ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Uganda again! Sitatunga and Uganda Kob

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Uganda again! Sitatunga and Uganda Kob
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
After five years I returned to Uganda. The memory of the ivory tips emerging from the forest of papyrus, the only one sitatunga sign I’ve seen in my first safari of 2010 in this country (see the report) were too strong, so I decided to try again. Now the situation in the concession of the Kafu river is entirely different. Christian Weth made a very good job developing the hunting area very well. Has built several machans very high on the trees that overlooking the river and he hold the papyrus around very short, so the game could be spotted quite easily. He also built a really beautiful tented camp with all the amenities, equipped with a really professional staff.

I hunted with Augustinus Chailla a very kind tanzanian PH, who know the area of Kafu very well and where the animals are.

In fact I found my sitatunga in the morning of the second day after seeing about 20 animals.

I shot him from the machan at the distance of about 120 meters with the Christian’s Blaser r 93 300 winch mag.

Once the sitatunga was taken we left for the north to the other concession of Uganda Wildlife Safaris that bordering the Murchison falls nat. park, looking for an uganda kob

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A very difficult animal to obtain. Very nice!

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Very nice, congrats!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt!

Could we get the kob report?

Posts: 1865 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a great hunt Mario.

What you have written reminds me of my time hunting sitatunga in the papyrus.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66999 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of T.J.
posted Hide Post
Nice, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 160 | Location: Ft. Worth, TX | Registered: 31 July 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes Saeed, it's a very specialized and unique hunt.
Today I wil post the other report.

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice.
Congratulations.
How did the rest of the hunt go ?

Posts: 460 | Location: New Zealand, Australia, Zambia | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the road we had the opportunity for a quick stop at the historical Masindi hotel were Ernest Hemingway was recovered after a plane crash and where Humphrey Bogart and Katarine Hepburn stayed whilst filming the African queen.

mario

one of us
posted Hide Post
Once arrived in the concession we stayed in the confortable Bwana Tembo lodge. Despite this a touristic lodge, the owners, two italian brothers, Davide and Francesco, are happy to host the hunters and we had great time eating good italian food. The hunting area here is more open that in the jungle of papyrus of the Kafu with the marvelous view of the Nile Albert.

The game is really abundant, coming to and from the national park.

an albino kob

mario

one of us
posted Hide Post
My target was an Uganda kob and I took him after a couple of days. I've have literally seen hundreds of kob, it took a bit of time for find a good bull, otherwise I could shoot one the first afternoon. At the end I killed a 23inches kob that is a very good trophy.

mario

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the concession we have seen many good elephant bulls and is a real shame that this animal is not huntable in Uganda because I was really impressed from the quality of the ivory.

mario

one of us
posted Hide Post
Other animals, like nile buffalo, hartebeest, waterbuck, oribi and others at this time of the year are mostly inside the park where we have seen thousand and thousand, living an atmosphere that really remember “Green hills of Africa.”

mario

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt report and congratulations on the sitatunga. Hunted both those area last October and Christian runs a great outfit. Also had the pleasure to meet Augustine although he was not my PH.

Posts: 344 | Location: Reno, Nevada | Registered: 05 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Once got the Kob, we went on a fishing cruise to the Murchison falls. A trip that will be never forgotten, among hundreds of hyppos, giant crocs and thousand of birds. Unfortunately the river monster nile perch that I hooked has broken the fishing line just behind the boat. So I can show only the catfish. But I’m not Jeremy Wade so this was enough…

mario

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wow what a great trip congratulations

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What a trip!

Uganda seems to be coming on stronger every year. Especially impressed with the quantity, variety and quality of game in and around Murchison Falls NP. I have heard that the park has nearly recovered from the dark days of Idi Amin and it appears to be fact!!

Posts: 1865 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Love the Sitatunga and that's a most beautiful kob!! Did you not have hartebeest on license?

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report, sounds like you had a lot of fun. I have been told you can arrange a trip in Uganda to see the gorillas? Do you have any info on that?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mario,
Thanks for sharing!

Opened the thread and immediately recognized the PH in the first pic, Augustinus Chailla.
He was the young appy PH accompanying the Saeed Expedition of 2010.

Really nice fellow. I enjoyed talking with him about his formative years hunting with his father near his hometown in the Selous vicinity of Tanzania.

I gave him my scope off the 500 Mbogo rifle, a Leupold 2.5X in Warne low QD lever rings for the CZ.
Off my rifle (I was done with my turn of hunting) and it fitted perfectly as it was onto his .458 WinMag CZ.

We got it sighted at 25 yards, from a sitting position on the ground with a cardboard box as target, then had to run and get Saeed and Walter back to the hunt.
Well, at least Saeed was hunting hard and eager to quit dawdling.
What can I say about Walter? He smiled a lot, and made others laugh a lot. Big Grin

Has Augustinus upgraded his PH rifle yet, or is he still carrying that CZ .458 WinMag?

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately the hartebeest quota was completed at this time of the year. About the gorilla's trip, i' m only a client. For sure Christian weth can help you

mario

one of us
posted Hide Post
RIp, yes augustinus is a real gentleman. He told me many good things about his rifle, but I think he leave it in Tanzania. We had used the Christian'guns but of course this was not a dangerous game hunt.

mario

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

Rip

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Christian's the man for Uganda, congrats Mario!

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mario a fine report and great photos.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Looked like a great trip Mario. You took two fine trophies! I appreciated this report as I will be following in your footsteps soon. I am hunting with Uganda Wildlife Safaris in February of 2017 and hope for some of the same luck you had.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana, for sure Will Be a great safari. I suggest you to include a Nile buffalo

mario

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Mario,
Nile buff, Nile bushbuck, Uganda kob and Jackson Hartebeest all are at the top of my list. Hope to add a Ugandan Defassa waterbuck as well.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are some very good bulls around and this hunt is more physical. A very good choice

mario

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow that looks really beautiful. I'd Hope to film there some day . I'm happy to see good game numbers in Uganda . Thanks for the awesome report. You found a real gem.

Posts: 111 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 19 June 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Great report. Thanks for posting. Who's that old guy in the pictures? Big Grin

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
The elephant pics are awesome
What a great hunt Marion
And so much for the " Elephants are endangered " slogans we hear every day.
So is elk in New York City

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Brilliant and very well done on both species. The Kob is huge.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Andrew. The eye of an expert PH dont miss... The kob is 23 inches... We choiced him between many and many

mario

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mario:
Thanks Andrew. The eye of an expert PH dont miss... The kob is 23 inches... We choiced him between many and many

Very impressive and I think the biggest I have seen.

What next Mario?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lecwe maybe? Cool

mario