Find
Notify
Tools

Back from Africa.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted
My son and I just got back from Africa. We hunted in Namibia, Limpopo and near Malelane in Eastern RSA. Namibia was the surprise. We saw many large Kudu, Oryx, Springbok and Red Hartebeast.
I'll try to post some pics.
The first one is the Kudu I took. I was looking for another one, but this one came along. I took him. My Son got the one I was looking for. I think his is longer than this one but I like this one. His lower teeth were worn out and he was alone during the rut. The PH said he wouldn't make it thru the winter.
This is the Gemsbuck I got near the Botswana border. I don't remember what any of them measured, but they suit me just fine.

Springbok.

RedHartebeast.

Duiker.

Baboon.

Hog and one funny mean little dog!

All the above animals were taken in Namibia. Some by me and some by my Son. Our rifles were, 338 Win Mag in a Browning A Bolt, 375 HH in a Browning A Bolt, and 308 with a old Rem 722 action and Lilja Barrel.
The following animals were taken in Limpopo and near Malelane.
Impala.

Blesbok.

Steenbok.

And an interesting picture we took with a digital camera of 2 Impala at a waterhole.

I used the 338 with Remington factory loads with Swift A Frame bullets on everything except the Blesbok and a Hog in Malelane. All one shot kills. In the 308 we used Win. Fail Safes. They work great in Moose and Brown Bear but I wasn't impressed with them over there. They worked, but on the Blesbok, I took a rear quartering shot and we found the bullet on the off side front quarter. It wasn't expanded enough to suit me. I've got 2 bullets we retrieved around here somewhere. If I can find them I'll post pics.
A great time was had by all! We saw more animals than we expected in Namibia. Limpopo was ok, but a little to civilized for us. If we go back, it will be direct to Namibia bypassing RSA. We were in RSA before the July 1 fiasco but it was still a pain in the butt. Namibia is no problem.
I don't think we will be invited back to Malelane. We broke out PH. My Son wounded a female Hog and she ran into a hole. We thought she was dead. Our PH decided he could lasso her tusk and we could pull her out. Wrong. She was still alive. She got him 3 times in the face before we could pull him out of the hole. Loose teeth, broken nose. broken cheek bone and a concussion. He was in the hospital in Nelspruit when we left. The report was he was ok, just hurting a bit. I bet he learned something from that one. I will not give the outfit or the PHs name to protect the innocent.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention The Afton House. We stayed there 3 times. Louis, his wife and crew were everything we had heard about. My advice, don't go thru Joburg without their help!

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TJ
Namibia was good to you, You took some very impressive animals! I would sure like to talk to you about your hunt some day. Maybe we could meet at Louis restaurant in Kenai some day. Who was the outfitter you hunted with?
Robert Johnson / Soldotna

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a dandy looking Kudu. Congrats, and thanks for the input. It's interesting that you would prefer Namibia over Limpopo. I've not hunted in RSA, so I can't compare.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great trophies TJ. I especially like the kudu. He has good mass all the way to the tips and is well into a third curl. Thanks for sharing your hunt and pictures.

Posts: 82 | Location: Loxley,AL | Registered: 25 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really beautiful animals! I agree with you about Namibia. I'd take it any time over RSA, and it's cheaper too boot.

Posts: 322 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Nice trophies, TJ. Looks like you and your son had an excellent adventure hunting the RSA and Namibia. Heck of a kudu you took in Namibia!

Posts: 7540 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
The Kudu and Gemsbuck were worth the trip. The other animals were just icing on the cake.
Here's another pic of the Kudu. The tips were worn thru to the core. He fell after one shot, 338 Win Mag shooting Rem. Safari Grade 225 Gr. Swift A-Frame. I could see just the head, horns and back outline thru the brush at about 80 yards. The bullet was deflected about 6 inches to the side and 4 inches high. It hit the spine and he fell. I shot off the PHs shoulder with my left fist under the forearm for added height. I think I will now have to buy the PH hearing aids. The BOSS system on the 338 is LOUD! I will remove it and install the one without the holes.
If I had been using a smaller caliber and smaller weight bullet I suspect it would have been a miss because of the heavy brush. You can see the bullet hole high in the middle of the back.

Here's a second pic of the Gemsbock. I forget what the measurements were. I will contact the PH and get them. Another one shot kill with the 338. Off the sticks at about 100 yards quartering away. The shot entered about 6 inches behind and 12 inches below the spine on left shoulder. It exited in front of the right shoulder.

We didn't use an Outfitter for the hunts. They were purchased at an SCI auction. We did all the logistics ourselves using info provided by the good folks on this site. Thanks!