THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM 50 CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  50 Caliber BMG Forum    Trying to decide between LAR and Armalite AR-50.

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trying to decide between LAR and Armalite AR-50.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Going to get my first .50BMG. Benefite? pitfalls? of each.

Posts: 186 | Location: High in the Rockies | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that I need to stay under $3000.00 for whichever one I go with. I can do that with the LAR WITH a scope.

Posts: 186 | Location: High in the Rockies | Registered: 29 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had an lar for several years and it was a good rifle with no problems, but then i sold it and bought the state arms big bertha. it weighs about 10#'s more and comes with a huge wood stock that makes the whole thing much more comfortable to shoot than the lar was. pricetag is similar, only thing is it is big

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it easy to get used to the LAR bolt?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the bolt on the lar is about the same as the rest of the singleshots, it's just a big shellholder. you remove it and slide the rim of the round into the holder and then put the whole works back in. it did take a bit of time to get used to the bullpup design. somehow having that big round go off next to you head just never was perfectly comfortable

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took the plunge! My new LAR will be in Tuesday along with a new Leupold Mark 4 LR. I am pretty excited!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an LAR. I wish I had bought a Barrett or AR50 instead. While the LAR is nice and short, the muzzle brake is small and reoil is much more than the AR50. I have not been able to do better than ten inch groups at 500 yards with match ammo either.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Update.
With Barnes 800gr. borerider over IMR 5010 gave an 8.03" group at 1,000yds. Great shooter!

posted Hide Post
I love my AR50. With a mono pod attached you can sight the target, stand up , pull the trigger, and watch the bullet impact. Really cool when your shooting hard targets and using spotter tracers or blue tip ammo.It is that rock solid !
Curt

Posts: 1 | Location: Kokomo,Indiana USA | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had an AR 50 and it was a great rifle. I mounted a Night Force scope on the beast and it was very accurate and a pleasure to shoot. Great gun for the money!!

Posts: 104 | Location: Chile | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
I've had my AR-50 since they first came out. They are a fantastic rifle with the only "complaint," if you can call it that, is the trigger is a bit heavy. You can use any Remington 700 trigger to get a better pull and then it is just about perfect IMO. Mine is a 1/2 MOA rifle with match loads out to 500 yards which is the longest I have shot.

Join the N.R.A.
Beware speaking with a sharp tongue, as you are apt to cut your own throat.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How does the steyr HS-50 compare to the AR-50 ?? is it a shellholder design ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote