New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bipod for TC?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What bipod do you guys use on your Contender pistols? Someone used to make one that slipped on the barrel. Is there a bipod like that still around?
Your help will be most appreciated.

Born Ready

[ 11-04-2002, 23:12: Message edited by: born ready ]

Posts: 50 | Location: SoCal | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good day
I use a Harris bi-pod on mine. I've hunted antelope with it since 1986 when I made my first trip to the USA for hunting. It's great on my 7mmTCU that I've been using. I used it this fall on my 375JDJ for Mule deer even though JD doen't recoment it because he says you might pull the forend studs out of the barrel. I chanced it and it worked great. I found the recoil different though, yhe muzzle lift was tremedous bu verry easily controlled. The first shot catches you off guard but after that it's a deadly setup.
Mike

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Born ready,

You probably don't want to attach anything to the barrel like a bipod, doing so will most likely screw up your accuracy. You want a forearm mounted bipod. Harris probably makes the most affordable and readily available bipods on the market. If you're nervous about pulling the stud out of the forend, you can sink a threaded plate (10X32 thread) into the barrel channel for the stud to screw into, that will end that concern. Get the Harris Bipod that pivots.

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
G. Malborg,
One question regarding your comment, "If you're nervous about pulling the stud out of the forend, you can sink a threaded plate (10X32 thread) into the barrel channel for the stud to screw into, that will end that concern. " Is this applicable to the Pachymar forend as well? Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
Gary T.

It has been a while since I've seen the Pachmayr forend, but I believe the Pachmayr forearm will allow you to either hog out material in the barrel channel, or if it's open and hollow, allow you access to where you can put a backing plate with a 10X32 hole thru it so an Uncle Mikes machine thread sling stud will screw in to it. You may have to chase the threads of the machine stud all the way to the head if the forend shell is thin, or, use a thicker plate or a piece of bar stock for the backing.

I have used this kind of backing plate in hollow forends of rifle stocks, to reinforce and add strength to the stud, specifically for bipod use and it works excellent.

Malm

posted Hide Post
At one time, SSK (J.D. Jones) made what was called the Portable Bench Rest PBR. Unlike the Harris bipod, the PBR did not change the point of impact on my Contender.

Personally, I use my backpack as a rest because it gets me up above the grass for shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I worded that wrong, JD had told me it might rip the studs out of the barrel and not the forend.
Mike

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with everyone, I utilize the Harris Bipod. But when the grass gets to be to high I like my Shooting Sticks. Works great!

Posts: 71 | Location: Worland, WY | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sean VHA #60013
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by born ready:
What bipod do you guys use on your Contender pistols? Someone used to make one that slipped on the barrel. Is there a bipod like that still around?

Greetings! I use bipods on most of my Contender pistols. On many of my T/C Varmint handgun/riflescope adaptations, I use a free-floated Virgin Valley or Bullberry heavy beavertail handguard with a Harris 6r 6-9" bipod mounted underneath to a sling swivel stud, High magnification target rifle scope, a Bellm oversized hinge pin, and shoot from prone positions with the bipod extended, or from solid rested positions in the field, such as a fence post, stump, the hood of my Jeep etc.

One note of caution: Malm is absolutely correct: the barrel-band mounting ring that Harris sells, which clamps to the barrel, is in my experience a horrible idea and will negatively effect barrel harmonics and accuracy.

Mounting directly to a forend (preferably one which uses a mounting bar or aluminum pillar bedding blocks at the dovetail locks) with a sling swivel stud eliminates these negative problems. I have never has a forend with bipod mounted to adversly effect the dovetail locks on the barrel, but I have never tried using this method on anything above a 14" 30-30 or 14" 44mag (both with 10X Burris or 7X T/C pistol scopes mounted) in recoil. It may well be a factor on higher recoiling calibers.

This is my 22lr Match barrel, with a 10-40x50mm rifle scope, using a VVCG bedding-bar forend and Harris 6r bipod.
 -

[ 11-08-2002, 22:46: Message edited by: Sean VHA #60013 ]

Posts: 830 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote