ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    The Epilogue . . . Burkina Faso Group Hunt
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Epilogue . . . Burkina Faso Group Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Can you tell us more about the rifle in the photos, please.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Sure. I got the rifle from PSmith who posts on AR. It is a 9.3x64 Brenneke that was built by Wilhelm Brenneke in Berlin. It was built on an FN action with a Bohler Spezial barrel. Engraved floor plate and trigger guard. If I recall correctly the barrel is approximately 25". Has a left side two position safety. In the next couple of days I will try to snap and post a picture or two.

Mike

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike. What an extraordinary hunt. As per usual, excellent read. You surely did well.
Jytte

Posts: 215 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 13 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice trophys and a cool adventure. Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Mike, thanks for you report and congratulations on the fine trophies you took. Glad to know your wife is okay. I am headed that way next February. Looking forward to it...

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Some photos of the Brenneke:

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
I have talked with another operator there that has very nice food, still a fair camp, has someone for everyone that speaks English to go on truck, etc., but in fact the prices are WAY higher. I am trying to work with my guy and the concession owner to improve some of these things, but the owner is very wealthy, and i really don't think he cares about improvements as most of their clients are French, and they seem to be very content with the way it is. That being said, the food and accomodations are still much better than many wilderness hunts in Alaska, BC, the Yukon, etc. that cost a lot more. You just have to know what to expect, and realize there is a reason you are getting goo hunting at a really good price. It certainly is not for everyone.

You know,
Now that I have had plenty of time to get over the ride home and bask in the post safari memories. I don't know that I would want to change it "too" much.
Like you said the accommodation's and food are better than a lot of wilderness camps. The small hardships and mishaps are what makes for a grand adventure.

Now if mister money bags can get that highway repaved, Id be all for that.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mike
Another great adventure and report.
Those chalet maids looked more dangerous than the buffalo Eeker

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Exactly . . . like playing Russian Roulette with a six-shot revolver . . . only with five loaded cylinders instead of five empty cylinders. Wink

Mike

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Well, those pictures of the rifle ruined my day.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Look at it this way Paul, you were just spreading the joy . . . for which I am very thankful.

beer

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, those pictures of the rifle ruined my day.

You still have your Jeffery double...quit yer bitchin! :-)

Posts: 20101 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle Mike,class, thanks for taking the time to post them. Great animals hard safari.jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
" Exactly . . . like playing Russian Roulette with a six-shot revolver . . . only with five loaded cylinders instead of five empty cylinders."

Quite right Mike, definitely a time for having your cylinder remain loaded.
Obviously your abilities as a speed shooter wouldn't be an advantage

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Wink

Mike

One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I am thinking of getting a bar maid for camp.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9877 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Glad your wife is well Mike.

Sounds like a great hunt and one I would enjoy. It also sounds very similar to my previous Russian Brown Bear hunts in terms of language barrier, accommodations, food in camp, go with the flow mentality, airline issues and schedule, etc., up to including the DG in the last photo! Cool

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks Todd, I appreciate the comment, and the gesture. Definitely not the trip for anyone that thinks a safari should run like a Swiss watch or the German train system!

Mike

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Well done Mike, excellent view of BF and what to expect. Congrats, I like each of the trophy's.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I've always felt more memories are made on a trip like that than one where all is scheduled and scripted. Glad you had a good trip.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote