ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Save Conservancy Hunt - Matendere Ranch May '15

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Save Conservancy Hunt - Matendere Ranch May '15
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted
As in previous years, my hunt officially "starts"with my first African beer on the plane to Jo'Berg. I guess the flight attendant felt I needed more than one this year, and I gladly took it. So, on 29 April, my 7th hunt with Save Safaris and Mike Payne officially began.

I got to Mike's house on the evening of 30 April, and after Mike, Mel and I finished off a bottle and a half of fine single malt Scotch, it was off to bed. The next day was spent packing for our trip and doing some shopping in Harare, and on 2 May, Mike and I left for Nyanga in the Eastern Highlands to do some fly fishing for rainbow trout. On the way to Nyanga, we stopped for lunch at the Pine Tree Inn where we had a superb meal and a few pints in this proper British style pub.

We fished all the next day in a private lake catching 8 nice rainbows using "Hamil's Killers" and sinking lines - very different from the type of fly fishing I do in Virginia.
We kept a few fish for dinner that evening, and Mike did a great job of preparing them. More single malt Scotch followed, which made for a great evening.
On 4 May we were off to Matendere Ranch in the Save Conservancy. It was a very scenic drive along the Mozambique border. We stopped near the Save river Bridge to do some shopping for local carved items. Prices were much better here than in Harare as one may imagine.

After getting to the ranch and sighting in rifles, we were off to hunt in the afternoon. The bush was incredibly thick, so spotting game was not easy. We did come across a Grysbuck, but it turned out to be a female. Near dusk, we encountered a group of eland. Mike let me shoot a young bull for rations,and it turned into a couple of superb dinners and lunches later in the week.

As I mentioned earlier, the bush was very thick, and buffalo seemed to be everywhere. Getting close for a shot with a double rifle was another matter. This proved to be very challenging as there were tracks upon tracks almost every time we stopped to go after buffalo. On the night of 7 May, it rained very hard - unusual for May in Zimbabwe. We thought this was the break we needed, so we headed out on 8 May anticipating a good hunt. We found a set of Dagga Boy tracks at a pan mid morning that were not messed up by the rain, so we knew they were fresh. That was the good news. The bad news was that there was blood mixed in with the spoor, and the tracks headed into the thickest jess possible. When we started tracking, Mike had his 470 double at "port arms", so I knew this was not your average hunt. We tracked at dead slow anticipating a charge from every bush. After about 30 minutes of tracking, Mike spotted the Dagga Boy at about 15 yards lying under a tree in the thick stuff. We took one more step, and the bull stood and started towards us. I fired my Jeffery .475 No.2 Jeffery NE double (Owain Lewis's rifle) twice while Mike put in an insurance shot, and the bull went down. it was as good a buffalo hunt as I have ever had. My Dagga Boy had a 36" spread and 14" bosses - a real old guy and a real trophy.

The next day was spent hunting around kopjes for klipspringers and bushpigs. We found lots of sign, but that was where our luck ended. On 10 May, we encountered a group of young sable bulls near a kopje. We froze in our tracks, and after a few minutes, cow sable with several calves walked by. We hoped an old bull was following these guys, and our patience payed off. Ten minutes later I had a 40"+ mature bull cross 75 yards in front of us. Picking a small window in the thick brush, I fired my CZ 9.3x62. The bull went about 150 yards before piling up - he was a great trophy with 10 ½" bases.

The rest of the hunt was spent looking for klippies - we never found a shooter. I did manage to take a nice impala the last day of the hunt. Overall, it was a great safari, and I can't wait to return next year.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Admiral on yet another great safari in Save. I didn't know Save was such a good sable area. Did you see plenty of evidence of the Big Four on this trip?

Posts: 1867 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Lots of big leopard tracks on the roads from multiple cats, lions roaring outside camp every night (never saw them but they were there!), tremendous number of buffalo, and a decent amount of elephants, including one bull in the 50-60 pound range the last day...but he was the only real shooter we encountered. The bush was VERY thick, so if we saw animals, it was up close and personal.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt Admiral.

Sucks I was not able to tag along.

Next year.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Well done. I love seeing Owain's rifle back in the field doing what it was made to do. An excellent way to honor his memory.

Mike

Posts: 21248 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report... I will echo what Mike said and repeat it was great to see Owain's rifle in the field. And a very nice and proper buffalo hammered with it!

On a different note, I had no idea there was trout fishing in the Zim highlands. Kudos for mixing a little cast with your blast!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent horns on that young eland.

Posts: 1867 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No complaints? Gripes? Dang, you always seem to have a good time!!! jumping
Congratulations on a fine old dagga boy and a great "young" eland.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous sable!

Nice report, thx!

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done Admiral! Great old Dugga boy and a fine sable.

Rich Tabor told me all about those highlands and the great fishing, I am keen to go.

Posts: 1795 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats man - looks like an awesome hunt!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt, Admiral. Incredible animals all around. I like your taste in rifles, by the way.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Terrific buff and well done.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9875 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Admiral, great trophies there.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice photos and trophies - congrats and thanks for sharing.

One of Us
Picture of Lin Stanton
posted Hide Post
Nice old dagga boy!!!!

Lin Stanton
Email: lindon@mbalabalasafaris.com
www.mbalabalasafaris.com

Posts: 134 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 19 June 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nice old dagga boy!!!!

And the Buff is pretty nice as well. Well done Dave!

Posts: 20092 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Pulicords
posted Hide Post
Great hunt! Thanks so much for sharing. Your buff looks outstanding (lots of character)!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Tanzania 2012: http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/8331015971
Saskatoon, Canada 2013: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4121043/m/7171030391
Las Pampas, Argentina 2014: http://forums.accuratereloadin...4107165/m/1991059791

Posts: 260 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: 19 April 2012Reply With Quote