New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swakopmund photos
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When driving west to Swakopmund, Namibia, pay attention to the warning signs.... :-)

-

-

-

-

You may pass the Spitzkoppe:
 -

Here are some shots of the waterfront:

-

-

-

[ 07-18-2003, 23:25: Message edited by: rick3foxes ]

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a restaurant called "The Tug", right on the beach:

-

Here we are inside, eating stir-fried ostrich, looking out the window. (This window is in the green "shell" on the right of the above photo.)

-

This shot is looking back toward town - the Lighthouse Restaurant is located at the foot of... well, you know. [Wink]

-

Here is an example of some of the residences in town. Note the European influence:

-

20 minutes south of Swakopmund is Walvis Bay:

-

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course, there are the Dunes of the Namib:
Don't pass up a chance to ride quad-bikes over the dunes!

-

-

Rick.

[ 07-18-2003, 20:48: Message edited by: rick3foxes ]

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Waaay cool! Sure looks remote in those dunes!

Posts: 19155 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[Eek!] If the world ever has a sand shortage, Namibia is going to become a rich country. [Cool]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pictures of one of my favorite hunting countries! Thanks for sharing them Rick!

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Fantastic photos - especially the sand dunes.

Thank for posting them here.

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Great photos! Thanks for sharing them.

Looks like a couple of happy hunters there. I love the kudu crossing sign... [Smile]

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed your photos. Its nice to see some of the country besides the hunting grounds.

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great photos. My wife and I made the trip, with a guide to Swokopmund in March of last year it was worth it. Namibia is absolutley beautiful. The only drawback to the trip was the seats in the Volkswagen van, they were about the most uncomfortable seats we've ever used.

Posts: 179 | Location: Westbrook, Maine | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
Rick,

Thanks for posting the photos. It sure is a ruggedly beautiful country. I've been to Namibia twice, but never to Swakopmund. I wish I had gone now! Love the pictures of the warning signs.

Thanks Again,
BigBullet

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing .....I'm in awe.....and I just returned from my first African Safari!!!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pics! Here's some of mine from three years ago:

- The Town - can't get more german than this.

- The Coast

- The Dunes

[ 08-07-2003, 08:58: Message edited by: KuduKing ]

Posts: 380 | Location: America the Beautiful | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Good photos. I love the warning signs!

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An aerial view of the town looking east from out over the water. We visited after hunting east of Windhoek, although fun, I would rather be hunting then in town.

-
Looking in from the boat ramp
 -
And a couple of aerial views of the dunes south of town. Great place to ride quad bikes!
 -
 -

Posts: 80 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Great pictures. Thanks. They give a real feel of the desert and the town.

Posts: 13389 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures, thanks very much.

Wheres the keys to the ATV? I'm in the mood to go riding.

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote