New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Buffalo in Tanzania
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I smell a story. Somebody is not telling the truth ( English version ).

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert-You are correct. It was a fairly simple question. Bob Butler.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Simple question yes, but not a simple answer, and not one that I want to stick my nose in to answer. Ridge lost the contract or hunting rights to the areas for one reason or another and nothing to do now but to continue hunting there and make the best of it.

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I have been told Ridge was NOT kicked off. He GAVE UP the two concessions because there is a new highway being built that is going to run trough the middle of them. The road will spell their doom because of increased poaching. Ridge also confirms at this moment poaching is out of control by certain individuals. I am told you can verify some this information by looking at world bank .com under lolkisalie conservation area.

If this information is true it would certainly have a affect on the value of these concessions.

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Seriously doubtful anybody is going to build a highway in that area.

The World Bank is funding the construction of another photo safari lodge in the Lolkisale area. You can see the project description here:

Boundry Hill Project

The project was approved for funding in early 2001. If it gets built, it will take as much as 35,000 acres out of the hunting concession. Lolkisale, already, is not large as hunting concessions go. I don't know the current status of the project.

I heard both sides of the Ridge/Christina story while I was there. The stories were quite different and its apparent there's enough bad blood there to skew anybody's version of the facts. I wouldn't hazard a guess at what's true and what's false.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote