New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bower's Rest
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked one up, second hand. It looks like the forend is set-up for standard Super 14 barrels. My question is how is one supposed to use it with aftermarket barrels without removing the hanger bars?

Isn't there someone making custom wood that is also designed to work with these rests?

Posts: 177 | Location: SW Florida | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sean VHA #60013
posted Hide Post
Greetings! Concerning the Bower forends, my understanding is that they are not designed by Don to be used with hanger bars attached to the barrels.

For this, you would have to go to VVCG or other folk who do use hanger bar systems, and have a forend designed that would use the hanger bar AND be suitable for use with the Bower system.

Given the way the bower system works, it may not be that big of an advantage to have a hanger bar attached, as I am guessing recoil and friction from the movement of the forarm/rest might put undo stress upon the screws which attach through the forend to the hanger bar itself [which in turn is attacked to the dovetail locks by two more hex head screws] with the heavier recoiling calibers, at least in theory this could be a potential problem.

Most VVCG or Bullberry hanger bar forends are attached to the bar with only one screw, and so you would have to use at LEAST two (I have one forend made by VVCG where I specified this) if not three for such a purpose, and then there is the issue of "when does the ever increasing size of the bar begin to produce the negetive effect of diminishing returns?" This may or may not even be a factor, but such things are best tested [maybe this is your calling! [Big Grin] ]

My two screw forend with much more massive bar thus far slightly out performs my pillar bedded and single screw VVCG forends, but it is not subjected to the kind of recoil and movement that the Bower system seems to have.

Perhaps Mike Bellm would speak more experientially to this?

I do not have a Bower rest, so I am just speculating at this point.

Posts: 830 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Quarter Miler>
posted
There is no need for the hanger-bar to be used with the rest system.
Sean is correct, if you want to use the hanger-bar, you will have to have a forend grooved for it. In return the forend will have to be thicker I assume. I do not use or have not seen one up close. Don does design the wood but it is built by someone else.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand what you guys are saying as I observed these things to be true. I bought the rest upon reputation and the few pictures I have seen, expecting to be able to use every barrel (read many)I own with it.Upon it's arrival, my first thoughts were hooow am I gonna use this with my 10" and VV barrels. I guess I can use my flat bottomed bench rest style Virgin Valley forend, but that sand paper like surface is gonna tear up expensive wood. I guess I can flatten the bottom of a standard 10" barrel forend for the other barrels.

Doesn't Don Bower shoot anything other than standard Super 14 barrels?

Posts: 177 | Location: SW Florida | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote