Find
Notify
Tools

Wyoming Antelope..
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of McClura
posted
Filled my Wyoming Antelope tag Sat. am about 10:00 along the Cont. Divide just below the Bridger Peaks west of Laramie.
Chased some goats around for a couple of hours and found this one with a little group of does. Took him at 225yds with my XP100 260 after crawling about 100 yds.
Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old when you quit playing.

Posts: 311 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
CONGRATS on bagging the 'lope-- and thanks for sharing the photo.

Now how about a brief on load specifics & bullet performance???

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9359 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am glad you enjoyed our great state. Just about every round made from the good old 308 works well. Great shot and nice goat. olefish

Posts: 68 | Location: WY | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Bobby, I shoot the Speer 120grn Hot Core SP with 37.5 grns of Varget. Fed 210 primer.
This loads hits the chrono at 2540fps and I have it zero'd at 200yds. At 225yds where I shot the goat this load is running 2150fps and has 1228 ft/lbs of energy.
I hit the goat on the right side just behind the leg. Double lung and damaged the heart.
6.5 hole on entry and a 1" hole on exit.
The goat weighed 110 fld dressed. He dropped when hit, got up, took two steps sideways and rolled over.
I had tried the Nosler BT's but they just would not give me a consistent 5 shot group compaired to the Speer Hot Cores with flat base. This gun also likes the Sierra Pro Hunters but I was out of them when I loaded for this trip.
I wouldn't hesitate to use this load on whitetail or hogs if I had a chance. Here is the last target I shot before leaving on my hunt. I shot this target, and then went up 8 clicks to get my 2.4" high at 100yds so it would be on at 200yds according to my ballistic calculator.

Mike

You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old when you quit playing.

Posts: 311 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
McClura,
Nice antelope, good picture, wonderful load! Big Grin
One of my fondest hunting memories is of my only antelope hunting trip (Gillette, WY) w/ HHI. RazzerHad a really wonderful time. Had full intentions of having gone multiple times since then, but never "got around to it".... Confused Maybe I'll make it again another time! Gary T.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote