Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Miombo Safaris
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All,

let me just reiterate that I am not trying to cast a dark cloud on Miombo or the Kilombero. I would hunt with Miombo again in the Kilombero.I really enjoyed my hunt there. Miombo is a first class outfit and the hunting was fantastic as well. I shot 2 buff both of which were in the 38"range with solid big bosses. Can't really ask for more than that on a 7 day hunt!!!

For a short hunt at a good price the Kilombero is hard to beat.

Now Bwanamich I'd like to hear your argument on how the scenery is superior in the Kilombero compared to Masailand or the Selous.

Good hunting to you also.

PS.

Do you know Wayne Stanton? I'd recomend him as a PH anytime. I really enjoyed hunting with Wayne.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

.... On the other hand, Miombo has sold out to some Liberians and Scott and Michelle are no longer owners in the company, but have stayed on to manage, so do not know if things will change or not with the new ownership.

It is safe to say that so long as Scott and Michel are there - and there is no reason to doubt they won't be any time soon - nothing will change.

Happy hunting!

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
surestrike,

It is a known fact that the average spread of buffalo taken in Tanzania is around 38" - 39". This is the same whether you are hunting Selous, kilombero, Masaailand, etc. On the basis of this, it is safe to say that if you come hunting in Tanzania, and you see a 38-39 inch buff with solid boss, etc you should take him! I don't dispute the fact that there are places that offer "a better chance" at a 40+ inch then the kilombero. In most cases though, a short 7 or 10 day hunt won't suffice to ensure succes. At least in kilombero you will see 100's of buffalo a day to chose from and find that 40+" bull.

As to your question, I have seen enough to convince me that I would go hunting buffalo there anytime. Off course it is important to state that to me "size is not an issue" with buff. I will shoot 34, 35" buffs all my life so long as they qualify as old Dagga Boys!

If you check the Miombo website gallery for Kilombero, of the 22 buff shown on the one picture with all the buff trophies, I can see quite a few that I would estimate in the 40+" range.

And as one regular poster here often likes to say " a 40" incher is just one inch more per side than a 38". So what is 1 inch?"

Happy hunting!

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote