THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT PISTOLS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Pistols    "First Blood" for the 6X50R Bellm--story & pics

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"First Blood" for the 6X50R Bellm--story & pics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,
Well after weeks of frustration, I FINALLY got a deer this year! [Big Grin] This had been the most frustrating season in many years because I just wasn�t seeing any deer�. To make it worse, I had new Contender barrels I wanted to try out in the field. [Roll Eyes] This past Fri PM I decided to carry my new 6X50R Bellm (Contender w/ 14� VVCG barrel chambered by Mike). I was standing up on a hanging tree stand when I saw a doe and a yearling come out 60 yards away, from behind the stand, in the direction I was facing. The doe was in front. She angled north, parallel to the stand, but stopped in thick brush. I got my Contender up and the scope on her, but it was just too thick. She walked further toward a very small opening. When she got to the opening, I made a bleating sound w/ my mouth and she stopped. Unfortunately, she stopped w/ her neck, shoulder, and front chest covered from view by a tree. Even though the Leupold 2.5-8X was on the lowest setting and I was using the side of the tree and my sling for a rest, the crosshairs seemed to wobble a great deal. I tried to get as far up the deer�s chest as I could w/o hitting the tree. At the shot, the doe wheeled (w/ tail up a few steps) and ran back the direction it had come. Two other small deer also ran off. I thought I heard her fall a short distance away, but out of view. The entire event took probably only took 20-30 seconds. Given the time of day and since I feared I may have gotten a little back in the lungs, I decided to immediately go look for the doe. I didn�t find blood where the doe was at the shot or a blood trail. I went southwest, the general direction I thought the deer had run, but found nothing. [Eek!] I got off course some and ended up running into a clear-cut lane to the west. I headed back in the direction I meant to originally go and walked up on her dead. [Smile] She probably traveled about 100-125 yards. There was no blood trail until the last 30 yards. She weighed 105-110#. The shot entered between 7-8th ribs (1/2�X1�), about 2/5 up the chest, and exited between 5-6th ribs (3/4�X 1 ��), taking out both lungs and the bottom portion of the heart. Picture on left is entrance wound while the one on the right is the exit wound. Wasn�t sure what to expect w/ this barrel as it�s the first 6 mm barrel I�ve ever shot. I was pleased w/ the size of the wound, but disappointed w/ the lack of a blood trail. [Confused] Was not surprised the deer traveled that far w/ a heart shot, but I would�ve expected a better blood trail. Although the load (80 gr Sierra SSP/30.0 gr H4895/Fed 205 primer @ mv 2650 fps) did a lot of damage, I�ll probably not continue using this load on evening hunts in thick woods. W/ these conditions, I think I�ll go back to my usual practice of using a larger caliber (6.5-30 cal) to improve my chances of a good blood trail. Anyway, I did get a deer! Now if I can also initiate the 257 JDJ and/or 30 Alaskan Bower, as well! Thanks to MSSMagnun for his help posting the pictures. I�ve not posted pictures before so I hope they come out ok! [Razz] Gary T.
 -
 -

[ 12-17-2002, 08:24: Message edited by: Gary T ]

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
 -

-

not sure why they didnt work....

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, Mike. Sometime if you've got the time, I'd be interested in learning how you post the picture(s) directly. [Confused] That's awfully neat! [Big Grin] Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Gary-
Thanks for posting the details -- and congrats on "blooding" the 6x50R-Bellm barrel!

I have found that the little 6mms seldom leave much of a blood trail, but they are effective nonetheless. I have used a 6mm-.223 (6x45) in one form or another for many years, but I have found myself passing on a few shots. Two weekends ago, on a drawing hunt, I passed on a doe right at dark with my 15" 6x45 VVCG Contender barrel. The range was about 100 yards, and I had a good rest. But had I been using one of my 6.5s or 7mms, I would not have hesitated. Usually, if I have a 6mm along, I use it in the morning only but for some reason or another, I flip-flopped things this time.

That little Sierra SSP bullet really performed well for you. It's may favorite hunting bullet in the 6mm single shots, and I use it on everything from vermin to deer.

Mike: I, too, would like to know how you directly post the photos. You have bailed me out on a number of occasions by posting for me, and your help is always appreciated...

Posts: 9344 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Gary,

What do you mean it didn't work? One good shot. Excellent [Big Grin] hunt, shot and story. I've not had even that much luck.

Best wishes for the holiday and New Year.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Gary, Congratulations!

Sorry it happened so fast the deer didn't know it was dead!

All the best.

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As an after thought, you should be good for a few more fps with the 6mmx50 R Bellm. Should you perhaps "throttle up" a bit more, or are you where you need to be.

Reason I ask is that as I recall, standard 6mmx223 Rem. is good for about 2700 with 80 gr. bullets. I need to look at the 6x50 data again to see what it maxed out at in the longer barrels. Unfortunately, I don't have any 14" data to refer to.

I know opinions will flair up, but my bud in MO uses nothing heavier than 70 gr. bullets in 6mm Contender barrels, and he is shooting larger cases still and from 18" barrels. He isn't interested in blood trails, just deer that drop.

A good combination might be a slightly tougher 70 gr. bullet with more fps going for it. This might give more damage while still exiting.

Does Barnes make a 70 gr. X bullet in 6mm?

Just a thought...

Mike

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I'm personally interested in a 6.5x50R in a carbine barrel (22").

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Bellm:
As an after thought, you should be good for a few more fps with the 6mmx50 R Bellm. Should you perhaps "throttle up" a bit more, or are you where you need to be.

Reason I ask is that as I recall, standard 6mmx223 Rem. is good for about 2700 with 80 gr. bullets. I need to look at the 6x50 data again to see what it maxed out at in the longer barrels. Unfortunately, I don't have any 14" data to refer to.

I know opinions will flair up, but my bud in MO uses nothing heavier than 70 gr. bullets in 6mm Contender barrels, and he is shooting larger cases still and from 18" barrels. He isn't interested in blood trails, just deer that drop.

A good combination might be a slightly tougher 70 gr. bullet with more fps going for it. This might give more damage while still exiting.

Does Barnes make a 70 gr. X bullet in 6mm?

Just a thought...

Mike

Far as I know, they only have a new 72gr.{not an X bullet} The New Varmint Bullet from Barnes features solid dry film lubricating. The new Barnes Burner VLC Varmint Bullet is a copper-Jacketed, lead core hollow point coated with a solid dry film lubricant.
85gr. is the lightest in the X bullet.

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,
Just wanted to address some of your comments/questions.

Bobby, yeah, the bullet performed very well w/ the entrance/exit wounds. From what you've seen, it sounds as if my experience w/ little blood trail is typical for this caliber.

Little blood trail may not be an issue in some situations, but for me it usually is. [Razz] Most of my hunts are in fairly thick woods where the deer may be out of sight if it runs 50 yards, frequently much less. Went back today to the scene of last week's hunt and it looks like the deer traveled closer to 100 yards, maybe less. Blood trails are sure nice to have when it's dark, or getting dark, and you're looking for a deer that ran out of sight after the shot. [Confused] Were I still hunting in SW TX, as I used to, where the land is more open, this caliber would be just fine.

Mike, I bet you're right in that I'll be able to get more fps w/ the 80 gr bullet; don't think I've had enough tiime yet to find a higher velocity load. [Smile] I had problems getting the 80 gr bullets when I started load development so worked w/ the non-big game bullets first. When I did get the 80 gr bullets, I just had time to get a "serviceable" load. My max loads were 3130 fps w/ 55 gr Sierra BK, 2850 fps w/ 70 gr Sierra BK (not a fully developed load), and 2900 fps w/ 75 gr V-Max. There may be some merit to trying the "non-big game bullets" on deer, but I decided to go w/ the 80 Sierra SSP initially due to Bobby's favorable extensive field experience/penetration testing w/ this bullet.

Jules is right--Barnes doensn't make a 70 gr X-Bullet in 6 mm, just 85 and 90 gr.

Bottom line-the bullet/gun appears to have performed quite well, but maybe the shooter (me) needs to exhibit better judgment when choosing a tool for a specific job. [Roll Eyes] I still think this caliber should be the perfect Contender coyote gun. [Wink] Gary T.

one of us
Picture of 1buba
posted Hide Post
That's exactly what I'm looking to use mine on - coyotes. I've got some high rings on the way and then loading / testing starts for real. think I'll stick with the lighter bullets and crank the velocity up to max w/o preasure signs.

Any idea's on the best pelt bullet? For summer time I'll probably go to the v-max's or nosler bt's. :-)

Thanks for the story Gary - AND for the load info.

Steve

Posts: 329 | Location: North Pole, AK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote