New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bushmaster BA50
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anybody got one? I know they're fairly new. I just picked one up a couple of days ago and mounted a Leupold Mk4 6.5x20-50 on it and I'm just itching to shoot it. I've searched the net looking for info but it just isn't there. It's got a 30" barrel, aluminum upper and lower with a magpul adj stock. It also comes with a bi-pod, 2-10 round mags and hard case. It looks to be fairly well built around the AR platform and I like the fact that it's a left hand bolt. Right now I've only got some crappy indoor pictures but I'm hoping to shoot it tomorrow and take some decent pictures if the rain hold out.

Posts: 207 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 11 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nobody??

I finally got to the range Sunday to fire off a few rounds and I was pleasantly surprised. I started out at the 200yd range since no one was there and really didn't want to be distracted. I removed the bolt and gave it another bore sighting just to be sure I'd even hit paper at that distance and it looked good. I had 4 of those 8" shoot-n-see's stapled to my target so I could see the hits and looking down the bore at a 16" square looked mighty small.
I carefully aimed at the top right hand target and the first two shots were 2 1/2" high and 1/2" left. Not bad for bore sighting. What's even better was they were 5/8" center to center. I popped off 10 round at the other targets adjusting the turrets and can't complain about the accuracy since I was using 690gr ball reloads. The recoil is comparable to a .243 and if you hold it tightly you won't loose sight of the target.
The only real complaint I have is the length of the trigger pull although it's smooth with no overtravel. I didn't have any problems otherwise.

Here's a picture of the gun in question.

Comments?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good looking rig thumb

Looks like a Magpul rear stock too. Nice piece!

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I want a 50 BMG now! How much did that rig cost minus accessories? A Sub-moa semi-auto 50 BMG could be something to behold!

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only accessories are the rings and scope, it comes with everything else. My dealer was able to get it to me for $3,999.99 but I haven't seen it that cheap anywhere else.

It's actually not a semi, but the next best thing and the gun comes with too many accessories and advantages not to be considered.

You can read about it here http://www.bushmaster.com/

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Oh, I should have read your post, it stated bolt action. They're available in right hand I presume?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually this is the right hand version. They're designed so you don't have to remove your grip/trigger hand. It's much easier to manipulate than you would imagine and can be operated very fast with the left hand.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very neat looking rifle !

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3316 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the length of the barrel?

Don Stewart
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The barrel on my gun is 30". They also make an identical carbine model with a 22" barrel.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DEC:
The barrel on my gun is 30". They also make an identical carbine model with a 22" barrel.

BOOOM FLAAAAASSSSSHHHHHH

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How does a 30" barrel compare to a 36" barrel for recoil? Is the higher muzzle pressure from a shorter barrel more effective in reducing recoil, assuming that both have a good muzzle brake? I want to build a bench gun, but don't know what finish length to use.

Don Stewart
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 238 | Location: Memphis on the mighty Mississippi | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strawboss
I can't answer your question about barrel length and recoil but for a bench gun I'd opt for the 36" barrel. I think the guns weight coupled with an effective muzzle brake will do more for recoil than barrel length. I would recommend the AR50 style muzzle brake since it's the most effective one going that I know of. My gun weighs in at 30lbs unloaded and uses that brake and the recoil is fairly mild. If you intend to shoot competition the weight of the rifle will dictate which category you can shoot in. As it is, IIRC 32lbs is the limit for light class so I'm able to shoot in all classes. I may not be able to compete with the big boys but I can still play along Wink

One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strawboss:
How does a 30" barrel compare to a 36" barrel for recoil? Is the higher muzzle pressure from a shorter barrel more effective in reducing recoil, assuming that both have a good muzzle brake? I want to build a bench gun, but don't know what finish length to use.

The consideration(s) for barrel length for a bench gun is not recoil reduction. The most commonly used brake on .50 BMG bench rifles, the clamshell type brake, is so very efficient at recoil reduction, the issue of recoil is not even on the table.

The length of the barrel on a .50 BMG Bench rifle is usually determined by what the optimum length would be to propel an 800 grain projectile between 2650fps-2700fps vs. making weight for class.

800 grain projectiles, usually borerider type solids, currently dominate the matches. You need to use a slow powder to make that velocity with 800 grains, such as vv20n29. You need enough barrel length to burn that slow powder. Too long of a barrel, your rifle can very easily be too heavy. Also, the longer the barrel, the more the barrel will oscillate, or "whip" which each shot. To negate the whip, the barrel needs to be a larger diameter, making the rifle even heavier.

The best length for a benchrest .50 BMG rifle is 32". Do you intend to have it built or do it yourself? If you intend to have someone build it, I would suggest giving Randy Dierks at Action Gun Works a call. I'll be sending randy my action for a build in January. It's about time, I've had it in my safe almost 4 years.

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goneballistic:
quote:
Originally posted by Strawboss:

The consideration(s) for barrel length for a bench gun is not recoil reduction. The most commonly used brake on .50 BMG bench rifles, the clamshell type brake, is so very efficient at recoil reduction, the issue of recoil is not even on the table.

The length of the barrel on a .50 BMG Bench rifle is usually determined by what the optimum length would be to propel an 800 grain projectile between 2650fps-2700fps vs. making weight for class.

800 grain projectiles, usually borerider type solids, currently dominate the matches. You need to use a slow powder to make that velocity with 800 grains, such as vv20n29. You need enough barrel length to burn that slow powder. Too long of a barrel, your rifle can very easily be too heavy. Also, the longer the barrel, the more the barrel will oscillate, or "whip" which each shot. To negate the whip, the barrel needs to be a larger diameter, making the rifle even heavier.

The best length for a benchrest .50 BMG rifle barrel is 32". Do you intend to have it built or do it yourself? If you intend to have someone build it, I would suggest giving Randy Dierks at Action Gun Works a call. I'll be sending randy my action for a build in January. It's about time, I've had it in my safe almost 4 years.

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DEC:
Anybody got one? I know they're fairly new. I just picked one up a couple of days ago and mounted a Leupold Mk4 6.5x20-50 on it and I'm just itching to shoot it. I've searched the net looking for info but it just isn't there. It's got a 30" barrel, aluminum upper and lower with a magpul adj stock. It also comes with a bi-pod, 2-10 round mags and hard case. It looks to be fairly well built around the AR platform and I like the fact that it's a left hand bolt. Right now I've only got some crappy indoor pictures but I'm hoping to shoot it tomorrow and take some decent pictures if the rain hold out.

DEC--- are you still happy with this rifle?--I am thinking strongly about acquiring one -- I am totally novice to the 50BMG thing but this looks like a good one to start with -- would like the Barret semi auto but that is a YIKES on the $.
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I'm still very happy with the rifle.

I only have one complaint and it's the trigger. Although it's relatively smooth its pull is long and heavy. Heavy I can live with but the pull is more than I like. I've called Bushmaster and they say their engineers have it on their plate but it's not at the top of the list. It's also a proprietary trigger and no one makes an aftermarket one yet. I've looked it over and know how I can modify it without grinding and stoning to lessen the pull but it's too damn hard and it can't be drilled for a set screw. They also understand it's a problem for us civilians but they had to make it to pass mil-specs, first. Don't get me wrong, for standard 50's it's on par with the rest if not a cut above, but for 1000yd competition it needs work, the trigger that is.

One other note, the case could have been a few inches longer. You can't mount a scope and put it back in the case.

One of Us
Picture of Acrnstlkr
posted Hide Post
I dont have a .50 but i wish i did of course.
just wondered if you lucky ppl that have one ever tried out one of these scopes and if they were as good as they claim? https://www.barrettrifles.com/...-leupold-mark-4.aspx

Freedom is not Free! So thank your Military!

Posts: 41 | Location: Chester IA. | Registered: 01 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thats a 30" Barrel and one of the GenIII muzzlebreaks. They were developed to use M33 velocity ammo and actually curl up at the edges . Somewhere I have a picture of one being fires over a poncho covered with marking talc. It was dirty but the pics were pretty cool.

It is only available with left hand bolt. You could adjust the headspace onthe orifinal guns withthe locking collars but I don't know if BM kept that feature.

The gun will shoot and shoot better than most of us. Oil drums at 1800 were usually pretty ease once you learned to use the calculations.

Posts: 16 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted Hide Post
I just purchased the same rifle. Where do you get the calculations for bullet drop, etc. I assume there is a .50 reloading manual available...

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Fifty Caliber Shooters Association (http://fcsa.org/wwwroot/) Join them (I did) they are a bit smaller than SCI but there is a wealth of info online and in most of the reloading manuals now. You're going to have to get used to using one pound of powder to make 24 bullets! And if you're one of the first at your range with a BMG there will be a lot of folks from 15 to 80 looking at you with big eyes asking "Can I shoot your gun mister" You'll find that it's a great way to make friends for life while fire forming brass to your gun. Enjoy

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote