but no other bulls.We shot a nice old dagga boy on the first morning and a lion on the second. we have been on buffalo every day scince(now day 5) . We have come close but no cigar as of yet. we still after another buff and one of the big blue eland that live here. .
quote:
Originally posted by Safari2:
quote:

quote:

Thanks again!

Posts: 1865 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent clip. What a privilege to view a tusker like that

Tim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Andy, between having both Goose and the Aussies in camp, that hunt must have been sponsored by the Special Olympics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lizzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ManuelM:
That is a lovely bull, and a bloody lucky one to not have been slaughtered yet by poachers

Any guess on the weight?

Bloody lucky that he is not killed by hunters either as each one of you are drooling for his tusks. Lucky there is a hunting ban on these great animals.
Why don't you start hunting poachers?
More dangerous as the poachers are armed with AK 47 and will fight back. That is real conservation.

Posts: 112 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 16 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lizzy:
quote:

Any guess on the weight?

Bloody lucky that he is not killed by hunters either as each one of you are drooling for his tusks. Lucky there is a hunting ban on these great animals.
More dangerous as the poachers are armed with AK 47 and will fight back. That is real conservation.

Lizzy, When did you move from Portugal to Zimbabwe? Your earlier posts have your location as Portugal. Roll Eyes

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

We do. On average more than 1000 arrests a year over the last decade in our areas alone! Meat and ivory poachers, illegal livestock herders, fishermen, charcoal makers, honey hunters and loggers combined. Several 1000 snares removed, weapons of all kinds (including AK47's) confiscated, saws destroyed, tens of thousands of cattle removed, charcoal ovens destroyed, etc, etc. All this in wild and remote places where so called eco-tourism wouldn't step foot! A few murdered rangers; several wounded annually in the call of duty! 95 full time anti-poaching personnel supported by 15 modifed 4x4 vehicles, 2 microlight aircraft and 3 choppers, patrolling 12 months a year.

Just 10 days ago, destroyed 41 cattle encampments with 180+ grass shelters and over 6000 head of cattle driven out of a Game Reserve.

All financed by hunters. Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
quote:

We do. On average more than 1000 arrests a year over the last decade in our areas alone! Meat and ivory poachers, illegal livestock herders, fishermen, charcoal makers, honey hunters and loggers combined. Several 1000 snares removed, weapons of all kinds (including AK47's) confiscated, saws destroyed, tens of thousands of cattle removed, charcoal ovens destroyed, etc, etc. All this in wild and remote places where so called eco-tourism wouldn't step foot! A few murdered rangers; several wounded annually in the call of duty! 95 full time anti-poaching personnel supported by 15 modifed 4x4 vehicles, 2 microlight aircraft and 3 choppers, patrolling 12 months a year.

Just 10 days ago, destroyed 41 cattle encampments with 180+ grass shelters and over 6000 head of cattle driven out of a Game Reserve.

All financed by hunters. Wink

We are fools if we think that we are educating these people for our benefit.IMO we are just doing the opposite.These people wonder around here to pick up info they can use against us.I think they should be banned from this sight.I think their like should not have access to this sight.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lizzy. Hi my Name is Andy Buchanan. I'm a wildlife videographer. I film for the likes of animal planet and I also film hunts . there is a bitter truth about hunting and hunting areas that anti hunters must come to terms with. it's obvious that you know very little about hunting and hunting areas so as a conservation freak, I will try to explain.. If anti hunters ever succeed and stop hunting. It will only be replaced by poaching. The vast majority of hunting areas are not suitable for photographic tourism. I know the thought of killing an animal is disgusting to you but humans (your ancestors included) have been hunting animals for thousands of years. And monitored hunting is as a matter of fact the best sustainable way to conserve the majority of these areas. Remember hunters are passionate about wildlife and pay huge money to hunt. If for a matter of fact you know of an opperator who does no anti poaching in his area then I beg you to do all in your power to expose him but for goodness sake please don't generalise hunters as cowards because, they are the ones paying for the anti poaching units on the ground here. So please watch your actions as I'm afraid you are not fully aware of the consequences of those actions. This is not a matter of deciding with your heart but rather with your logic. Hope you get the picture.
quote:
quote:

Any guess on the weight?

One of Us
Picture of Lizzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lizzy. Hi my Name is Andy Buchanan. I'm a wildlife videographer. I film for the likes of animal planet and I also film hunts . there is a bitter truth about hunting and hunting areas that anti hunters must come to terms with. it's obvious that you know very little about hunting and hunting areas so as a conservation freak, I will try to explain.. If anti hunters ever succeed and stop hunting. It will only be replaced by poaching. The vast majority of hunting areas are not suitable for photographic tourism. I know the thought of killing an animal is disgusting to you but humans (your ancestors included) have been hunting animals for thousands of years. And monitored hunting is as a matter of fact the best sustainable way to conserve the majority of these areas. Remember hunters are passionate about wildlife and pay huge money to hunt. If for a matter of fact you know of an opperator who does no anti poaching in his area then I beg you to do all in your power to expose him but for goodness sake please don't generalise hunters as cowards because, they are the ones paying for the anti poaching units on the ground here. So please watch your actions as I'm afraid you are not fully aware of the consequences of those actions. This is not a matter of deciding with your heart but rather with your logic. Hope you get the picture.
quote:
quote:

Any guess on the weight?

Thank you Andy, for your reply. I know the pro and cons of hunting. But reading comments like: I bagged a lion or I want a big leopard for my collection (sick) doesn't show much respect for the animals. Hunters go for trophies and not for conservation (only to make sure that there is still some left when they return) Killing the alpha males is taking out the good gene pool so lesser males have the chance to spread their inferior genes.
Mainly American hunters fly in for 10 days and go back with their loot to show off at home. There are even awards from the International hunters club how many species they bagged!

Our ancestors were hunters for food and killed smaller prey with primitive bows and and spears.They didn't hunt lions or elephants.

I have respect for people like the Jouberts, who have filmed and studied for over 25 years the big cats.

Big money corrupts, even the most honest private hunter and that is the problem.
The other problem is TOO many people but that is an other story.

I have seen on this forum a disgusting film of hunters,after killing a female zebra,abusing her foal and acting like football hooligans.

I am not an active crazy animal freak but I think it is important that hunters keep a check on their fellow hinters who act like idiots. They give the antis the ammunition they are waiting for. Look at Cecil and the reactions.

Did anyone of you here cried after killing an elephant? Just for a piece of ivory?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Lizzy. Some very valid points. More does need to be done by hunters to tighten up the loop holes and uproot the corrupt outfitters. But I still believe that even if all hunters don't have conservation at heart they are the only ones paying for the animals in these areas. So even though they might not all care, they are still paying the funds that keep the government happy to let animals have the land and there fore forbid humans from taking over. So in my opinion. Hunting must stay. Regardless of the clients attitude . But more does need to be done. I think quota should be determined by anti poaching efforts as well as the usual sustainable numbers. Nice to chat.

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Great footage. And by the way, your music choices are outstanding. Watching your other stuff that follows.
Thanks for posting.

Beautiful to watch. Pitty the poachers (NOT hunters) have caused this situation. I longed to follow ndlovu, but I'm afraid I postponed it too long. Lizzy is never going to understand the connection. Don't waste your breathe.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lizzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
quote:

Any guess on the weight?

Lizzy, When did you move from Portugal to Zimbabwe? Your earlier posts have your location as Portugal. Roll Eyes

Frostbit, yes you are correct.I lived in Rhodesia/Zimbabwe for 6 years. My late husband was 4th generation and has been in the army-bush war for 10 years. We have been back many times to see family and friends. In 2013 I took his ashes back and after working for 2 weeks at Imire Rhino conservation, I went to Kariba, hired a boat and scattered his ashes in a beautiful bay with sunset, while an elephant walked to the shoreline. I went in 2015 back again, staying for a while with friends but will return to Portugal. But my heart is in Zimbabwe.

One of Us
Picture of Lizzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Lizzy. Some very valid points. More does need to be done by hunters to tighten up the loop holes and uproot the corrupt outfitters. But I still believe that even if all hunters don't have conservation at heart they are the only ones paying for the animals in these areas. So even though they might not all care, they are still paying the funds that keep the government happy to let animals have the land and there fore forbid humans from taking over. So in my opinion. Hunting must stay. Regardless of the clients attitude . But more does need to be done. I think quota should be determined by anti poaching efforts as well as the usual sustainable numbers. Nice to chat.

Thank you Andy, you are a gentleman.
I nursed a Dutch ex-hunter in Portugal.
His whole house was full of stuffed animals and he once said to me that he didn't understand why he did it, looking at his trophies! At the age of 84.
I only do night-shifts so for weeks on end I was surrounded by Kudus, Impalas, Springboks, elephant tusks, Lion skin with head on the floor, (fell over it a few times) Eland and many warthog tusks.

But a good idea to connect the quota to the anti poaching efforts. It seems strange to read about animals being poached and at the same time in the same country hunters are bagging! But do governments put the money back into conservation or do they bag this money in foreign bank accounts? Just a thought shammwari.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lucky there is a hunting ban on these great animals

Umm..No, but I am thinking of adding tusks like that to *my* collection...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As frustrated as you might be,Certain comments give ALL hunters a bad name. Please be mindful of your words.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Andy: I appreciate your caution (I assume you were referring to me), but I am done trying to be nice to what are basically our enemies who really don't care what we have to say and ignore the facts, instead using and picking the very few bad apples (which BTW, the jury is still out on Cecil). Her incessant anti-hunting, emotional based comments, devoid of logic, I find offensive. I'm through being civil...

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
She must be encouraged by finding there are hunters here who are idiotic enough to discuss conservation or anything with her.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im not an idiot mr shootaway. I live and work in the safari industry and understand its inner workings better than any client. I will continue to discuss conservation with anyone who needs to understand more until the day i die. Happy hunting

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Andy.
You are a great ambassador for our sport.
We need more level headed attitudes rather than bravado.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lizzy
posted Hide Post
The last Lion

Please watch this TED talk of the Jouberts.
They have followed one female leopard for 4.5 years. They have filmed the war between lions and hyena's. They have filmed lions hunting buffalo's in water. (Cats don't like water...)
They have filmed lions hunting an elephant.
They are unarmed and even had one curious leopard climbing into their land-rover and chased her away with noise. Scared that she would do that to other cars and loose her life for doing this.

Leopards dropped from 700.000 to 50.000 today.
Lions dropped from 250.000 to 20.000 today and probably only 2000 big male lions left! Elephants were 1.2 million strong in the sixties,now 300.000 left. This within 60 years.

So please tell me why hunters are conservationists? Except by paying big money and hoping this money goes into anti poaching....
Why not pay this money and then go with the anti poaching team on patrol without hunting.....just a suggestion. If I was rich,I would pay and go on patrol to get the poachers. For 2 months....not 10 days...

Please intelligent reactions and no insults....trying to understand, but Andy gave a good explanation but still it is raw to me.

One of Us
Picture of Lizzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Im not an idiot mr shootaway. I live and work in the safari industry and understand its inner workings better than any client. I will continue to discuss conservation with anyone who needs to understand more until the day i die. Happy hunting

Thank you Andy,we should drink a shumba together.

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Any guess on the weight?

When you coming over to fight the good fight?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Lizzy
I dare you and your anti lot to take your hard earned money and give it all to conservation in Zim every year
That's what we hunters do
I got nothing but disdain for people like you because you do nothing and just point fingers with accusatory notes
You are actually no better then those poachers that prowl bush at night setting up snares,
Have you ever thought about it it like that?
Well, you should

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lizzy, it is disingenuous to use those figures to blame hunters as I'm sure you actually know the root cause of African mammal population decline is un-checked population growth in to the wildlife habitat. The subsequent poaching both for food and for profit damages game numbers and unlike hunting is of no benefit to the wider community. Do you think the poacher who shoots or poisons an animal of great wealth generating potential is going to 'donate' that wealth to his community or run to the town and get wasted and laid? The sad truth is that whether a hunter is driven to tears by his actions or does cartwheels and high-fives he is the only one paying for more than he takes away as his fee contains payments to safeguard the future of hunting and therefore the animals hunted. If the governments claim a part of that fee to fund conservation measures and does not conserve game then shame on them for being either short sighted or corrupt but it is not the hunters job to police the governments (although many lobby for change). I sense less vitriol in your posts of late, perhaps you are beginning to understand our view point even if you disagree with it. You give us pause for thought in our actions and I hope we give you reason to believe that there are more of us who are fervent about the survival of game and non-game species the world over than there are gloating fools driven only by the will to break some other rich guys record bag.

One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Lizzy
I dare you and your anti lot to take your hard earned money and give it all to conservation in Zim every year
I got nothing but disdain for people like you because you do nothing and just point fingers with accusatory notes
You are actually no better then those poachers that prowl bush at night setting up snares,
Well, you should

+1

Posts: 160 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 31 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lizzy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Lizzy
Well, you should

Well boarkiller (why this name?)
I worked in Zimbabwe as a nurse for 6 years....what do you think nurses get paid!!!
At that time is was 1.50 dollar an hour.
That is 60 dollars per week, 240 dollars per month. Because I saved money I still could go to the bush 4 x a year. Mind you at that time one beer cost 15 cents and a packet of cigarettes of 40 cost 30 cents.
Going to parks also brings in money and now I support David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust in Kenya. Adopted an elephant orphan calf an gave it to an African boy who is also an orphan. He gets the information and twice a year he can see this elephant. My hope is that he will become a protector and not a poacher. I support Imire in Zimbabwe, rhino conservation organisation. In April a new calf was born. Lookup on youtube "A Rhino in my House". When in 2006 their whole rhino breeding group were slaughtered a 6 week old calf survived. The Travers took this calf into their house and bottle fed him. I saw Tatenda in 2013 when I worked there for 2 weeks as a volunteer and paid money to do this.......Only private people paid for the expensive milk powder that came from South Africa.

Greenpeace are idiots but the Sea Shepherds are not.
You see BOARKILLER....I give percentage wise may be more then you but I am not rich. I do clean the beaches in Autumn in the Algarve and the junk people leave behind is horrendous. Within 4 hours we collected one garbage truck full of junk. We are unpaid. And next to my work as a nurse (salary in 2015 = 10 Euro per hour before taxes) I also work as a volunteer in shelters......the worst cases of animal abuse are the hunting dogs,the Pedengos, who are found tied up in the forest to die. Too expensive to feed them during the off hunting season according the Hunters.....in Spain the Galago hunting dogs are hang from the trees to die. Then I take in small kittens, found alive in plastic bags in bins or puppies. There is very little wildlife in-lands because of hunters. No birds,sometimes I see small rabbits. There is more wildlife in the center of London in parks.

But where I live on the outskirts of town is some scrub-land and every Thursday 2 wild boars go there because on that day the hunters are out.
Smart boars they are, I see them when I walk my dog.
They use poison to kill dogs who might catch a rabbit.... very nice people who care...

Where does your hard earned money go to? Which conservation organisation! You don't give all your money to conservation because you have to pay for your life style at home, which will be expensive.

So what do you do, which organisations in Africa or at home do you support!
Calling me a poacher is quite funny or was it meant as an insult!

I am not an ANTI if you hunt a buffalo but I am anti the big cats and elephant hunting. And quite right if you look at their numbers declining in the last 50 years....how did they survived before hunters from the States came in!!!