ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Recived measurements(Limpopo Safaris july 2002)

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recived measurements(Limpopo Safaris july 2002)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted
I just recived all my measurements from my Taxidermist and I also updated the photos (scanned the negatives)

-

WARTHOG
-------
Left Tusk 13 2/8
Right Tusk 12 7/8
Circumference (L) 4 7/8
Circumference (R) 5
Total Score 36

-

KUDU
-----
Left Horn 45 7/8
Right Horn 44 1/8
Circumference (L) 9 7/8
Circumference (R) 9 7/8
Tip to Tip 26 4/8
Total Score 109 6/8

-

IMPALA
-------
Left Horn 20 5/8
Right Horn 21 2/8
Circumference (L) 5 7/8
Circumference (R) 5 7/8
Tip to Tip 8 5/8
Total Score 51 5/8

-

IMPALA BLACKFACE
----------------
Left Horn 21 5/8
Right Horn 22 1/8
Circumference (L) 5 5/8
Circumference (R) 5 4/8
Tip to Tip 9 2/8
Total Score 54 7/8

-

ORYX
----
Left Horn 28 5/8
Right Horn 30 2/8
Circumference (L) 7 1/8
Circumference (R) 7 1/8
Tip to Tip 17 6/8
Total Score 73 1/8

[ 12-15-2002, 19:08: Message edited by: cchunter ]

Posts: 2121 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 08 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CC,
Very nice animals, looks like you had a great hunt. Thanks for sharing your pictures.
Bryan

Posts: 583 | Location: keene, ky | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Nice animals and pictures. Now we need the details. [Smile]

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
cchunter

nice pictures.

I guess you will have all your walls covers with horns and hides soon. I guess your wife has no need to think about any more paintings or decorations.

You are taking care of that from now on [Big Grin]
Another good lie to go to hunt more, I guess, decorating the house [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
Here are some copied info from the topic i wrote directly after I came home.

My first hunt in Africa was between 21-27 july with 5 days 2:1 hunting at a 25,000 hectars ranch.

We saw elephants, giraffes and the most anthelopes there is in RSA.

My PH Jasper did a terrific job and I had all trophies that i wanted. Kudu, Oryx, Warthog and 2 Impala (1 common & 1 Blackfaced).

Everything was perfect, the food, the camp and the service. I will return there as soon as possible.

My warthog was shot on a riverbed after slow stalking for more than 1 mile. My first shot was not that good but at last i got him only 30 yards from the first place I shot at him. We had to carry him on a stick for more than 1,5 mile to the pickup.

After two days looking for Kudu we finaly on the third day had the chance. My tracker spotted him from the car and we went on a bit and then stalked back. But we couldnt get closer than like 300 yards and quartering since he was looking at us all the time. Using my Remington 700 LSS and Zeiss Diavary scope with a 200 grains Oryx in caliber 300 WM and having a good rest i felt confident and took the shot. He died on the spot and we later found the bullet whish had expanded well. The same day my friend shot to Warthogs about 12 and 11 inch average. The last one we stalked in to about 7 yards but could not see the tusks or the warts since he was looking for food in a hole. After sitting there for some minutes our PH Jasper gave a little sound and the hog ran away and my friend took him on the run. That was the most exciting stalk for the week.

My first Impala I took from a kopje we was sitting on and it walked 10 yards after a 200 yard shot. The second one we saw in a heard from the car and we went by and ran back to find that the heard had gone, then two more came, one of them was the ram and i took him walking away from me att 100 yards distance. When we got there we saw that he was blackfaced. It was a nice trophy with 23,5 inch average.

The last afternoon with only two hours left to hunt we were staying on a large mountain and my PH spotted a single Oryx on the top of another mountain. We stalked up a smaller peak and took aim against a stone. My first shot was on 350 yards and was leathal, though he was walking over the mountain i carried on shooting and one hit took the heart and he was down. The sundawner tasted fine when we got down from the mountain. It was to steep to carry the meat so we only took the trophy.

Two exiting things during the week was first when we stalked for an Impala, to move softer we dropped the shoes and only had socks, after 5 yards the PH stops and point towards a snake (adder)crawling away only feets away. The second thing was when we stalked for a Kudu that we saw on a mountain 500 yards away. We went on in good wind and noticed some sounds ahead, only fifty yards in front I saw a grey shadow at the same time my Ph said; Quick to the car, Elephants. We had stepped right into eight elephants and of them there were some aggressive mothers with calves.

Recovered bullets. The load was bulllet 200 grains Norma Oryx with powder 74 grains Norma MRP for 300WM. From left the bullets are from warthog, oryx, kudu.

-

-

Johan

My wife have some restricted areas in the house were I am not allowed to place trophies. I have to work on this area. Who wouldn't like to have a shoulder mount from a Buffalo over the bed?

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Christer,

Great story and photos. Thank you for indulging me. [Smile]

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
nice pictures and storys

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Safari-Hunt
posted Hide Post
CCHUNTER,

How fast were you pushing those bullets ?
They seemd to have performed quite well.

Looks like the RSA made claw bullets I tested the other day what are the prices on those ?

Posts: 2548 | Location: Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa | Registered: 06 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cchunter
posted Hide Post
The velocity is about 850/860 meters per second with 200 grains bullets using 74 grains Norma MRP, The price for the bullets are about 4,50 rand each when you buy 100.