Notify
Tools

Re: First Trip to Africa... Info
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted
DKing,

One of the first things you must determine, is what your budget is for this trip. Once that is set, then you can begin the task of weeding out the ones you don't like. T. Carrs list are wonderful references, so check them out. There are so many operations in RSA and Namibia to choose from that it can get a bit mind-boggling. If you don't feel you aremup to the challenge of putting it all together yourself, consider finding a booking agent, check them out thoroughly and go with it. Trust that they will take care of all the details for you. It does remove the stress level of preparing the entire trip. I have been to Africa twice,both to Namibia, and I am going to RSA this spring. I believe your thoughts of combining the hunt with some sight-seeing or just vacation stuff is important and adds a different dimension to the travels.

Once you have set your specific desires and set your budget, then your questions can become more specific also.

BigBullet

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I originally posted this in the Africa Big Game Hunting Forum but was advised to try here... and here it is.

I've gotten the okay from the head of the household (a kitchen pass) to book a plains game hunt in Africa for next year (2005). I'm more interested in having a good trip and vacation than in getting huge trophy animals... (What does that mean??? Basically ... it's a vacation for me and my wife and on that vacation I'd like to hunt with friendly folks and have a good time. My wife will be a spectator only, no hunting for her.)

I was up at the Eastern Sportsman Show in Harrisburg, PA this last weekend and spent a good deal of time talking to Ray and Mark of Lalapa Safaris. They seem to be nice enough fellas and offer a plains game hunt in Africa... two of my basic two requirements!!!! I anticipate going with them next April or May and thought perhaps someone here may have some info to offer on this outfit and general tips on other aspects of a trip to Africa.

TIA

Posts: 226 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Myself, I would look into many places before deciding who to go with.

Since RSA is not really "remote", you may as well find the nicest accomodations possible then go from there on property size etc...

The list Terry has posted of questions is good once you've narrowed your choice down, but here is what I look for at a glance.

1) Try to find as many pictures of accomodations as possible along with pictures of their vehicles and clients with animals. What I'm looking for their is there attention to detail. If they don't give a shit about keeping an imaculate camp, modern clean vehicles or cleaning up blood on trophy photos, then odds are that is not the place for me. A place that pays attention to "every" detail, will ensure you a good time with well preped hides, good food, clean accomodations etc...

2) What is included? If you ask for a package and you still have to pay dipping/packing/airport transfer charge, VAT etc... I don't like that either. I don't want a place to nickle and dime me on a package hunt. A package is just that, a package and should contain all pricing.

3) What demographic are their clients? Not to sound snobby, but if they are servicing the higher end of hunters, this ensures a better level of customer service for not necessarily more money.

4) If at all possible obtain a video if they provide one. This will give you an even better idea of what the camp is like.

Like I said, every hunter falls in love with their PH, but most can't see the forest for the trees.

If you are going to RSA for the first time I would recommend GARRY KELLEY his web site is not the best, but he run's a spotless camp with attention to ever detail.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

Gmaxon gave you some great tips. In fact I personally am hunting with Garry Kelly this year for a couple of weeks in South Africa and then he will be my PH for an elephant in Botswana.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Is this their website? Lalapa Safaris

The best way to check out an outfitter is to talk to references (experienced references who have been on several safaris).

I notice that they are in the East Cape. I have never been there, but I understand it is very scenic. I also understand the much of the shooting is relatively long-range. On my two safaris to Mpumalanga and Limpopo provinces in South Africa, no shot was longer than 150 yards.

I don't know if most people realize that there are differences in the hunting areas in South Africa. Not that one is better (or worse) than the other. Just that the hunter should know what the hunting is like before he books his hunt.

Regards,

Terry

P.S.

I see they are members of the East Cape Game Management Association ECGMA which, according to their website, has a code of conduct for it's members. Might drop them an email and see what they say about Lalapa.

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Terry has made an excellent point there. RSA has a huge diversity of terrains, and I don't think I can think of another African country that such a diversity. (but the variety of knowledge on this forum is so great, I bet someone come up with other countries!) RSA has everything from desert to mountains and thick bush to open plains. It would be advisable to decide the sort of hunting you would like before booking an area. Personally, I prefer the thick bush and close range shooting of KZN, Limpopo & Tanzania etc.

You should also check that all charges are included in your quoted price as some outfitters make an art out of hiding such additional charges as dip & pack etc.

one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
DKing

Also consider Namibia, good reports coming out of there particularly for first safaris. Print out T.Carrs 'Questions to ask outfitters". I would also suggest using a consultant to help you select an area and an outfitter.

CFA

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DKing

I tried to send email but got it returned. See PM instead.

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Has any body heard from this King guy many of us have tried to help out but no replies...

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the confusion on the e-mail addy... remove the part that says "RemoveMeFirst-" and it'll work fine.

GMaxson

Thanks for the info. The pictures I saw at their booth seem to indicate that they have good equipment and the lodge appears nice and neat. There is no airport transport charge but I believe VAT is not included. I met one of their previous clients at the booth, seemed like a nice enough fella and I asked if the locals folks also hunted at their place. Their answer was that local businesses book for a "bonding/team building" type meeting on occasion but generally shoot non-trophy animals.

There area is apparently about 4000 ft ASL and appears mostly open "sage" type stuff. They mentioned that shots could be long (relative term) or short depending on my preference. I watched a lengthy video and saw nothing of concern there either.

They appeared quite professional and answered all my questions without apparent "canned" answers. Both men remembered my wife and my name and greated us by name upon our return the following day. When other potential customers came to the booth they were warmly greeted and I felt no hint of being passed off or over during their conversations. They appeared to me to be very nice folks (unlike some others SA outfitters I also chatted with).

Thanks

T. Carr

Thanks for the info and the links. I had done a search on the internet and found several references to their business prior to my post here and all info is appreciated.

Thanks

Shakari, CFA

Thanks

BigBullet

As to budget... I expect to spend about USD $10,000 to USD $12,000 and this outfit fits the bill nicely with some spare money. There were many that were lesser amounts but I didn't care for the representative and I won't spend less to have a lesser experience.

I'm pretty well set on going with Lalapa Safari and was just curious if there were folks here that had been with them or knew of them, just a last minute check sort of thing.

Thanks

LHowell

Got your PM just a few minutes ago and printed it out for later reading and reference. I've been pretty busy at work and with caring for a new puppy.

Thanks

retreever

I replied

Thanks

Posts: 226 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
DKing,

Although I didn't book my hunt with Lalapa, I spent two days there hunting because Ray also contracts out to the outfit I did book with. In fact, Ray was my hunting partner's PH for the entire 10-day hunt. So my PH and I traveled and hunted the same concessions with Ray and my partner.

I killed my black wildebeest, zebra, impala and blesbok on Lalapa properties. You can see some of the photos at Tony Mandile's June 2003 Safari

Ray is a super individual, and will go the extra mile to make sure you have a memorable hunt and get nice trophies. My partner, who is an experienced hunter and also killed some outstanding trophies at Lalapa, had nothing but good things to say about his PH. Ray's mom and dad, who provide the "at home" atmosphere at the lodge, are great folks, as well. Plus, the accommodations and food are both first-class.

If you have more questions, holler at me. -TONY

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tony

Thanks for the reply and thumb's up on the experience. Your photo's are very good as one would expect and that is a fine zebra. I would be very happy to get an example like that (I believe I like the shadow stripe type a good deal better than the darker models, and I mentioned this to Mark during our chats).

I greatly appreciate your reply.

v/r

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
DKing,

If you book with Lalapa, you will likely be the only ones there and get very personal service. Ray's mom, Diana, and dad, Theo, mostly do the cooking, and they also make some excellent biltong!

Both the black wildebeest and impala were above average trophies, while the blesbok was nice but not outstanding since I wasn't being too picky and killed the first decent ram we found. There were definetly several larger ones roaming around, though.

Below is a pic of the inside of the main lodge building, and the others are a few more of my zebra. It was a very large stallion with hardly a mark on it and should go about 14'-16' long from nose to tip of tail as a rug. -TONY

In the skinning shed with my PH and tracker/skinner.

Loading the critter into the truck.

PH and tracker with the striped horsie.

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dear New Member
Terry Blauwkamp advised me to advertise on this "well enjoyed" site, so I did. I'm an outfitter (Africa Hunting Safaris) in the Limpopo Province of South Africa and I think what we have to offer hunt and accommodation wise, might fall in your class. Please check out our operation, or provide me with a mailing address and I can forward you a brosure and cd of my operation.
Vlakvark

Posts: 5 | Location: Ellisras, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 13 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry Blauwkamp is one of the nicest people I have ever known. Of his own volition, he sent me some travel tips for the first-time hunting trip to Africa which helped me a great deal in missing the pot holes, plus sage advice and information on about every aspect of the trip. Terry is a true gentleman, so uncommon it seems in these current days, and does this with only helping people in mind.

Im forever in his debt; my thanks and gratitude.

Posts: 119 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 23 December 2003Reply With Quote