ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICA HUNTING REPORT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Hunting Reports - Africa    Bull ele/CMS/March 2015/Tabor/Dande east,north,DSA
Page 1 2 

Moderators: T.Carr
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bull ele/CMS/March 2015/Tabor/Dande east,north,DSA
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
To anyone who has enjoyed my hunting and shooting talk on AR along with my companionship,I have a hunt report to share with you.
I will start off by describing my hunting adventure before and after.
I engaged in this about two years ago.
Got in great shape-the best I ever been for a hunt and was well organized.
I flew SAA ate bad cheese the day before but the flight was OK.
I stayed at the same BandB as in 2010 and was glad for that-I recognized the waiter and he seemed happy to see me.
The drive to Dande east went by so fast that it seemed like only minutes.The green scenery was very nice.
Dande east camp was my favorite of all and I was sad to leave there in only 3 days as there where no tracks.
The weather was beautiful.It rained only for about 5 minutes in all the two weeks.It got nice and hot sometimes and I got a nice tan.
I had issues with my rifle's mechanism but do not want to discuss here.
On the third or fourth day we tracked and found a mature bull.We got really close and I was really impressed.It was in the open.I believe one tusk was about 35lbs and the other was broken in half.I thought if we take him I would have time to hunt something else.He had a very big body.Rich turned to me and gave me a weight approx.I gave a thumbs up.Justin said no and no repeatedly.He said that we will find a better one.Rich then turned to me and said that we will leave him.That was the only mature bull over 30lbs we were to see.
We hunted hard every day tracking or driving but mature tracks almost nowhere.
Some days we walked the whole day.One day we walked from 7 in the morning to 6 in the evening with temp going probably above 35C and did not stop for lunch.I seriously thought I might not make it but did and had the chills in the truck when it was over.I was proud that I endured it carrying my rifle the whole time.
Our trackers were named Norest,and Tedious.
Norest made some awesome Chimodho bread that I ate nearly every day.This bread is made from one parts self rising flour,half part corn meal,one teaspoon sugar and quarter teaspoon salt.
We where mocked charged on a couple of occasions and once in a river bed a cow herd went beserk but there was never a scary incident even though we were hunting thick Jess.This I give credit to Rich as he has a good common sense when approaching eles and that he avoids putting the group in an position where an ele feels extremely threatened.
It was nice to be in the villages and farms with the locals.
Food was plentiful at camp and on the trail.It was a pleasure to be in camp with Chook-the Pedza camp manager.
Had a quick dinner with Myles my last night.
I enjoyed the lounge at the SA airport on the way out.
Ele hunting was something special but I am not sure I will do it again probably because of the high cost.I would like to hunt buff again-I dont know where or when.
That was a general descpription of events.
The best moment was when we tracked a bull for 2 or 3 days and finally caught him.Rich started running with me by his side as the bull walked up a small woody hill.We were only 20 yards away undetected as the bull turned around and we saw his tusks were in the 20's or really small for his large body.
We also came close to bagging a very big Zebra but as we got into position and about to shoot a yearling detected us and they all made off.
Pictures to follow.
[URL= ]1[/URL]
[URL= ]4[/URL]
[URL= ]5[/URL]
[URL= ]6[/URL][URL= ]7[/URL]
[URL= ]8[/URL]
[URL= ]9[/URL]
[URL= ]10[/URL]
[URL= ]11[/URL]
[URL= ]12[/URL]
[URL= ]13[/URL]
[URL= ]14[/URL]
[URL= ]50yds offhand open sights[/URL]
[URL= ]J and B scotch had two bottles + with Rich[/URL]
[URL= ]15[/URL]
[URL= ]16[/URL]
[URL= ]17[/URL]
[URL= ]18[/URL]
[URL= ]19[/URL]
[URL= ]20[/URL]
[URL= ]21[/URL]
[URL= ]22[/URL]
[URL= ]23[/URL]
[URL= ]24[/URL]
[URL= ]25[/URL]
[URL= ]26[/URL]
[URL= ]27[/URL]
[URL= ]28[/URL]
[URL= ]29[/URL]
[URL= ]30[/URL]
[URL= ]31[/URL]
[URL= ]32[/URL]
[URL= ]33[/URL]
[URL= ]34[/URL]
[URL= ]senior game ranger-nice fellow too[/URL]
[URL= ]34[/URL]
[URL= ]35[/URL]
[URL= ]36[/URL]
[URL= ]37[/URL]
[URL= ]38[/URL]
[URL= ]39[/URL]
[URL= ]40[/URL]
[URL= ]41[/URL]
[URL= ]42[/URL]
[URL= ]43[/URL]
[URL= ]44[/URL]
[URL= ]45[/URL]
[URL= ]46[/URL]
[URL= ]47[/URL]
[URL= ]48[/URL]
[URL= ]49[/URL]
[URL= ]50[/URL]
[URL= ]51[/URL]
[URL= ]52[/URL]
[URL= ]53[/URL]
[URL= ]54[/URL]
[URL= ]55[/URL]
[URL= ]56[/URL]
[URL= ]57[/URL]
[URL= ]58[/URL]
[URL= ]59[/URL]
[URL= ]60[/URL]
[URL= ]61[/URL]
[URL= ]62[/URL]
[URL= ]63[/URL]
[URL= ]64[/URL]
[URL= ]65[/URL]
[URL= ]66[/URL]
[URL= ]67[/URL]
[URL= ]68[/URL]
[URL= ]69[/URL]
[URL= ]70[/URL]
[URL= ]71[/URL]
[URL= ]72[/URL]
[URL= ]73[/URL]
[URL= ]74[/URL]
[URL= ]75[/URL]
[URL= ]young bull[/URL]
[URL= ]herd[/URL]
[URL= ]77[/URL]
[URL= ]broken tusk found[/URL]
[URL= ]78[/URL]
[URL= ]79[/URL]
[URL= ]80[/URL]
[URL= ]81[/URL]
[URL= ]82[/URL]
[URL= ]83[/URL]
[URL= ]84[/URL]
[URL= ]85[/URL]
[URL= ]86[/URL]
[URL= ]87[/URL]
[URL= ]88[/URL]
[URL= ]89[/URL]
[URL= ]90[/URL]
[URL= ]91[/URL]
[URL= ]92[/URL]
[URL= ]93[/URL]
[URL= ]94[/URL]
[URL= ]Chimodho[/URL]
[URL= ]tobacco[/URL]
[URL= ]baobab fruit snack[/URL]
[URL= ]brief generator issue[/URL]
[URL= ]breakfast to remember[/URL]
[URL= ]94[/URL]
[URL= ]95[/URL]
[URL= ]farmers gift-cucumber[/URL]
[URL= ]pumkin[/URL]
[URL= ]wild fig tree[/URL]
[URL= ]poacher[/URL]
[URL= ]97[/URL]
[URL= ]bananas-surprised they dont taste as well as ours[/URL]
[URL= ]B and B[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pictures and story. Sorry no tail to hold at the end. Thanks for sharing.

Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to see Tabor and T Snake doing well. Buzz as always is buzzing along. Strange looking Jines like appearance. Richie's hair does seen to be migrating south. just sayin...

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi George!

I am very sorry that you did not get your ele! I think it will be a hard year for elephant in the Valley! As mentioned in email if you can come back this year we would be very happy!

Rich and Justin certainly enjoyed the hunt and said that you all worked your tails off and you certainly could not have done anything else- sometimes it just does not work out through no lack of effort of everyone involved!!

Posts: 1128 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 22 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shootaway;

Fantastic pics! At least you were in Africa, while the rest of us were not! Sorry no ele! Always a next time.

Best regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
George,

Thanks for the report. As many will say, that's why they call it hunting. Never a guarantee. You worked hard and enjoys the thick green beauty of Africa at a time of year not many see, well done.

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7601 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where are the eles?

Spread out due to time of year?

Did you see a lot of cow herds/sign?

Please tell me they have not all been poached.

Nice pics!

Posts: 1873 | Location: St. Charles, MO | Registered: 02 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed the pics and report. Bigger and better tusk to come when you hold off. I see Rich, Snake and Buzz are all out and about.

Did Jines give you a hard Time?

Posts: 1799 | Location: Sinton, Texas | Registered: 08 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To-the-point report and nice set of pix. That was a hunt.

Regards

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
George, sorry you did not connect on your ele bull. I did enjoy your pictures and sounds like you and Rich worked damn hard. Having been there the two weeks before you, we likewise struggled for good bull tracks to follow. Perhaps it was too early, the crops were not yet fully ripe, the rains . . . who knows. Thanks for sharing your report.

Mike

Posts: 21332 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sure enjoyed the scotch especially after being out walking in the sun all day breathing that fresh air.Rich would pour me a couple and when he got tired would just fill the glass.I remember sitting at the dinner table and when I turned around to get up and fill my plate,the room started spinning but it felt great as I stood up in my bare feet...never a hangover and the first to get up in the morning...that is what hunting Africa does!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent pictures and report. Sorry you did not connect with a bull. Still seems like a damn fine hunt and adventure.

Very impressed with the pictures.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine hunt and great pictures. You worked your keisters off, sorry there was no bull at the end of the rainbow for you, but it sounds like you had some great approaches. Getting to spend time in their presence is a reward in itself.
I hear you on cost, but consider a tuskless hunt. You can hunt two of them for less than the cost of a bull, and you can really mix it up with them.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay I want to know what was going on with your rifle. Is it ok to ask?

Regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Too bad you did not get your elephant. But what a great experience, not many people can say they hunted elephant in February/March.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos. I really liked seeing familiar places so green and with water in the creeks.

I have had to put off my trip this year unfortunately and seeing all these photos as well as Buzz, Rich and Justin does not help with the withdrawal symptoms!

Posts: 82 | Location: Australia | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
Okay I want to know what was going on with your rifle. Is it ok to ask?

Regards, D. Nelson

LINK

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7601 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done George. A tough hunt but a unique adventure!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7538 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
The pictures are excellent George, you captured the spirit of the hunt from start to finish.

I like the picts of the Valley from the lookout, this is when I begin to really get excited!

One of my best elephant HUNTS was one where I did not shoot an elephant. We hunted hard every day for 12 days as I recall, you can't win them all, but there is satisfication in knowing that you gave your best.

As far as not shooting that bull early in the hunt, I like the call as at that time you had many days and had you shot you would have been wondering what you passed up. And you would not have had the privlidge of hunting elephant for all those remaining days.

Congratulations to you, Rich, and his team on a good hunt!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buzz Charlton:
Hi George!

I am very sorry that you did not get your ele! I think it will be a hard year for elephant in the Valley! As mentioned in email if you can come back this year we would be very happy!

Rich and Justin certainly enjoyed the hunt and said that you all worked your tails off and you certainly could not have done anything else- sometimes it just does not work out through no lack of effort of everyone involved!!

Buzz, out of curiosity, why do you think it will be a tough year for ele in the valley? I know the age structure has been a concern.

One of Us
Picture of r_p_narramore
posted Hide Post
Awesome pics.

Posts: 53 | Location: Eastern KY | Registered: 14 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks like a great photographic safari. Hope you have better luck on your next adventure!

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear you didn't get your elephant, but sounds like you all put in the miles, time and effort, which is all you can ask for. Sometimes the hunting "Gods" have to play their part too. Nice photos.

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting. It's too bad you didn't take a bull, but from the story your pictures tell, it was a real elephant hunt. I don't think you'll ever regret not shooting that bull.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
great report
George.

It sounds like you had a great time even not getting your ele.

A true sportsman!
Shane

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Having been on a "no bulls" elephant hunt myself, I can certainly sympathize with you there!

Sounds like you and your party did all you could, and despite it all, you had fun with a good attitude.

Just keep on and good things will come of it, but heck, you've done something very few have done.

Posts: 10727 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing George.

Yes...to bad with no elephants but thats hunting Sometimes. No garanti.

Very very good pictures. Did you not get to shoot some plainsgame then for he pot?.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing. Great pics. Better luck next time.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11011 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed the report and the stories. Thanks for sharing. I hope you get to go back and try them again. When and if you do the success will taste even sweeter.

Posts: 147 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 December 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of juanpozzi
posted Hide Post
Very interesting photos ,i wish i have you as a client when we didnt get a trophy . Wink

www.huntinginargentina.com.ar FULL PROFESSIONAL MEMBER OF IPHA INTERNATIONAL PROFESSIONAL HUNTERS ASOCIATION .
DSC PROFESSIONAL MEMBER
DRSS--SCI
NRA
IDPA
IPSC-FAT -argentine shooting federation cred number2-

Posts: 6364 | Location: Cordoba argentina | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buzz it would seem as though Zambia has a hand in the poaching and nothing is being done in Zambia because they are unaware of this of they don't have the resources to stop this??

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Well done Shootaway and good to see another supporting the lads in Zim. You took your chances and better luck next time.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9879 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GroundsKpr
posted Hide Post
Excellent hunt report and one of the best photo journals I've seen on AR

They say the older you get the wiser you get---Trust me it's easier to get older.

Posts: 65 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 21 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very well done. Your photographs are excellent. Although you didn't get the elephant trophy you surely had an enriching experience and embraced the essence of the hunt.

Tim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will be back.Next report will have an ele bull in it.Thanks everyone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done, sir!! You will catch him next time! The East certainly was wet and lush for you.
Great report. Thanks.

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Great report George. Really cool pics

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great photos

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures.

Pictures of camp and daily life on safari (or any hunt for that matter) are so enjoyable and bring back memories of the hunt in some ways even better than the standard trophy shots. Because what you see and impresses you most is the most personal aspect of a hunt. The umpteenth pic of some sunburnt, dirty sweaty dude behind a zebra? Not so much.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3101 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fabulous pictures George, I can smell the place just by looking at them. It makes me homesick !!

Posts: 559 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote