Find
Notify
Tools

Quantico Open Range
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
On the 21st of August, the 1000 Yd range at Quantico will be open (and I think manned).

This is through the 50 Cal shooters association http://www.fcsa.org There was going to be a match but it's been changed to October. The open range day is still planned, for now.

Write me at ww111@yahoo.com

Quantico Marine Corp Base is about 25 mile south of Washington DC. I-95 runs thru the middle of it.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Looks like it will open at noon and close around 1600 Hrs. For the ex-marines here, that's when Micky's big hand is pointing up and his little hand is on the 4 and you've already had lunch!

Big Grin

Collins

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
We FORMER Jarhaids understand noon and eight bells too! And chow!

How're the matches and access to ranges going lately at the Crossroads of the Corps? I've heard the highpower there has swirled down the plumbing in recent years.

Redial

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redial:
We FORMER Jarhaids understand noon and eight bells too! And chow!

How're the matches and access to ranges going lately at the Crossroads of the Corps? I've heard the highpower there has swirled down the plumbing in recent years.

Redial

The good shooters are deployed for the most part. I did some video at FPED (the Forces Protection Equipment show) Two years ago those guys would "Dot the "I"" not last May...

Collins

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
The open range day at MCB Quantico is still on, but I'm not going to make it... I'll be out playing at Watkins Glen with my second wife...

2 days of "Racing" (track time) and only 3 hours to get there beat 12 hours of driving for 4 hours of shooting... (not always but I'll try it this time)

Collins

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
While attending the FBI Academy at Quantico I had the pleasure of watching the Marines compete in the long range matches. I also got to tour their gunsmithing facility where they make all their trick weapons. Between the Marines and the FBI, they have all the cool toys. I can understand why the national deficeit is as big as it is. ;-)

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
We do have the Tonopah test range, an annex of Nellis NV, about the size of... ummmm FRANCE! (I think) and then there's always Vieques Island. We're also operating a range in South West Asia that spans the area from Syria's Western border to Iraq'a eastern border... you understand...

hijack

Collins

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
Looks like it will open at noon and close around 1600 Hrs. For the ex-marines here, that's when Micky's big hand is pointing up and his little hand is on the 4 and you've already had lunch!

Big Grin

That is a Marine range, so I believe that the time is 1600. I understand that dogfaces think that there are twenty-four hundred hours in a day, which facility with math probably explains their inflated body counts. I could comment on the Air Forces's way of telling time, too, I suppose, but since we're discussing military time, I'll just leave it alone.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know how Sunday is working out to be an open range day. A bunch of us are meeting down there tomorrow, supposed to be able to get out to 1,000. I'm shooting a .50 to test new ammo and get data on it and a 6.5-284 to get my data for an upcoming tactical match.

Ed

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Any info on how this went?

Collins

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Collins,
Yes, it was the hottest day of the year, if not the decade . . .

We started at 100 yards at about 10:45, we all wanted to verify our 100 zero's and a few guys had battle rifles they wanted to shoot.

We moved back to 300, checked our data and shot awhile, then on to 600. Checked our data and shot a little there and then moved to 1,000. Most of the guys bailed out at this point, but about six of us shot till about 5:30, IIRC.

I put my own .50 away after 600, it's a Watson's upper that isn't very accurate, but shot my tactical rifle awhile at 1,000. Shot a few decent groups and verified my data. All set for the Allegany Sniper Challenge this weekend in Seneca Rocks, WV.

I was a little peeved that, after we all swapped pit duty for each other all day, and after pulling pit duty at 600 for everyone else, no one wanted to pit for us at 1,000,where it was finally and actually needed.

The range was also open this past weekend, 9/3, but job commitments required me to pass. My buddy went and they started at 1k this time, then moved up throughout the day.

Ed

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote