Find
Notify
Tools

Zimbabwe Hunt--Zengela Safaris
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted
Characterizing our hunt with Zengela Safaris is difficult, as there were many positive aspects but also important negative elements, and to complicate matters even more, it�s possible the same operation will be not be in place for future hunters, due to the situation in Zimbabwe. Thus, I feel a detailed explanation is in order.

This hunt, a Cape buffalo/sable/plains game safari, was a college graduation present for my youngest son, and I spent the better part of two years researching various outfitters before choosing Zengela. I was directed to Zengela by a personal referral and then contacted many satisfied references. As late as one month before the hunt I spoke with a hunter who�d just returned from a safari with Zengela, and received the same report I�d gotten from all other references: everything, without exception, was first-rate.

I booked the hunt through John La Sala, d/b/a African Hunting Adventures, out of New York. Part of my decision to book with Zengela was that John holds all funds until after a hunter returns from Zimbabwe--an important factor, in my opinion. I asked John if there would be other hunters in camp and was told it was his and Zengela�s policy not to book different parties into the camp at the same time, or even overlap parties�in fact, I had to adjust my schedule a few days to avoid coming in on top of some hunters John had already booked. Exclusive use of the camp was a critical part of my decision to go with Zengela.

Zengela is part of a conservancy near Hwange Park and there are no fences, providing absolute fair chase on 44,000 acres that belong to the Chatham family, and even more land if necessary via agreements with other conservancy members. I was also told the conservancies, being non-agricultural, would not be affected by the Zimbabwe land reclamation process.

Graham Chatham, our PH and son of farm owner Dave Chatham, picked us up in Bulawayo. On the drive to camp Graham informed me a party of five hunters was due in camp that evening. This was the first time I was aware my son and I would not have exclusive use of the facilities.

The five hunters, who were traveling as a group, did arrive in camp around dinnertime, and they were accompanied by five professional hunters and five land cruisers. It was apparent they were as surprised to see us, as we were to see them. They were to stay longer that my son and I, and were seeking high-dollar species such as lion and elephant.

A few days later one of the hunters went to another location with his PH for leopard, but two days prior to our departure two more hunters and one observer arrived. Thus, at any given time there were (besides us) at least four, often five, and at one point six other hunters and their PHs in camp.

Hunting pressure was significant, even on 44,000 acres, and there was moderate tension in camp. The party of five hunters was scheduled to stay 16 days but left after nine, saying there was no game left and there were �too many people in camp.�

My son did manage to kill his buffalo, but not until the 8th day of a 10-day hunt. He also shot a sable and on the last day a kudu (which was mediocre in my opinion, but the PH told him to shoot it) so technically he had a �successful� safari, but we had many other species on license, which he did not have the opportunity to shoot. We just didn't see them--maybe it was bad luck, but I'm inclined to believe the hunting pressure was a factor.

The hunt was generally tense due to the unexpected hunters, lack of game, crowded conditions, and the unspoken but clearly understood feelings that each group was being intruded on by the others.

After returning I contacted John La Sala, who stated he had no knowledge before or during the time of our hunt of the concurrent and overlapping bookings. He investigated and determined the second and third parties were accepted directly by Dave Chatham, the owner, without consulting La Sala. These bookings occurred only a few weeks before I was scheduled to arrive. John La Sala reiterated his policy of booking only one hunting party at a time into Zengela�s camp, and asked Mr. Chatham for a written explanation.

It is important at this point to state that I am absolutely convinced beyond any doubt that John La Sala as the booking agent had NO knowledge of the situation created by Zengela Safaris, and further, had he been made aware, would have immediately contacted me and offered alternatives.

The motive for deviating from normal procedures has not been determined, as further communication with Mr. Chatham has not been forthcoming as of the date of this report. However, it is known that about two weeks after our hunt, several members of the conservancy were arrested because they had not vacated their farms. Mr. Chatham was also �scheduled� to be arrested but was away from the farm when authorities came to take him into custody. A week or so later, individuals appeared at the Chatham farm, announced they were the new owners, and demanded the Chathams leave the property. And more recent news indicates the Chathams were physically abused during a subsequent arrest incident.

The status of Zengela Safaris and the ownership of the farm itself are not clear. Thus, the contents of this report may not be of any significant value, as Zengela, if it continues to operate, may be under different ownership and management.

If Zengela Safaris were to continue operations under Chatham ownership, I suggest any prospective client be aware the above situation occurred. I further recommend any and all details of a hunt, especially as pertains to numbers of hunters in camp, be obtained in writing.

Based on my experience, I do not think I would book another hunt with Zengela Safaris, regardless of the ownership situation.

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Nitro,

It's good that your son did have some measure of success. Mr. Chatham probably knew the end was in sight and lowered his standards to get some extra cash in his pocket before his world came crashing in.

I was in a camp (in a different African country) that was staffed by Zim residents. You could cut the gloom with a knife. The topic dominated all conversations around the dinner table every night and was quite depressing.

Guess they can't be blamed for that, because there sure isn't much joy in their lives now and not much on the horizon either.

All that said, congrats to your son for getting a 'buff. And good for you for taking him.

[ 11-04-2002, 07:56: Message edited by: Matt Norman ]

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Nitro Express,

As you probably know, I had a safari in RSA book another hunter in the same camp. I was told, but didn't have it in writing that they wouldn't do that.

On my recent safari to Tanzania, I was told that the camp was exclusive. This time I got it in writing. When we showed up and there was another hunter in camp (he too wasn't very happy about our presence in camp), we got a free charter to Masailand and moved to another camp in the Selous upon our return.

However, I wonder what, if anything, Mr. Chatham could or would have done if you had the camp excusivity provison in writing?

It doesn't sound like you can get a refund from Mr. Chatham since he is apparently no longer in the business.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Matt hit the nail on the head. When the end is near people will do things they might not otherwise. I just returned from a month in Zim, while I was there I heard of 2 game farmers being thrown off their property. I believe that one was Pete Vandenburg(sp?), who Roy said he had a large heard of Sable(500), among other game that is now dieing off due to lack of water, they dont or wont fix the pumps. It looks like more of this will be happining Roy added. I would only go to Zim and hunt on a Govt concession like Matetsi or the like.

I almost booked a hunt twice with Mr. La Sala but couldnt due to my fathers health. I believe 100% that he didnt know of the other parties in camp, man that is alot of people!! The only reason I didnt book with him this time is I met Roy Vincent through someone and I booked direct.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Phil>
posted
NitroExpress,
Thanks for your report - I know you waited a significant amount of time after your return to detail the situation publicly. Having all the facts and laying them out as you have is what this board is all about. I think one of the greatest understatements in today's hunting world is to categorize the situation in Zimbabwe as very, very sad. I doubt many of us can understand the situation the Chatham family now finds themselves in, but the dissapointing hunt you and you son experienced is unacceptable.

Thanks for telling the story.

[ 11-05-2002, 07:07: Message edited by: Phil ]

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
As I was reading the report I was thinking to my self exactly what Matt Norman said.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. People do funny things when faced with a major life change.

Faced with the same situation would any of us have done what Dave Chatham did? We would like to think not, but none of us can honestly say.

I am sorry John La Sala was caught up in the middle of this. I am sure he did not know this was even a possibility. I have heard nothng but good about him.

Speaking from an agents standpoint; we try to control as many variables as we can. There are a few things we have no control over, human nature is the one most unpredictable and uncontrollable of them all.

I do hope your son had a great hunt. I am sure he will look back on it and think fondly of the high points.

He did work for that Buffalo! [Wink]

Posts: 6253 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dave Chatham is one of the finest men I have met in Africa. I happen to know that the presence of these other people was due to pressure placed upon him by similarly afflicted friends and neighbors and constituted, only, Daves' gracious and honorable response to them in desperate times. While it was a difficult situation for the respective clients, to be sure, I wouldn't want anyone to see Mr. Dave Chatham in any but the brightest of lights.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I say bullshit!!!--he had hunters who paid for exclusive hunting--not one group, but more than one and then someone else shows up after that---this guy knew what was coming down the pike and decided to line his pockets, whether he was helping friends or not, it was wrong---I would have some sympathy for Dave C. had he been up front with all the hunting parties from the get go, but it sure looks like he didn't, yes times are tuff in ol' Z'' right now and maybe he needed quick cash or whatever--it still doesn't make it right and he screwed all the hunters in camp---chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I agree with Chris. What Mr. Chatham did, by helping out his friends, had the effect of screwing all of the clients.

"Helping out friends" is not a valid justification for failing to live up to your obligations to your client.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Helping out friends" is not a valid justification for failing to live up to your obligations to your client.

Regards,

Terry[/QB][/QUOTE]

Well said,I could not have put it any better.

Posts: 214 | Location: UK. | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
Interesting to say the least. I don't know the Chatham's personally but know of them and know a couple memebers in the Gwayi Conservancy.

The folks in the Gwayi have very high standards and I think what we have is a serious lapse of judgement on the Operators part.

I suspect if Nitro had only been inconvencied by 1 other party in camp maybe even a 2x1 that he probably would have never said a word...things happen and we need to adjust.

But 5 other hunters...yikes. That is well beyond reasonableness.

If any of your money was still in the US, I think a negotiated settlement is in order.

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I know the Chathams had at least a couple of cancellations last summer. When we were there the first week in August Dave said so, and further stated he had no more clients due in until October or November (given the circumstances I suppose they didn't hunt, either).

And I know he was trying to help out some other outfitters who, for whatever reason, lost their hunting location and were scrambling at the last minute to find a place for their clients.

So, between helping friends and making up for a bad season, the Chathams' actions are understandable.

Understandable, but not acceptable, at least not to me.

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry to see that Mr. Chatham sold his ethics and reputation for a few extra dollars.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
I would just like to add that I have known John LaSala for quite some time and have nothing but good things to say about him and his two businesses. On many occasions I have heard great thing about his operation without solicitation.

www.rifleshooter.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitro- As the funds were held, did you receive any releif thruogh this agent?

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Crane:

When I got home with Zengela Safari's invoice, I faxed it, along with a letter, to John La Sala, reviewing what I had sent him previously and what I owed.

I had several hundred dollars in credit, as we'd not had the opportunity to take some of the species we had on license. I requested a refund of that amount.

A check arrived just a few days after John received my fax.

Essentially I did not ask any financial compensation for the disappointments we encountered. After all, the daily rate was the daily rate and the trophy fees were the trophy fees, and I figured regardless of the circumstances, I owed the Chathams that much.

Maybe I was wrong, and should have asked John to hold the funds for a while until we sorted things out. But that seemed kind of cheap and opportunistic on my part, so I didn't ask for any "damages," so to speak.

The good news is that John La Sala, true to his word, held all funds until we were home from safari. So I didn't "lose" any money, and the refund came super fast, to John's credit.

Again, I would recommend John La Sala's African Hunting Adventures operation to anyone, without hesitation. I just wouldn't make the same recommendation about Zengela Safaris, and I think John understands.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitro- It sounds like John was above board and that you, sir, were WHAY TOO NICE!Question- Knowing and experiencing what you have(desperate people do desperate things) would you book Zim now or wait to see if things settle out a bit? Bob Butler.

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
crane:

I'd book into Zimbabwe, within some very narrow parameters.

First, I'd only do business with a U.S. booking agent, like John La Sala, who would agree to hold all funds here in the States until AFTER the safari. I'd try to make the deposit refundable, and negotiate the least amount of deposit possible. I would not send or take any U.S. currency to Zimbabwe.

Second, I'd get absolutely everything I wanted or expected in writing BEFORE paying a deposit.

Third, I'd take a close look at the property on which the safari was to be conducted. Government concessions may be safe for the near term; private property less so, and DG is usually hunted in the concessions and plains game on farms. One thing that drew me to Zengela was that it's a non-fenced area where all game can--or could--be hunted without having to move between locations.

If anyone (and by that I mean a white, long-time landowner) claims they hold private land that absolutely will not be seized, I'd be very skeptical, and probably not take them at their word--even conservancies in non-farming areas.

Finally, I'd have a back-up plan and be prepared to cancel on short notice, with the knowledge my airfare might be subject to loss. One might want to have an RSA source that could crank up a quick plains game hunt if the Zim safari went toes up at the eleventh hour.

Personally, having been to Zim, I don't think I'll go back until things settle down a little.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Nitro. Have a great Holiday!

<GAHUNTER>
posted
Col. Nitro,

Thank you for posting this report on Zengela. I am so sorry for the "negatives", but at least there were some positives to offset the other. I know you had been looking forward to the trip for a long time.

Ever since you first told me about Zengela before last year's SCI in Atlanta, I have been researching going there for my first dangerous game safari. Everything I have seen on the operation has been positive, until now that is. As we all know, things change, and not always for the better. I guess I will turn my attentions toward Tanzania since Zim is way too "iffy" for my tastes.

Again thanks for the report and I look forward to seeing you again at Atlanta SCI.

GAH

one of us
posted Hide Post
Given the bankrupt nature of Zim's regime, I won't spend a dime in that country! There are too many other areas where the people observe the rule of law.

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If we boycott hunting in ZIM, then all the white PH's will go bankrupt and be driven from the country, which would please Mugabe very much.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nitro,
You were WAY too passive in accepting those hunting conditions. I always have a sat. phone
with me in Africa. I would have been on the phone to my booking agent on day one and would have demanded to be changed to a new location. Remember you are the client and it's your hard earned dollars that you are spending to be there. We changed locations
four times in one month in Zimbabwe this year
because of situations like yours and because of
poor game conditions. Next time be firm and
polite but demand to receive what you were
promised.

Posts: 151 | Location: Hartford, CT USA | Registered: 05 December 2000Reply With Quote