ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    CMS Ele Bull and Cape Buff in Chewore South, Part II

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CMS Ele Bull and Cape Buff in Chewore South, Part II
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
HUNT REPORT WITH CMS IN CHEWORE SOUTH PART II

Rich put me on many stalks for Eland, Impala, Kudu, Hyena, and, of course, Bull Ele. Every day we were amongst the cows and young bulls and within the first 9 days we could have taken at least 8 tuskless. We spoored up those tall hills and into those dry rivers. Some stalks took hours and some only 20 minutes.

One day we glassed some cows and a large body bull on a hillside approximately ¾ klick from the vehicle. Uphill, of course. Well, we scurried up this hill with me taking a few breaks to catch some air. I had lost 30 lbs. and worked with a trainer to make this trip successful and even with that, at age 58, I still needed a few minutes to catch wind. Shon was always encouraging me to get me moving at a quick gait. He is really fit and both he and Rich challenged me for the better. We reached near the summit but were stopped short by a small group of Zebra. Because we didn’t want to spook the ele’s, which were in the breaks between these hills, we held up and let the zebra pass. We eventually reached the top and had a magnificent view of cows and bulls feeding just below us. Although too young, one particular big bodied bull had a nice matched pair of ivory, but too light. We never found the big bodied bull as it slipped away. Amazing how they can disappear so quietly. I’ll gloss over my slip and slide down Mt. Everest.

On day 6 we were scoping out the valley from a lookout when Rich and the fellows spotted a herd of cows and one bull with long ivory about 1 klick away. Couldn’t accurately judge the size so we made a plan to get ahead of them. We saddled up (I was secretly hoping we could drive ahead of the group but it was not to be) and ran about two klicks as the crow flies (of course I estimated this run at about 12 miles but maybe I’m exaggerating a little). Again Shon encouraged me to keep going and when we made our way up and down all of the broken ground we emerged into an open area ahead of the cows. Although I was quite winded Rich threw me a nice compliment: “Not bad for a 78 year old!” I said something we had to bleep out as Ray was filming every wheeze and grunt I made on this Bataan death march. It was so neat to be in front of this heard that made its way toward us. The bull was behind the herd and they made their way to about 15 yards in front of us. We remained motionless and, sensing something was not right, made their way slowly to our right. This allowed us to move forward to view the bull. He was a big bodied bull but Rich correctly surmised his weight at 30 lbs. Their was a discussion but, as Rich pointed out, we could stay there an hour staring and they would still be 30 lbs. I made a decision to leave him be and, hopefully in 20 years, he’ll be a great prize for someone.

Shon had to head back to the states on day 7 so we had a little party with a cake Crispin baked for him.

img_0228_0587 by MFagras, on Flickr

Day 9 found us checking for tracks when all of a sudden everyone became excited and Rich looked at me and said we were in luck. Not knowing what was taking place I exited the Cruiser and followed everyone about 20 yards off the road wherein Rich pointed out a Pangolin. I soon found out how rare this was and Ray started filming him/her. We all took turns with holding this little creature, which is considered extremely good fortune.

Rich with Pangolin

263 by MFagras, on Flickr

The fellows and I trying our hand at good fortune

247 by MFagras, on Flickr

Videographer Ray and the Pangolin. H shot a lot of great footage of this creature.

253 by MFagras, on Flickr

On day 10 we were coming up short finding the older ele bull tracks but came upon a group of 3-4 younger bulls we wanted to track. We were successful in reaching them after an hour or so but the shifting winds and dry leaves gave us away several times. We continued tracking them and, after almost 3 hours, were within reach to get a glimpse of the ivory. Again the wind caught us and they were off to the races. We followed up and ran into a herd of cows when Rich asked me if I wanted a close look. I said yes so we scaled a 10 foot termite mound and on the other side was a group of tusked cows with calves. Immediately they caught our scent, whirled and in the span of 3 seconds the lead cow folded her ears and trunk and came racing up the few yards that separated us. We scrambled down and watched for her but she retreated. Really exhilarating fun.
It was then that Rich spotted a tuskless standing about 35-40 yards up wind. Day 10 and we had tuskless on left over quota so I asked Rich what he thought. He just smiled, silently pointed his finger like a pistol and blew away the smoke. I told him “Let’s do it” and we approached her as she was in the jesse. She spotted us and gave me a frontal view for about 2 seconds. Not long enough for a shot so we followed quickly behind her. She was headed for the herd by the termite mound and we were coming full circle. The tuskless slid behind a tree and poked her head in my direction. Her face was covered by brush except a small opening showing her eyes. Rich had me approach to 15 yards and I raised the Wilkes and fired the left barrel. She went down immediately while the herd erupted and we beat a hasty retreat. The cows milled around trumpeting but left soon after. This stuff is addictive. Just maybe that Pangolin brought us that good fortune after all!

Well earned trophy

348 by MFagras, on Flickr

Getting that frontal brain shot was important to me and I was glad I practiced at the range. Recovery only took about 2 hours or so and the meat was well distributed. The 4 panels will make nice gun slips.

A real group effort

346 by MFagras, on Flickr

Day 11 arrived and we hit bull ele tracks quickly. There were 2-3 in this group and we began our stalk. After tracking about 45 minutes the bull tracks merged into a herd of cows and it required a group effort to relocate. The fellows searched around for the bull track but Rich found it first and we were off again. Apparently the bull had separated from the cow herd and as we continued following something caught Rich’s eye…Zebra. Now, I really wanted to take another one, having taken one in Tanz. We continued viewing the stallion but Tonde and Kynosh, who had continued tracking while we watched the Zebra, whistled softly but hurriedly for us to join them. We ran over to their location and that’s when I saw this great looking ivory slowly making its way in our direction. It was a small bodied bull but very long ivory. Now, I was excited and knew instantly that I was going to shoot this bull. We continued to watch it and, except for the peculiar angle of its forehead that gave us a momentary pause to think it was a cow, confirmed itit to be a male. Rich told me that he thought I should take this bull. I told Rich no question about it; I was going to take him. Ray was getting it all on video and I turned to him and said “We are going fishing”, a promise I made to Rich and Ray if we were successful on the bull. The bull paused at about 40 yards and threw out its ears looking in our direction. Rich had me move up and the bull started walking at a right angle to me. I moved to 12 yards and he swung on me but the Wilkes was already in position and as soon as I lined up the front sight it was all over. Another successful frontal brain shot. I moved quickly to give him an insurance shot at Rich’s direction and it was all over in seconds. There is nothing as satisfying than a plan coming together. This was the most rewarding accomplishment, to successfully track and shoot a bull elephant.

A nice Ele Bull

398 by MFagras, on Flickr

Beautiful long age cracked ivory.

390 by MFagras, on Flickr

We're going fishing

401 by MFagras, on Flickr
Tusks at the Chenji Camp with Gary

560 by MFagras, on Flickr

561 by MFagras, on Flickr

The John Wilkes was a faithful friend

235 by MFagras, on Flickr

Day 12 we were headed for Chifuti’s Tafika fishing camp on the Zambezi. We had hunted hard for 11 days and now it was time for some fishing. We had a great time and Rich took a monster 13 lb. Tiger. Ray got in a lot of video and caught some Tiger’s as well. I was lucky enough to take 11 Tiger’s in total over the 2 days and, with the great wildlife viewing and fishing it was a most satisfying 2 days. Rich and Ray were also able to film and photograph a lot of ele’s on the Zambian side as well.

Rich’s 13 lb. Tiger

441 by MFagras, on Flickr

A fun fight

476 by MFagras, on Flickr

This is the life!

484 by MFagras, on Flickr

A nice way to end a safari with CMS

429 by MFagras, on Flickr

We returned from the Tafika fishing camp on day 14 to relax and get ready for the journey home. We drove to the Chenji camp to take care of some last minute business and Anthony Howland pulled up in his Land Rover. We spent an enjoyable 2 hours with Rich’s parents listening to “Ant” talk about adjusting to life and his plans for the future. I was so impressed with his positive outlook, acceptance of the situation and great attitude. He will be fitted for a prosthesis that will allow him to utilize his right arm with a mechanical hand that will utilize muscles in his arm to operate the hand. Ant is currently managing the camp for Gavin and plans to return to hunting, hopefully next year, using either a Blaser or double rifle in an appropriate caliber. He is left eye dominate which will aid him tremendously.

He made a statement during our time together wondering if anyone would have any qualms hunting with him considering the situation. I told him that I would not hesitate to hunt with him and that I doubted anyone with knowledge of his determination, ability and reputation would hesitate in the least. A remarkable individual.

Enjoying time with Anthony, Sandy, Gary and Ray at Chenji

562 by MFagras, on Flickr

Time to say goodbye, and Ray getting his evens with Rich and I!

565 by MFagras, on Flickr

Some Impressions
I picked CMSafaris due to their reputation and PH’s. My brother and I had the good fortune to have dinner with Rich, his fiancée Stephanie and Myles at Dallas last year so that gave me an idea of personalities and general expectations of trophy quality, etc… Rich Schultz was a true professional hunter in that he always had a plan, took the time to explain why and what we were doing, and was patient with my short comings (running up mountains among them) and possessed great tracking and hunting skills as well as a good temperament. He had a great sense of humor and that allowed he and I to play all kinds of practical jokes on Ray and Shon. In addition, both he and Ray made the best GNT’s (gin and tonic’s).

Ray was the consummate professional videographer. Never obtrusive, always ready to explain and answer any questions I would have concerning tracking, customs or the language. He never shied away and always there for the shot. I enjoyed his company and would highly recommend him to videotape your safari. A true gentleman.

I cannot stress the need for one to be in shape for this type of hunt. As I said, I had lost 30 lbs and worked out twice a week. I was able to perform with these youngsters at about 85 % capacity and did not miss a shot due to physical ability. Planning for a return, hopefully in April of 2015. Just need a way to tell the wife! In addition, practicing with your rifle off the sticks and off-hand at 25 to 50 yards can be so helpful.

A reason to return

img_1321_0812 by MFagras, on Flickr

img_0196_0516 by MFagras, on Flickr

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done! Great hunt reports and some excellent trophies, not to mention a superb adventure.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7542 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Great report and a heck of a nice bull!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12604 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grat report, I hunted with Rich in May and one of his trackers was Clever. Did Rich say way he was not with him?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a fine hunt. I was following your hunt in part through radio communications between Buzz and Rich. The long ivory on the bull is very nice.

Mike

Posts: 21402 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful ivory, hunted proper. Thanks for report and excellent photos. You and I are the same age. I'll be on the treadmill the next six months. Elephant are great motivators.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunteratheart
posted Hide Post
After meeting you in the airport and swapping stories, I couldn't wait for this hunt report!
Great report..great bull ele. Pleasure meeting you and reading up on the hunt.

DRSS
Sabatti 450\400 NE
Merkel 140-2 500 NE

Posts: 668 | Location: WA | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy:
Clever hurt his foot and is recovering in Harare. Would have loved to have met him.

Mike:
Likewise, I had Rich enquire as to ya'll's progress. Heard you were having a great hunt. I see why you enjoy hunting ele's, it is addictive.

Steve:
Really miss those pat down's from that little fellow in JoBerg! Will bring my water with me next time.

Marty:
They are great motivators.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is that coffee holding your tusks?

Posts: 133 | Location: Eskimo Point - CANADA | Registered: 23 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe:
He is a Chifuti employee and I didn't understand him clearly when he stated his name. Nice guy, as all of them were. Did you stay at the Chenji camp?

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Great report!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I want to ask a question since I don't know: in a lot of older photos eles look a whole lot bigger while lots of the eles I see here don't have heads which come up to the waist of hunters.

Are hunters shooting smaller, juvenile animals versus larger adults these days?

Thanks.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bluefish:
As I stated in my report this was a small bodied bull that was approximately 40 plus years old, according to Rich. I don't consider this to be a juvenile. In addition, the photos don't show it well, but the ivory has a lot of deep age cracks and wear to them as well, which is another indication of age. I can't speak for anyone else though concerning their elephants.

I will say that I had an opportunity, on several occasions earlier in the hunt, to shoot large body younger males with smaller ivory and passed them up due to age and ivory size.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Amazing that is a 40 year old ele. Incredible. I guess not knowing much about them one assumes they are all 13000 lbs when they are super old. Perhaps I have read too much of the old timers writings. Regardless, that is a lot of animal on the ground!

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A great hunt and great memories.
Well done.

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote