New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zim elephant hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys.I know iam a bit late with this report but when i got back from Zim the festive season was apon me and time just got lost.

In September i started getting restless for a hunt.Even though i had already done a big 21 day hunt in CAR earlier this year i deceided to try sneek a end of season hunt in.I contacted Todd from safari bound which hunts out of Sengwe one and two who had one Ele left on Quota for the year.the trip was booked for 15th to the 30th November.

On the evening of the 14th i packed my Land Cruiser and and was off to Zim.The drive wasnt to bad the longest part of the journey was getting over the boarder into Zim which took about 5 hours.The total journey was about 15 hours which included about 200km of dust road.

The guys from Safari Bound have two camps.One on the Limpopo River with the Kruger Park on the other side and the other is on the Munezie river.Both camps were more than comfortable well kept and staffed.We stayed at the second camp in Sengwe 2.

I was hunting with Kent Yeatman who is Todds Partner in the Business.How the hunt works there is if you are hunting in Sengwe one you drive up and down the Limpopo looking for tracks from the Kruger Park into Zim.If you find you pick up the spoor and off you go.I didnt hunt that area for Elephant as at that time of the year there has been good rainfall south of the Limpopo and the Ele move South away from the river.I was hunting in Sengwe two which borders Gonerezoh.You hunt much the same drive the boarder find tracks and off you go.Those two areas are well known for good Ele and earlier that year Kent had taken a 57 pounder a 67 pounder and a 93 pounder the year before had also prodused a 90+ Ele.

Hunting was hard the rains hadnt started yet and the temp was really hot.Iam talking on average in the early 40s and on one day i have pic of the thermomerte at 53 deg at 11h45.So hunting was done early mornings and late afternoon.The rest of the time you spent at camp relaxing.
We got onto a couple of bulls some were not shootable and some got away.On the 7th day we got onto a good bull with big Ivory we could see were he had slept and from the imprint on the ground there was about 5 foot sticking out the lip about a hour later we were on him and all i could see was this massive tusk sticking out.I was about to shoot him when he turned his head and he had only one tusk.I was still so excited at the time it didnt matter to me that he had only one tusk i still wantd to shoot him.He was a big bull its not easy to judge but with such a thick long tusk it must have been over 80 pounds.Kent stopped me from shooting him.He told me not to worry there are more big boys walking around.

On the elevnth day we came across another good track at about six in the morning we set out after it and after a hour we found were it had beed drinking.From the tusk marks left in the mud we could tell it was abig boy and that it had both tusks.We tracked this ele for about 4 hours and eventually caght up with it.It was standing behaind a tree.As it steped out we could see the ivory but he also saw us.he took one look at us and new he had to get back to the Park boundry were he would be safe as he started turning to head for the boundry i opened up with my 416 John Rigby.The first shot hit him in the spine and dropped him in his trackes Kent and i then ran up and put another into his chest and a last one into his head and there it was my first ele.

I really had a wonderfull hunt and couldnt have asked for a better result.Iam happy i didnt shoot the single tusker.The day i left we got the tusks out and we didnt get a chance to weigh them.The one was 6f3inch and the other 6foot.Kent is hear in South Africa at the moment but told me when he gets back he will get me the weight.I dont know how to post pics so i sent them to a friend of mine who is going to post them for me after i have posted this mail.You guys can have a guess to the weight of them.One of the pics that will get posted is my tusks next to the 93 pounder you can use that as a referance.I honestly have no idea to the weight of these tusks but will post it as soon as i find out.

In a nut shell i had a great time the trackers were good the staff were so friendly and were always joking around.The food was some of the best i have ever had in camp.I know at the moment alot of people are scared of Zim but were i was i felt safer there than i do in my own country South Africa.I felt safer leaving my stuff lying around knowing that it would be were i left it.In S.A.Imake sure everything of value is locked up as ive had many things go missing.The people were really so friendly for people to be going through what is happening there and still be so happy is great to see.

I plan on going back there next year for another Ele and a buff.Those Kruger and Gona buffs are really big and must be exciting to hunt in the thick stuff along the river.I will make sure the pics get sent sometime today

Hope you enjoy them

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmara:The day i left we got the tusks out and we didnt get a chance to weigh them.The one was 6f3inch and the other 6foot.

Eeker thumb

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you got a big daddy! Congratulations, looking forward to the photos!

~Ann

Posts: 19173 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the heat there is amazing that anything can live. I think i still have sunburn left 4 years latter so at the moment is about -20 deg f here

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Can't wait to see the pictures.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I was also around Gona 3 months ago and think my tusks was alsmot exactly that lenght - 6f4" and the other one 3" smaller and 18" around the lip - they went 77 and 68 - what was the circumference around the lip ?

Anton

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. sounds like a great hunt - can't wait to see the photos.

If you know, where is Sengwe II in relation to Malapati? I'll be hunting elephant in Malapati Oct/Nov 2009.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pictures pictures pictures
sounds like a great hunt.
Do you think that the single tusk was bigger than either of the tusks on the ele that you shot?
one super tusk or two good one, it could be a tough decision.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
I think it was on Sengwe, John Sharp took his +90pounder ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jimmara, congratulations!!! we are looking forward to seeing the Pics. Did you measure the circ at the lip?

Posts: 64 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys

Here are the pics that I promised, I don't have time right now to explain them all and answere questions but I try and get to that later today.

Anyway enjoy.

Posts: 203 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Very nice clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the pics are self explanetery.That big chunck of meet iam holding is his hart.The pic with the four tusks is the 93 pounder with mine on either side.I did measure the lip the longer one was just under 19 inches and the shorter one was just over 19 inches.

TerryR the single tusker was bigger.Not only was it longer but it remaned thicker and didnt tapper as much.My answer to your question is two tusks.I suppose if i had shot a thirty five ponder one big one would be better but the one i shot i wouldnt change for a one tusker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good hunt jimmara.Now that's an elephant.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A fantastic Elly Jimmara, well done. looks like about 42" sticking out, I would hazard a guess at 72 lbs a side. It looks like the shorter tusk has better mass. Looking forward to the outcome.

Posts: 64 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 02 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Wonderful elephant! Thanks for sharing..
Whatever he ends up weighing, you've got yourself a very fine elephant.. Smiler

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
THAT is a terrific bull elephant. Mucho congratulations! thumb

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13414 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jimmy

Glad to see the report and photo's!!! Nice ele, pitty about the PH and Hunter not looking too hot rotflmo I am in San Francisco till sat morning then heading off to Reno for SCI show. Safari bound is at booth # 5 trails end hall, they will be happy to answer any questions.

Once again, nice ele.

SHould anyone be interested we have a couple of non-trophy PAC ele hunts available until the end of March 2009 in Sengwe, price is $ 7 000 for 7 days all including. PM me if you are interested.

Posts: 605 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Good hunt Jim. Congrats!

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wow, helluva bull... congratz!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7533 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous. Congrats.

Mike

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!