Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primers
 Login/Join

posted
Just getting into this game can anyone tell me anything about CCI and RWS primers? Is one more desirable then the other when reloading the 50 BMG.

TY

Posts: 17 | Location: Canuck | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you like Fords or Chevys? That is the type of question you asked. Some like CCI and hate RWS, some the other way. You have to try them for your self and see which you like.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of anybody hating RWS primers. Or, the CCI 35s, for that matter. The RWS are usually prefered by match shooters, mostly because of their brisance, which is somewhat lower than that of the CCI primers. This affects the duration of ignition and reportedly gives more consistent velocities/pressures. The RWS are more expensive and hard to find. Last I heard, their importer stopped importing them.

For standard calibers, I really don't like CCI primers. But, I've had good results with the CCI 35 primer. They don't readily show high pressure indications though, thick primer cup. The older blue boxed CCI 35 primers should be avoided!!! The blue box primers I've used were OK,but later lots had problems. The primer cups were not annealed properly and had stress cracks. There were several incidents where chamber gasses were released, a few bolts were ruined. You should only get the newer CCI 35 ARSENAL primers, in the white box. Too bad, I'm getting ready to buy a 1000 and a local dealer only has the blue box primers in stock.

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
goneballistic

Thanks!I have access to both RWS and CCI allthough the RWS is twice as much for 500.
A person here in Can told me that RWS will do. I did not get a chance to ask him what he means by this so here I am looking for input. Thanks again.

TY

Posts: 17 | Location: Canuck | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
The older blue boxed CCI 35 primers should be avoided!!! The blue box primers I've used were OK,but later lots had problems. The primer cups were not annealed properly and had stress cracks. There were several incidents where chamber gasses were released, a few bolts were ruined. You should only get the newer CCI 35 ARSENAL primers, in the white box. Too bad, I'm getting ready to buy a 1000 and a local dealer only has the blue box primers in stock.

Didn't this get fixed while they were still using the blue box? Wasn't it just certain, albeit many, lots? I have 1K of the blue and 500 white, and it's real cheap insurance just to throw out the blue, or use them to fire form. but if I can use them, I will.

Many thanks

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of goneballistic
posted Hide Post
Correct, it was only certain lots. Notice this ad for the "JUST RECEIVED!! THESE ARE THE NEW AND IMPROVED #320 CCI # 35 50 BMG PRIMER. " Evidently the blue boxed primers have been redone.

If you've had good results with yours, chances are they are not from the bad lots. To be sure, look them over with a magnifying glass. The bad primers will show stress cracks on the sides of the cup. I called my local dealer today. His are the same stock of blue box primers that I bought from him 3 years or so ago, so I just made the decision to get more of them. I had no problems with this lot of primers and my load workups are all done using them. Time to start gearing up for the June match in Quantico. Smiler

"The irony is, if you're willing to kill a perpetrator, you probably won't have to."

Massad Ayoob

Posts: 111 | Location: West Central Florida | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote