New
Find
Notify
Tools

August 2003, Rooiport Game Reserve
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
6 of us booked with Madubula Safari's for plains game at the Rooiport Game Reserve, DeBeers concession, just west of Kimberly, RSA. 36 trophies taken, 34 made the SCI record book. I took a 89-1/8 Gemsbok, 45-1/8 Blesbok, 55-2/8 Impala, 41-7/8 Springbok, and a 32-6/16 Warthog (all with rifle). My friend took a 70-3/8 Red Hartebeest with a 308 Win. rifle, a 86-5/8 Blue Widebeest with a 44 Mag handgun, and a 31-8/16 Warthog with 44 Mag handgun. 7 day hunt. Our PH was Graham Sales.

Posts: 180 | Location: Mt. Vernon,Ohio, USA | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Nice size animals taken! I'm sure all enjoyed the hunt. The Rooipoort area is a lovely terrain on which to hunt. Shot my very first blesbok on the property way back in 1965. Still vividly remember the shot and think back with nostalgia.

Incidentally you must have meant that Graham Sales was one of the three PH's? By law 6 hunters need to have at least 3 PH's.

No mention of kudu in your list? The area is not known for big kudu. Maybe I can assist with a kudu hunt on a return trip sometime?

Verewaaier.

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
<mufasa>
posted
I hunted with my son in July immediately before your hunt. I hunted with John Abraham and my son hunted with Graham Sales. The game was fantastic and we both had a great time. That is probably the best plains game concessation I have hunted in South Africa.

posted Hide Post
I also hunted with mufasa in July. Had a great time..
Shot a real nice Gembok and Kudu.

Posts: 85 | Location: Johnson City, TX. | Registered: 25 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey that's great! I was talking about my PH, there were 5 in camp, including John Abraham. I have booked Graham again for June when I take my son to Venetia, near the Zim border. That's where I'll get my SG Kudu. John A. sent us an e-mail regarding two monster Kudu taken last season in Venetia: a 66" and a 65"! I'll be elated to bag one over 60... My main goal is a L. Bushbuck, as big as I can get. All I'll have to tell Graham is I want a monster and he'll bust his butt to find me one. I missed a 18-1/2" Blesbok twice with a handgun in Rooiport. I know it was 18-1/2" because a friend took it with a T/C Encore on the next to last day we were there. It made #1 SCI for Handgun, would have been #2 SCI for rifle... Graham's a great guy and a good friend. He and my son will get along like old friends!

Posts: 180 | Location: Mt. Vernon,Ohio, USA | Registered: 14 February 2004Reply With Quote