Find
Notify
Tools

Miombo Safaris
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
HI,

I have never been to Africa on any hunt, yet. I sure am planning to go, but before I start to throw around alot of money, I am looking at different places. I would like to know if anyone here has hunted with Miombo?, and what would you say about them?. I saw there site and there tent camps, which look like something I thought look nice.So any information on them or how they are would be appreciated.The camp in the selous area is on the Great Ruaha river, I beleive this is in the northen selous bording the Mikumi national park. This is all news to me, so any input would be great. Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kev,

I have not hunted with them but I know that they are the outfitter for Cabelas Outdoor Adventures Tanzania Buffalo Special. I have spoken with Scott Coles at SCI a few times and he is certainly an enthusiastic promoter of their operation and style of outfitting.

You might want to check The Hunting Report for reports on Miombo.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

Thanks for the help,like said I am looking into hunts and outfitters. I like what I saw on there site, but it sure helps to hear from anyone who has been there with them.Kev

one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
I book for them and just e-mailed you some information.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi kev,

As a freelancer, i have worked for them and other companies in Tz. They are very professional. Scott will work 24hrs a day if he has to to make things work for you. That attitude is refelcted in their PH's and camp staff. Depending on what you want to hunt species wise I can make recommendations on which of their areas and Ph's to request. Their camps are first class and their equipment top notch. You are in good hands if you choose them.

Other outfitters to consider are:
- Tanzania Game Tracker Safaris (The best but expensive)
- Wengert Windrose Safaris (ditto)
- Rungwa safaris
- Old Nyika safaris

IMO, no need to look anywhere further.....

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

GREG R, I have not got and E-mail so far, but I will look for it.And thanks BWANAMICH for the inside information. You must alot of stories being a freelancer,Kev

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with miombo in the Kilombero 2 years ago. I can recomend them as far as the camps and staff went. All was well I really enjoyed the hunt and the people. If you are looking for a really good buff however the Kilombero is not the place to go.
There are thousands of buff in Kilombero and you may get lucky with something in the 42" range. Miombo will even tell you if you're looking for a real whooper then you may want to consider another area.

With that said I'd hunt with Miombo again they are a great outfit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In today's times, a 42" buff is a whopper! Most people would put money down now for a buff of that size!

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
I do not book for Miombo as I work with Rungwa Game Safaris exclusively, but if you are considering a hunt with Miombo, they do have some good areas and do run everything pretty tight. One of my PH's did a hunt for Miombo last year as they needed another PH, and my guy said that their Rungwa block was very nice for buffalo as well. On the other hand, Miombo has sold out to some Liberians and Scott and Michelle are no longer owners in the company, but have stayed on to manage, so do not know if things will change or not with the new ownership.

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

All,

Now Bwanamich I'd like to hear your argument on how the scenery is superior in the Kilombero compared to Masailand or the Selous.

Good hunting to you also.

PS.
Do you know Wayne Stanton? I'd recomend him as a PH anytime. I really enjoyed hunting with Wayne.

Can't argue on the scenery! For me Selous has some of the best scenery in Tanzania especially if you are along one of the major rivers. I have not met Wayne but have heard that he is very good with clients and hunts hard.

As for Safari12's comment on Miombo being sold out to Liberians, those are just rumors and best left unspoken. They have not sold out but have taken aboard some new partners who are American. .

Happy hunting!