Notify
Tools

SLAPped...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
Wellllll.....
to take the brake off or not is a question easily answered through experience. Or, sometimes your mission in life may just be to serve as a warning to others...

I was lucky enough to hook up with a Winchester rep at an Army show last year and after many moons of waiting list time we received an allotment of real Winchester SLAP Ammo. Headstamp is WCC04. Penetrator is 360 Grains of Tungsten (file won't scratch it) 0.303" dia 1.459" long. Powder charge is 290 Grains of some flattened spherical. Advertised velocity is 4000 FPS

So I need to shoot this at some armor, 3 pieces of 3/8 about 500 BHN with about 6" air gap between.

I took the brake off and sighted in and this happened.

Send flowers to... Roll Eyes

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ouch... hope the scope is OK homer

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I haven't shot it again yet, but It looked OK once I got it cleaned up. it didn't even slip in the rings. (unless it slipped on firing and my face pushed it back into place Razzer )

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would not be shooting any more of the Slap T ammo if I was you. I've shot a bunch of it before, but I was using a sub-bore training device on a M1 tank. Can't go too much into detail about the ballistics, but I can tell you the actions and barrels we were using was something you did not want to carry from the truck to the range.
Better safe then sorry. I'd hang on to them as they are probably an oddity on the civilian market.

Regards,
BB

Posts: 12 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like forehead after creeping up and down the stock for light for a white tail shot on straight tube redfield early in the morning on my 350 rem mag. i saw the out line of the deer, then everything went white and my face was wet. the deer didn't go anywhere but down as far as i could tell. with any luck, the scar will take hold and you will have a conversation piece. ring rash.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not even try to do without brake on a .50, I still have vivid memories of a scoped .460 Weatherby when I was young.

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote