New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tanzania Frist Time?
 Login/Join

<Johnny B>
posted
I have never been to Tanzania, but a friend asked me to inquire about his trip to Tanzania and Zanizibar on a photo safari. He and his wife are planning to go this Nov. 3 and visit Arusha, Lake Manyara, Serengeti and Ngorongoro.

He would like to know about the weather at that time of year (is it the rainy season?) and what shots are needed and if he needs a malaria prophylactic, are the bugs a problem? Any other advice you could give someone traveling to Tanzania would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Johnny,

We were in Tanzania in late August through mid-September last year.

We "touristed" on Zanzibar for three days, then spent time in the Selous and the Arusha area. Zanzibar is more tropical and hot while Arusha is at a higher elevation and is cooler.

I don't know about the weather in November, but I believe that is the rainy season. Here is something I pulled from the web:

The lower half of the Serengeti and the Ngorongoro Crater share the same two distinct rainy seasons. One is called the "short rains", the other the "long rains". The first normally occurs from mid-October to November. The second generally occurs from March to May (and has the heavier rains). The remaining periods are termed "dry season".

Veteran safari goers debate whether it is better to visit the Serengeti during the rainy or dry season. The answer largely depends on your priorities. Let's look at the rainy season positives and negatives relative to the dry season.

Rainy season positives: You'll experience the peak migratory period when migratory animals are in extraordinary abundance. The grasslands will be lush and green rather than parched yellowish brown.

Rainy season negatives: During the long rains, you will likely be subjected to torrential downpours accompanied by thunder and lightning. Dirt roads can become muddy and rutted, making road travel grueling, if not impassable, even for four wheel drive vehicles. Skies are more often gray than sunny. In some areas the grass grows so tall or thick that it impairs your seeing some safari animals.

Prime dry season period: In the period from mid-December through late February, the weather is usually ideal. The migratory animals are still around in sufficient number in the western Ngorongoro Conservation Area and in the Southern Serengeti to thrill you. Understandably, this is the most popular tourist season in those areas. Bookings become scarce and prices are at their highest.

Your friends will need a yellow fever vaccination and malaria tablets. For other vaccinations see:

www.mdtravelhealth.com

They will also need a visa to get into Tanzania.

Tell them to take a flyswatter, convenient to have in the tent.

For some ideas on packing see:
Packing List

Regards,

Terry

[ 08-26-2003, 04:01: Message edited by: T.Carr ]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Johnny,

They need to take some kind of anti-malarial drug. They should also take PLENTY of film, as they're going to some of the best wilderness areas in the world. The crater especially, is breathtaking. You don't say where they're staying, but CCA have the Ngorogoro Crater Lodge which is on the list of the top 10 small hotels in the world.... (at least it usually is, but I haven't checked this year) The same people have lodges at Manyara & at Serengeti which are almost as good.

They're going at the wrong time of the year to catch the migration, but nevertheless they will have a fabulous time. The only way they could make that a better trip would be to find extra time to visit the CCA camps on the Grummeti River and/or Kleins Camp.

They should go to a proper tropical medicine centre for up to date medical advice, but they will certainly need a yellow fever certificate.

I know they'll have a great time.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I was in Tanzania mid November, 2000. Overnighted in Dar, stopped briefly in Zanzibar, and then about 10 days in the Arusha area.

I found Dar rather dirty and considerably different than what I was used to in Namibia and RSA. My very brief stop at Zanzibar was very hot and muggy. It indeed rained a lot around Arusha.

Once you get away from the populated areas Tanzania is great. My observation was that instead of regular fences they have population fences. We had to drive quite a ways outside of Arusha to get past the people.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My advice is to get a good digital SLR camera and lenses. Get the best you can afford or maybe a bit better. Cannon looks like the current leader. We just got back from a similar trip. The photos were great. The savings on carrying all that film vs those tiny discs make it worth it. Take a coupl or 3 gigs. Take plenty of $ in small denominations as every one everywhere we went had their hand out. They want to be paid for getting their picture taken. It seems to take 3 or 4 of them to carry one of your bags. Go with a reputable travel company as if you drive on your own you will likely get into problems. Paperwork seems to be something the officials like to see lots of. Paperwork not in order= problems/fines/extortion money. There are many road blocks or inspection stations. We were with a rented car and driver. No problems. They waved us right through the roadblocks. Our PH had to run the gauntlet in his private car getting to hunting camp. In a 12 hour drive he was stopped 18 times with government officials of one kind or another asking for a bribe to let him pass. Official touring companies seem to have carte blanche. Be careful of the kites at Ngorongoro crater picnik area. Eat in the car or they will dive bomb you and take the food right out of your hand. In fact they may take a piece of finger with it. It will be a great time. Good luck and sorry it doesn't seem to have any hunting involved. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nov. 3 is getting into the very beginning of the rainy season. So it could go either way. We break down our camps in Nov. between the 1st and the 15th normally...unless it starts raining early, they everyone makes a run for it.

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yellow fever is no longer "compulsory" to enter Tz. It is recommended though but should be done at least 2 weeks prior to your arrival in Tz.

Weather should not worry you too much. Nov 3 is still relatively early but you will get mid to late afternoon thunderstorms which are very localised - it may pour here and not 1 mile away!

Often the blackness froman approaching thunderstorm makes for incredible contrast on landscape photos.

more than the weather, your friend should worry more about whether he is with a reputable outfitter or not....

Have agreat trip

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,

Yellow Fever vaccination is compulsory because Tanzania is an endemic Yellow Fever zone. IF you want to enter another country after you leave Tanzania, you need to have proof of Yellow Fever vaccination. The vaccination is compulsory to get into other countries, but not to enter Tanzania.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Correct T. Carr.

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Len Backus>
posted
Johnny B

I was on a photo shoot at those exact places in late June of 2001. Can't speak to the weather question but the animals and birds were fantastic in numbers and variety. I shoot all digital and if your friend would like to chat send him my way.

Here is a link to my second African photo trip...this time to the Masai Mara in Kenya, September, 2002.

More pictures of Len's Kenya Photo Safari

-

[ 09-27-2003, 18:02: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Len

What an excellent photo! It must have been amazing just to be able to see this much less capture it on film (digital!).

Cindy

Posts: 49 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote