ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Family Trip: question for booking agents, or your suggestions

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Family Trip: question for booking agents, or your suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
And if you are someone with an opinion or recommendation....I'd love to hear your thoughts too!

July/August 2004.
2 weeks.
Family trip (2x42, 1x13 boy, 1x10 girl)
10 day photo safari, with perhaps 2 habitats.
Camping is fine, luzury not required (but not averse to it if the price is right)
An opportunity for interaction with locals so that the kids get some appreciation that the native people are living in the environment, and not just "exhibits".
4 days plains game hunt at the end...trophy quality not required, but fair chase is. One child as an observer, at least one day each. Everybody is fit and can take the walking.
I think I have very realistic expectations of what can be hunted in such a short time, but life is full of compromises, and this is one of them.
Open minded about country.

I welcome your input, thanks in anticipation...

Posts: 132 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
UKHunter

Consider Namibia - easy to travel to, friendly and safe.

We can accommodate both your needs (photographic and hunting) in our Northern Concession, which borders on the Etosha National Park. Day excursions to the park is easy. Means you don't have to change camps.

Also, an excursion to the traditional area of the Himba people will be no problem. The Himba is one of the tribes in Africa that has almost completely resisted Westernisation. They still live the way they did hundreds of years ago. Very interesting trip.

If needed, we also have a plane available for some scenic chartering.

Contact me at nimsaf@mweb.com.na so we can get into more detail.

Regards
Pieter Stofberg
Nimrod Safaris (Namibia)

Posts: 53 | Location: Namibia | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Hi UK,

You also might consider Zululand in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. There is great hunting, wonderful cultural adventures and several exceptional game parks where you and your family can experience the Big 5. You would also be able to lodge at one facility and "do it all". Also very affordable.

I have an excellent outfitter who can handle all of your itinerary which means you'll have the same guide for the whole trip.

You are welcome to contact me at aspenhill@triton.net

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
UK hunter
You might like to take a look at my website. I'm a Brit PH living here in sunny SA and can accommodate your needs perfectly.

Cheers

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
UK hunter,

I forgot to say that most of my areas offer free accommodation to children under 12 years of age and if you teenage son would like to hunt a little he can share your rifle (if your happy with that) and still only get charged as a non hunter.

Cheers

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi!

I just got back from South Africa (take a look at bohas "Northern Province...") where I stayed for six weeks, one week devoted to hunting. I�m planning much the same trip for next year in April (1x43, 1x42, 1x10 and 1x12 boys). I�ll be staying with Tino Erasmus of T.G. Safaris (Limpopo Province). They�ve had families from the US and Europe and are used to catering to different needs. The hunting is good (great), they are close to Kruger and -above all- they are extremely nice people. Try contacting them. Tinos homepage is www.tgsafari.co.za

Have a nice trip

cewe

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out what Tony da Costa has. I took my wife and 4 sons in 2001 on a 10 day hunt with an outfitter that Tony set up. It was flawless as was the flights. His wife took care of all connections and we had no problems. We took 21 animals and had lots interaction with local folks.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
<GAHUNTER>
posted
Hi UK,

I'm getting ready to make a similar trip with my family to Namibia, leaving next week (Wednesday, June 4). Since this is our first family trip to Africa, I am not YET qualified to make a recommendation -- but I soon will be.

I am taking my wife and three teenage boys -- twin 16-year-olds and a 14-year-old. I have heard from several different sources, however, that Namibia is the perfect country for such a trip.

Don't make a final decision until we get back and I'll e-mail you how it went.

one of us
posted Hide Post
UKHunter,

Check out www.mriverlodge.co.za

I think they could offer you exactly what you are looking for in terms of a family safari. Their PH is Craig Maartens (son of famous Namibian and SA PH Basie Maartens). He is great with kids and adults alike.

The place only charges like $90 to $100 per day. And they are only about an hour from a park in Botswana where the kids can see elephant, lion, etc.

You can contact Craig Maartens directly at craig@africanclassic.co.za He can fill you in on the hunting prices, etc.

I have been to this lodge 3 times and it is great. I am returning again with my wife, mother, father, 15 year old neice, and four other couples in July. I have not found a nicer lodge or nicer people anywhere in Africa.

Sincerely,
John Barth
safaris@trip.net

Posts: 157 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote