ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Karoo Wild Safaris - Mid Season Report and pictures

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Karoo Wild Safaris - Mid Season Report and pictures
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted
Hi Everyone

We're well past the half way point of our season at Karoo Wild Safaris in South Africa and it's been a season to remember so far. In the early part of the season we welcomed Vern and Joyce (Oregon, USA) to South Africa for the first time, kudu connoisseur James and Dorothy (London, UK) returned for their 3rd safari with us as did Rob (Birmingham, UK) and Scott (Texas, USA) for their 2nd safari with Karoo Wild. Steven and Neale (Queensland, Australia) hunted with us on their first ever hunt in Africa. Mike (California, USA) joined us for a shark cage diving/hunting package. Mike has hunted in Africa many times and it was a pleasure to hunt and tour the Eastern Cape with him. As it normally is doing the mating season, the hunting was superb with a number of excellent trophies taken. April and May again proved to be prime time for hunting kudu in the Eastern Cape Although the rain stayed away we still had to swim the odd animal out!

We welcomed Texan outfitter, Don and wife Debbie to South Africa in June for a 15 day hunt. Don took a number of antelope and small carnivores during his hunt, including the rare aardwolf. It was a privilege to hunt with Don and learn some of the skills he's developed as an outfitter and guide.

July proved tough hunting. The Eastern Cape area was flooded by a rare cut off low system and it poured for 4 days. Bruce and Michael (Oklahoma, USA) were hunting with us at the time and and we hunted through the rain (and sleet at times...) on the first half of their hunt. Richard and Michael (New Jersey, USA) and the Torres family (Mexico) joined us for five day hunts. Genaro Torres has hunted in Africa several times and his wife, 20 year old daughter and 13 year old son, Genaro jnr all were hunting for the first time ever. Genaro jnr took a black wildebeest, gemsbok and impala in the first two days. The next two days was tough going and we covered a lot of distance. He missed a kudu on the second last day and he began to doubt he would leave with one. The last morning and afternoon was spent searching for kudu and on the last hour he made a 250 meter shot to bag a 51 inch bull. The joy on Genaro snr's face when his son's perseverance was rewarded was one of the highlight of the season for me.

During the year we've added 2 new young trackers, Jerome and Dolf to our team. They're showing great promise under Mitchell's guidance. We're delighted to welcome Madeleine to the team as a student doing work experience and has been a great help to Lindsay in managing the lodge. We're looking forward to the second part of the season and have some exciting cull hunts booked for the next few months.

Thanks to all for visiting us this year. We hope you have fond memories of your time in South Africa.

Wishing you all good and safe hunting!

Victor Watson

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris
Email: info@karoowildsafaris.co.za
Cell: (+27) 721894588
www.karoowildsafaris.co.za

Posts: 382 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Victor Watson:
Hi Everyone

We're well past the half way point of our season at Karoo Wild Safaris in South Africa and it's been a season to remember so far. In the early part of the season we welcomed Vern and Joyce (Oregon, USA) to South Africa for the first time, kudu connoisseur James and Dorothy (London, UK) returned for their 3rd safari with us as did Rob (Birmingham, UK) and Scott (Texas, USA) for their 2nd safari with Karoo Wild. Steven and Neale (Queensland, Australia) hunted with us on their first ever hunt in Africa. Mike (California, USA) joined us for a shark cage diving/hunting package. Mike has hunted in Africa many times and it was a pleasure to hunt and tour the Eastern Cape with him. As it normally is doing the mating season, the hunting was superb with a number of excellent trophies taken. April and May again proved to be prime time for hunting kudu in the Eastern Cape Although the rain stayed away we still had to swim the odd animal out!

We welcomed Texan outfitter, Don and wife Debbie to South Africa in June for a 15 day hunt. Don took a number of antelope and small carnivores during his hunt, including the rare aardwolf. It was a privilege to hunt with Don and learn some of the skills he's developed as an outfitter and guide.

July proved tough hunting. The Eastern Cape area was flooded by a rare cut off low system and it poured for 4 days. Bruce and Michael (Oklahoma, USA) were hunting with us at the time and and we hunted through the rain (and sleet at times...) on the first half of their hunt. Richard and Michael (New Jersey, USA) and the Torres family (Mexico) joined us for five day hunts. Genaro Torres has hunted in Africa several times and his wife, 20 year old daughter and 13 year old son, Genaro jnr all were hunting for the first time ever. Genaro jnr took a black wildebeest, gemsbok and impala in the first two days. The next two days was tough going and we covered a lot of distance. He missed a kudu on the second last day and he began to doubt he would leave with one. The last morning and afternoon was spent searching for kudu and on the last hour he made a 250 meter shot to bag a 51 inch bull. The joy on Genaro snr's face when his son's perseverance was rewarded was one of the highlight of the season for me.

During the year we've added 2 new young trackers, Jerome and Dolf to our team. They're showing great promise under Mitchell's guidance. We're delighted to welcome Madeleine to the team as a student doing work experience and has been a great help to Lindsay in managing the lodge. We're looking forward to the second part of the season and have some exciting cull hunts booked for the next few months.

Thanks to all for visiting us this year. We hope you have fond memories of your time in South Africa.

Wishing you all good and safe hunting!

Victor Watson

Very nice Victor.

I'm sure the rain was a mixed blessing.. Tough during a hunt but much needed for range conditions.

Posts: 1862 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
Thanks. We only average 14 inches a year and rain in winter is a godsend.

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris

Posts: 382 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations some nice looking animals.

Life member NRA
formally scrappy

Posts: 192 | Location: Ga | Registered: 21 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Victor,
Can you export the ardworlf to the USA?

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
You can export them into the US. In the past it wasn't possible as they were listed locally as threatened. We've had an environmental assessment done and get a limited number of annual tags issued by Environmental Affairs which the taxidermist uses to apply for the export permit.

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris

posted Hide Post
Let me re-iterate what a great hunt this is and Victor is a great bloke (for a South African). My mug is in one these photos (the best looking one), so I will not attempt to bore everyone with a full hunting report and any additional photos. After all I only shot one other animal in addition to the photo posted here, so it wouldn't be much of a report. Luckily my mate "involved" himself totally in the wildlife which made it better for me as I got to see plenty of wildlife and plenty of "country".

For anyone looking for a trouble free, fully organised, great hunt with great country, wildlife and superb accommodation and food; this would be the hunt for you. The only person you need to deal with for EVERYTHING is Victor which is very reassuring and ensures there is no mis-communication.

The hunting can be challenging and the more effort you put in the better the rewards, as per usual. Tell Victor what you are after and he will do his best. He will tell you what it is and what it isn't and will not try to bulls*t you.

My inexperienced advice is, if possible, don't put it off until your "fragile", get yourself reasonably fit and be prepared to take that slightly longer shot (it will come in handy). Trees are not particularly plentiful in the Karoo (without thorns anyway). This is something I struggled with particularly with Springbok (bloody things). I had that much luck with my 30/06 that it is now a 9.3x62. Maybe the wider bullet will improve things for me.

Personally to Victor: I won't mention the Rugby if you don't mention the cricket. At least we got you in the Netball!!!

Posts: 22 | Location: Australia | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comment Steve. You guys were great fun to hunt with and we're thrilled we could make your first African trip a memorable one!

We're all cut up about the netball over here...

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris

One of Us
Picture of Victor Watson
posted Hide Post
Here are some pics of two cull/management hunts we had in August

Victor Watson

Victor Watson
Karoo Wild Safaris