ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Mgm't. Elephant Hunt with Karl Stumpfe - Ndumo Safaris

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mgm't. Elephant Hunt with Karl Stumpfe - Ndumo Safaris
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
Outfitter: Ndumo Safaris – Karl Stumpfe
Location: Shalambala Conservancy in the Caprivi Strip area of Namibia
Dates: May 23-30, 2013
Type of hunt: Non-exportable bull elephant – from Karl’s post here on AR
Rifle: Ruger Safari Magnum 416 Rigby, Leupold VXIII 1.5x5X
Ammo: My reloads using 400 Gr. Barnes Flat Nose Solid bullets
Airline: SAA – JFK to Johannesburg. SAA Airlink to Kasane, Botswana

My trip began with a very early morning pick up by a shuttle service from my home in Wayne, PA to JFK airport in New York. I chose to fly out of NY to avoid having to spend a night in Joberg and go through all the crap with RSA gun permits. I was somewhat concerned about flying through NY with guns, but it was very easy. The only thing different from other airports is when you go to check in with SAA they call the NY Port Authority police who send an officer to check your guns to make sure they are not loaded then they walk with you to the TSA desk where you check in your rifles. On the return flight you just go through the normal customs stuff with no involvement whatsoever from the NY police.

Karl had suggested that I fly to Kasane on SAA instead of flying into Katina Mulino on Air Namibia. According to Karl, Air Namibia has become rather unreliable and cancelled flights were quite common. I took his advice and both flights were long but uneventful. Shortly before I left I received an email from Karl informing me that he was going to be in RSA and would be returning to Kasane from Joberg on the same flight I was taking. We met in the gate in Joberg and drove from Kasane to camp. The trip takes you through Chobe Park and I got to see a few Elephants along the road. We arrived at Karl’s camp in the Sobbe conservancy near dark. It had been a long trip and after dinner and a sundowner I settled in for the night.

The next morning found us heading to the Shalambala conservancy area where Karl had permits for the non-exportable bull hunts. We picked up a game scout and a tracker from the conservancy and were on our way. A few hours into the hunt we crossed some tracks. We were ready to start the tracking when the game scout told us he knew where they elephants were heading and we should head in that direction instead of following the tracks. Karl was rather skeptical, but the game scout kept saying how he knew where they were heading (to water) and we could get there ahead of them. We gave this a try and after walking several kilometers Karl got a call on his cell phone from the driver who we had left with the truck. The driver told Karl that the elephants were in some heavy cover only a few hundred yards from the truck and he could hear them breaking branches.

We did a quick about face and headed back to the truck. By the time we got back to the truck and elephants had moved off and when we were ready to follow them the game scout again tried to tell Karl he knew where they were heading. Karl explained to him, in no uncertain terms, that we were going to follow the tracks. We got on the tracks and after about an hour of walking caught up with a single bull. He was in heavy cover and I was on the sticks, but could only see the south end of a north facing bull. We were close but the bull never gave me a shot and seemed to sense our presence and walked off. We followed and eventually caught up with him again only to have the same scenario repeat itself. Again, I was on the sticks looking at the elephants butt. By this time it was getting dark so we called it a day. That was a rather exciting day. Two opportunities to get up close and personal with the elephant but no chance for a decent shot.

The next day Karl had to leave for a business trip, so I hunted with Fred Bezuidenhout. He is a great PH and only 15 minutes after arriving at Shalambala we cut the first set of tracks. Fred quickly recognized that these were tracks made by a bunch of cows and calves. Not long after than we came across another set of cow and calf tracks. Things were certainly looking up. It didn’t take long before we cut our third set of tracks of the morning. These tracks were made by a bachelor group of bulls.

We set out on the track and after walking about 1.5K’s I could tell by the very fresh dung and urine that we were getting close. Soon one of the trackers stopped abruptly and backed up. Fred and I approached slowly and we could see two bulls in heavy cover. One was clearly larger, but again he was facing directly away from us. The range was 21 yds. and Fred set up the sticks. The problem was the grass and small trees were higher than the sticks and I didn’t want to chance shooting through the brush. I moved slowly to my left to a broken tree trunk, which served much like a standing bench rest and was just high enough to allow me to see over the brush. Now it was a waiting game. The bull was beneath trees in deep shadows with branches obscuring large portions of his body. Fortunately, the wind was perfect and the elephants had no idea we were there.

We must have stood there for 5-10 minutes just watching the bull hoping he would turn to give me a shot. Finally he turned slightly. Fred asked if I could see his ear hole for a side brain shot and I told him I couldn’t. The bull was only quartering slightly to his left and Fred whispered to shoot him about a foot behind the shoulder crease. Problem was I couldn’t see the crease, but did have a view of his leg but the shoulder was obscured by brush. There was however, an opening behind the shoulder, so I estimated the foot distance and let loose with one of the 400 Gr. Barnes solids. All hell broke loose at the shot as both bulls crashed off into the brush.

We just stood there listening for a while and as soon as things settled down we could hear my bull making wheezing noises not very far away. We picked up the track and after walking about 100 yds. we saw the bull standing in an open area facing us. Having been on the receiving end of one elephant charge on a previous hunt, I had no desire to repeat that experience. The range was 45 yds. and I took the only shot offered which was a frontal brain shot. The bull dropped, but almost immediately started to get up.

Obviously, I didn’t hit the brain, but the bull had turned broadside in his effort to right himself so I put a second shot directly on his right shoulder and he was down for good. I quickly followed up with a finishing shot in the back of his head and another between his shoulders just to make sure. Upon examination my frontal brain shot was good for elevation, but off slightly to the right.

Here are some photos of the bull. The tusks were 36 and 34 inches long from the lip to the tip. Nice long thin ivory. In my opinion a very nice management bull.

About an hour later the local villagers started showing up for the meat. That’s when the feeding frenzy began.

Even the village dogs took part in the feast.

Since this was only the second day of the hunt I had time for other activities so Karl arranged for a tour of a local park where I saw something I had never heard of before – a tuskless bull elephant. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get a good picture of him. Karl then made arrangements for me to spend a few days at a fishing camp on the Zambezi river. The lodge was named Kalizo and I managed to catch several tiger fish and two large Bream. Most of the tigers were small but still a lot of fun to catch.

Finally, no trip report would be complete without a sunset photo.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2307 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Well done Tom on your management bull. A hunt to remember.

Nice Nembwe (large mouth bream).

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9876 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to read your report. I would have thought things would be a lot greener this time of year, is this normal? Were there a lot of pans with water or did you check the pans? Sounds like it was a heck of a lot of fun. I will be hunting in the Impalia area in July for a non-trophy ele with my grandson so I hope we have as good of time as you. He LOVES to fish so I'm anxious to see him fish with hippos and crocks around!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Very nice! Big congrats. A bull elephant offers a very special hunt regardless of whether your bull is exportable or not.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Boone & Crockett>
posted
Great report and congrads on the excellent trip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great hunt report
It was a no brainer hunting with Karl the Jumbo Guru
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice report.

Irrespective of whether or not the trophy is being exported - Elephant hunting is a special privilege.

Posts: 352 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 01 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Randy - I'd say about 50/50 on the pans. Some were dry and the larger ones still had water, but not full.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2307 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Way to go Tom.

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Elephants hunting is by far the best experience besides big cats.
Far out Tom

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very nice, congratulations

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12554 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice one - congratulations!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
well done and congratulations. brings back fond memories of the same hunt last year. by any chance did Karl mention how his camp construction is going at Sikunga? i think we will be using it in Oct. and had he repaired that damn washboard road into Sobbe camp??

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13180 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congrats! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!

Posts: 617 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done. Nothing like being on the track of ele.

Tim

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
Jdollar - You have a PM.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
Labman, nice bull and it sounds like a great tracking hunt. I hunted the Salambala a few years ago (not for elephant) and did the Kasane thing as well. Lots of in and out of customs posts, but it did give a us a chance to visit the Chobe Park, which was nice since I saw a few wild species I had never spotted before such as Ostrich.

Fred was the PH for the other guy in camp with me, so I spent a lot of campfire time around him. Quite a character, and from the looks of it he is even more so now. Had some real stories to tell, most of which couldn't be posted here!

We must have the same artistic eye. Here is my version of the Chobe at dusk.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Labman way to go.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
Labman way to go.

Mike tu2

+1

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice elephant! I took my first and only ele with old Freddy, he is quite the fellow.

DRSS

Posts: 625 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The picture of Fred....I always wondered what Santa Claus did in the off-season :-)

Posts: 20094 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice! Sounds like you had a great hunt. Congratulations

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your Ele and thanks again for the info!

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Looked like great fun! Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.
Nice report and b=very nice "management" bull.

Posts: 744 | Location: Australia  | Registered: 31 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
you would be amazed what passes for a management in Karl's areas- like my 42/45lb bull....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13180 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, Karl has a somewhat distorted perception of size. You should see one of his sandwiches!!! :-)

Posts: 20094 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your hunt and whetting the appetite of my clients.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
quote:
whetting the appetite of my clients.

We need to discuss my commission. dancing

Of course Biebs is also entitled to a piece of the action since he made the hunt sound so good, when I called him as a reference, that I just had to book the trip. Wink He was right.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of The BLB
posted Hide Post
Took a nice trophy elephant (Sikunga) with Karl last month, as well as hippo (Sikunga) and zebra (Sobbe). Father in law took elephant (Sobbe) and roan (Sobbe). Very successful hunt.

Beau

Posts: 79 | Location: Bay Area, California | Registered: 07 July 2012Reply With Quote