New
Find
Notify
Tools

Am back from a fantastic hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello all, have just got back from Fulaza. It is a GMA right on top of the North luangwa national Park. The hunting was hard work and I have huge blisters as proof.
This was what I think is called a citizen hunt so we do not use an outfitter or a PH. We carry all our provisions and do our own catering.
On arriving at the Fulaza gate we were allocated a game guard by the name of George Ngulube.This man's knowledge of the bush and animals is amazing. Also I think it would be only fair to thank the German government for all the help they are giving to the game guards. All their kit is donated by the germans and there is huge community developement which is very visible. I was told this is in preparation for the reintroduction of rhino into Zambia. Who knows someday AR mambers might be able to hunt rhino in Zambia.
I am not much of a creative writer so I will break up this report into days.
DAY 1
We only arrived at our camp site at about noon so most of the day was spent setting up camp, as there is nothing existing. Every thing has to be put up from scratch.Late afternoon we decided to drive along the river bank and check on Hippo about two km from the camp we came upon a group of bachelor Impala, on sighting the car the herd took off. So we left the car and George and I walked along the river bank we came upon the herd within fifteen minutes of walking and I shot the biggest ram out of the group. He did not know what hit him and he dropped where he was standing. I was using my 375H&H and the ammo was PMP soft nose. We walked back to the car and loaded him and started back to camp on the way back George showed me a leopard bait that had been hung on a tree apparently the PH who owns this concession had used this area for a client of his a few weeks ago.
Day 2
We started off from camp at four in the morning and drove to an area called Kamimbilli, this area has a few water holes that do not dry up and George was confident that the Buffallo would lie up close to water as the temperatures can only be descibed as scorching. when we got there we walked to the water hole and found a lot fresh spoor but we also found fresh Lion spoor and looking at the hoof prints George deduced that the Lion were following the same herd. So we decided to try another water hole. After walking for about two hours we arrived at the hole and we saw vultures on the tree tops on approching the hole slowly we came upon a pride of four lionesses that had just killed an old Eland bull.
We decided to let them eat in peace and backtracked to the car.As it was close to noon George suggested that we head back to camp using a differant route, although longer this route ran along the river and he knew of some big resident bull hippos, we found a bull that looked good so George and I started a leopard crawl across the river bed, this time of the year the rivers are reduced to to little streams and I tell you the sand is hot especially to city palms. we crawled to the edge and I shot the hippo agaain it was a one shot kill. I used a PMP solid as advised in the forum. The recovery of the hippo was what amazed me as he was still in the water we waited for about two hours for the hippo to surface, after he surfaced George said something to one of the many villagers that had gathered by now in tumbuka a zambian language that I donot speak and the next thing this young man did was to jump into the water and started swimming to the hippo he only stopped on my shouting . I then sent one of my drivers to the PH's camp and told him to ask if we could borrow a small boat to recover the hippo. The ph very kindly lent us a small boat and we recovered the hippo sensibly in my opinion as I had see some big crocs in the river earlier.
I will add on the rest of the days as soon as my fingers recover as I can only type with one finger
I will also add on pictures as soon as I figure out how to post them
Regards to all

Posts: 228 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 25 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Zambian,
Sounds like an exciting start to your hunt. Look forward to reading the rest of your adventures and seeing the pictures of Zambia.
BigBullet

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Zambian,

Congratulations on your hunt.

Here is a link on how to Post Pictures

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry here is pic 1. The young lad is my son Jai, he is 10 and is a keen learner. I think he knows more about ballistics then I do. We always fight when the latest Magnum arrives,its the only hunting magazine available in Zambia.  -

I hope it works

one of us
posted Hide Post
Day 3

We woke up early, and started driving along the park boundary as George wanted to see if could catch up with any buff that had crossed over during the night. After travelling about 40Km we did cut tracks, so we left the car under some shade and atarted tracking the herd, It was a replay of day 2 schorching heat and irritating mopani flies and plenty walking. We finally caught up with the herd at about noon and they were all resting under shade, George and I crawled on the hot ground trying to get a better view. We crawled up to a fallen tree and I tried to peep and see if I could see a shootable buff. I think that is when Buck fever kicked in, there were just too many Buffalo and the proximity and my own inexperience all added up. George was gesturing for me to shoot and I just couldnt make up my mind.
And then Mr Murphy appeared and the wind changed direction I could not believe the speed with which the herd disappeared.I was close to tears but all George did was shrug his shoulders and in typical Zambian fashion said dont worry tommorrow!
You see we seem to live by the manyana policy here in Zambia.
The drive back to camp was in silence and there was not much conversation from me at the campfire that night.Even ice cold beers did not appeal to me.So I had a half hearted meal and hit the sack.
Day 5
Again an early start and we tried another area called Fulafuta. This is an old abandoned villge that was deserted because the locals were unable to grow any crops due to the abundant wild game in the area. We again walked to a water hole and found some fresh tracks and dung George reckoned that it was a a group of five bulls and that we should try our luck. The buff had walked through a reed bed so we also waded through, the wet shoes just compounded my already sore feet. The reed bed was full of what we cal hippo grass and although it looks harmless it is like walking through cactus. We followed the buff tracks for about four hours and we could see the tracks meandering as they were looking for shade. we finally sighted the five bulls about 50m away but unfortunately due to the thick vegetation I could not take a shot and another worry was that the wind was very fickle.
Nevertheless george signalled for me to try to get closer and again we started crawling I dont think I have spent so much time on all fours since I was a toddler.
We were close after 20minutes of crawling stopping and crawling again.Although I was only about 25m away I still did not have a clear shot. I am not too sure wether they had scented us or my not so quiet crawling had spooked them but once again, I just heard thundering hooves and glimpses of buff rump.
Credit to George he did not seem worried or annoyed at all.
We decided to return to camp on our way back we sighted a herd of impala and as I still had another impala licence I decided to take the ram,
I shot it with my Ruger 300 win mag it was a one shot kill although it was hard work to haul the ram back to the car but then it did sort of make up for the fumbled buff stalk.  -
My first buff on day 6
will post the run up to the buff asap
ps That is george in the pic

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Zambian,

Great story, thanks for sharing and the pictures.

Regards,

Terry

[ 10-29-2003, 19:23: Message edited by: T.Carr ]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zambian It sounds like you had a great hunt! Thanks for sharing your story and photos.

Posts: 82 | Location: Loxley,AL | Registered: 25 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Day 6
Once again an early start, We went back to fulafuta as george had heard from the villagers that a big herd had walked to another water hole in the area. We got to the water hole and from the spoor it was evident that the herd had just left literally a few minutes ago. We picked up the tracks and started following about 10 minutes into the walk we heard a gunshot and found shoeprints over the buff tracks, as luck would have it one of the resident hunters was hunting at the same time as us, we only found out about this hunter when we reached the gate on our way out. Initially we had assumed that these were poachers and george did not want to run into them as poachers in this area are known to be trigger happy and he had the additional responsibility of our safety.
We turned back and headed back to the water hole and our car that had been parked in the bush, at this stage I had given up any hope of bagging my first buff and had even convinced myself that I would leave it for next year.
As we approached our car george stopped in mid stride and with a grin showed me some fresh tracks he was convinced it was the same five bulls that we had tracked the previous day.
I must admit I was very sceptical when gearge took up the tracks and this was our final day.
It was extremely hot and the bulls had walked into the hills. to add to the all the extremeties they were meandering up and down the hills. we got to a stage when the wind blew on the back of our necks and thirty minutes later came upon a spot where the buff had lied down and then got up and had started running, George just kept on walking and I followed. To cut a long story short we walked for about three hours and then decided to take a break and had a snack.
we resumed the stalk and the buff were still meandering suddenly evaristo our water carrier grabbed my arm and hit the ground we did the same then he whispered "sonde"
sonde is the local word for ox peckers,credit to Evaristo he had heard the birds nearby it is amazing how the people in the bush are so much in tune with nature and observant and he knew that if the birds were nearby so were the buff.  -
This is Evaristo.
George and I commenced the stalk on fours again and i distinctly remember thinking here goes.
by this time the ground was relly hot and my city softened palms were protesting we came around some shrubs and george froze, looking up I could see the bulls under a tree. If you have ever seen a chameleon walk you will know what I mean when I say that I did a perfect impersonation upto a tree it was not much of a cover but it was the only option.
I am not too sure wether my stealth skills had improved or the buff were just sleepy as four of the bulls were on the ground and one was standing broadside to me. The buff were still unaware that I had crept up.
This is when my mind went into overload and I tried to remember all the info I had read and tips
from the shot placement guide prior to this trip.
I lifted my rifle and if I may blow my own trumpet I placed a perfect shot into the buff.
The rest of the herd were up in an instant again I was surprised on how agile and nimble these beutiful creatures can be, the shot animal took off with the rest but only managed to go about 20 paces and initially sort of staggered and then fell as he fell I put another shot into him and then he bellowed.
As soon as he bellowed George stood up and shouted to me I am not too sure what he was saying as I was concentrating on the bull and had him in my sights still. To my amazement on seeing and hearing george the buff got back onto his feet.
Has anyone experienced this I was under the impression that once a downed buff gives the mournful bellow he stayed down.
Thankfully I had not let my guard down so I was able to put a third round into the neck and this shot anchored him.
I finally had my first buff He was still green on the boss but I am still pleased with the trophy and the shoulder mount when I get it back from the taxidermist will always have a special place in my home.
The recovery was another mission as we had to cut a road to where the buff had fallen and as you can see in the picture the vegetation was very thick. I took the picture of george and the buff exactly where the buff went down. It was late at night that we managed to get back to camp. Needless to say copious amounts of whiskey was on the dinner menu that night.
Just thought I would add this pic, the old man in the middle is Miti affectionately called MADALA (old man) He has been looking after me since I was six years old and now also looks after my sons. I hope my kids will also have the privelage of hunting with him.
 -

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Zambian,
Really enjoying the recounts of your hunting adventure. And the photos too. Also, thanks for posting the operators to the hunting concessions.

BigBullet

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
Thanks for sharing. You are a good story teller and it was a good read. Your first buffalo is always the most special buffalo of all no matter the size or look.
Looks like you have a lifetime hunting partner in your son. It does not get any better than that. [Smile]
Better tomorrows!

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Zambian,

You write very well. I think you should write up this story and add details about the regulations regarding resident hunters. That is a point-of-view we seldom here about. You should submit it to African Hunter magazine.

Regards,

Terry

[ 11-06-2003, 15:45: Message edited by: T.Carr ]

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Zambian

Thanks for your very enjoyable story. Your buffalo hunt sounded eventful and exciting.

I have sent you a Private Message. I note in your profile you list yourself as an engineer. I am trying to track down the address of an engineer in Lusaka. Perhaps you know of him(?). Thanks.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote