ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Great Trip With Kei River Safaris - 1

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great Trip With Kei River Safaris - 1
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
The gang, my dear wife and three sons (13, 21, 23), and I returned last weekend after having a wonderful time with Andrew Renton and his family hunting a beautiful area of the Eastern Cape. It had been ten years since my wife and I last hunted in SA. An email to Wade Derby (Crosshair Consulting) two or so years ago with a query resulted in his recommendation for Andrew with, "please, just trust me on this". I did and without question made the right decision as all of us enjoyed every minute of the trip. Prior to the hunt we spent a bit over a week on photo safari in bush camps in Botswana (Muchenje Lodge in Chobe) and Zimbabwe (The Hide in Hwange) and on to Vic Falls for a couple of days. We then flew into East London arriving around 9 PM and were picked up by Andrew and one of his PH's Martin.

The next morning had us checking our rifles. Rifles brought included a pre-64 358 Win shooting the 200 gr TTSX, a Walther Model B Mauser 7x57 shooting the 160 gr AB and, for a bit of fun, an open sighted Erfurt Mauser in 8x57 shooting the 180 BT. We found that both scoped rifles shooting well off from where I had left them in the States. The receiver sighted Mauser was still dead on.

As I was only going to hunt 2 maybe 3 species the plan was for the boy's to hunt paired up and myself and wife tagging along with all of us rotating so we could spend time with one another, something that happens little these days given that we are well spread out with the two oldest in different universities and myself here in Kazakhstan. This worked out well though we did find ourselves short a rifle at times as we split up a bit more so Andrew and PH Clint kindly offered the use of their's, a suppressed Sako 7mm Rem Mag and a suppressed Mauser 300 Win Mag, when needed. The boy's dug shooting the suppressed rifles. So off we went with all desired animals taken short of mountain reedbuck. The little buggers just were not cooperating. This was all great spot and stalk hunting on vast properties in rugged terrain that I had no idea existed in the Eastern Cape. We ended with four days in Cape Town and while having dinner I asked everyone what they thought of the hunt, a unanimous fantastic in various forms with my youngest son Tony summing it up well as "A+ Dad". Another post to follow and maybe a bit more on the Botswana and Zimbabwe experiences later. Here's some of the game taken by the boy's.

Posts: 1575 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Good stuff tu2

Congratulations on the hunt with the family.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Wonderful!

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pics, looks like the hunt was a success!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your entire family for a very successful safari!

Best regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great hunt, it looks like fun.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12567 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Excellent job by the young men! Memories that will last a lifetime!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote