Notify
Tools

hs 50 any good????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
steyr-mannlicher is making a real nice 50 bmg

http://www.steyr-mannlicher.com/index.php?id=651

how good is this rifle a local gun shop has one and im very interested in picking it up.

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't know, but it does seem to be giving the U.S. govt. military some thoughts since they're selling a bunch of them to iran

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lol i read that on google from what iv been reading they can hold there owen right up there with the top bench rest rifles.

holding a few moa at 1000 yards with preimium ammo.

the gun will be used 99% of the time for target but every onece and while i might bring it ground hog hunting.

i see no use for the rifle on deer..bear...moose. thats why i have sporting rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like mine...shoots great Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
what scopes are you guys useing on your rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
right now I have a springfield 4-14 on it but I am saving for a Schmidt & Bender 5-25.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Vari-x III 6.5 x 20 x 50 long range with 1/8 min dot.

Regards Mike

Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses

Posts: 308 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 12 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
I have two Nightforce scopes, both NXS 5.5-22x56mm, one with the NP-R2 reticle, the other with the DD reticle. I will be putting a Nightforce Benchrest series on my BR rifle when it is completed. I have also used my Leupold 8.5-25x40mm Target (no longer made) which performed just fine. The Burris Black Diamond has been used by some .50 shooters with good results, but Nightforce dominates the field at the matches.

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
It's a very fun gun
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7600992109089608558&q=defenshield

I have the Springfield 6-24 x 56 (I think those numbers are correct?) It works very well. I'll be putting a NF or a S&B on it eventually.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks alot guys for the imput........what bullets and or ammo are you folk also using.

any one here using the 750 and 800 grain barns solids.......or 750 hornady a max.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I'm using the pulled AP rounds and (OLD!) LC brass right now until I get a good technique down. I have 5 boxes of the A-max's ready to go. I'm just fireforming the brass and getting some "seat-time" right now. loads of fun, great gun.

Collins

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Holding its own with Bench rest rifles? What are you smoking? I've seen and shot one. 2 MOA gun at best. Not Competative at all. expect 15-24 inches at 1000 yrs. Don't believe the hype, post the pics of the groups ( not one but 5).-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Robgunbuilder:
Holding its own with Bench rest rifles? What are you smoking? I've seen and shot one. 2 MOA gun at best. Not Competative at all. expect 15-24 inches at 1000 yrs. Don't believe the hype, post the pics of the groups ( not one but 5).-Rob

Maybe it's the shooter... I own an HS-50 and it's a sub-moa gun out of that big wooden box it's in. I'll post group pics as soon as I save one, but they're so common, it'll only be for your gratification. The best part so far is the first shot of the day is right on target. The fouling shot knocks out the "X" the same as shot 2, 3, 4...

Collins

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Post pics please at 1000yrds. Preferably verified. Not 100. Believe it when I see it. Consistent sub MOA .50BMG,s are few and far between. We have all been lucky from time to time. The Steyr isn't one of them.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Next 1000 Yd. match for me is in Quantico next spring...

Of course that's a huge can of worms you're opening. At 100 Yards the accuraccy / precicion is about 95% gun. At 1000 yards it's about 25% gun. I will guarentee the HS-50 is a MOA gun, I can't make the same claim for myself.

100 Yards, TOF about 0.1 sec, 1000 Yards > 1 full second, a lot more variables involved

Collins

one of us
posted Hide Post
im not really worryed about shooting at 1000 yards really....im more interested in shooting rocks at 500-600 tops.....or ground hogs.