Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a S/S pistol from Magnum Research
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Good day
Does anyone out there have a S/S pistol from Magnum Research. I think I have a good deal hapening on one here in Canada. I was wondering if anyone had one and what they thought of it. Also the one I'm looking at is a 308. If you have one what do you think of it and the trigger pull overall.
Does anyone know if SSK does custom barrels for this gun.
Thanks in advance
Mike
mdesrosi@mb.sympatico.ca

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have an MRI Lone Eagle...actually I have 2. I have one in 7mm-08 and another barrel/action in .44 Mag. I got mine through CDNN (cdnninvestments.com) in Texas for $250 and $200 (respectively). They may still have a few left...call to find out.

I like mine. The trigger is a little weird (that's the best I can describe it). It's a little long and a little heavy, but not unmanageable. I have a Rem 870 Slug Gun that is worse, so maybe I'm just biased to accept bad triggers. Adjusting the trigger is fairly difficult (from what I have heard).

The Recoil can get pretty snappy with the 7mm-08 and 140gr. loads, but not unmanageable. I have seen a 30-06 and 444 shot, and it's not pretty! Lots of flash and jump. That said, I like the middle grip position better than a revolver or contender. It handles recoil a little better, I think.

It would be very difficult to do a barrel in this: a) barrels and actions are given a S/N from MRI. b) Unlike the Competitor Pistols, the action is integral with the barrel. c) There probably isn't enough demand for SSK to make a profit on the labor to develop the product.

HTH!
Brett

Posts: 4 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 25 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
The only real problem with the Lone Eagle is that the company that made them is out of business. There is still a lot of them around so you should be able to pick up a second if something breaks. CDNN was selling them dirt cheap. I know this doesnt do you much good in Canada but they did purchase the remaining stock...

Competitor barrels will not work on the Lone Eagle, i already asked, LOL!

[ 06-25-2003, 01:18: Message edited by: MSSmagnum ]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Actually, Magnum Research (MRI) is not out of business. They just stopped producing the Lone Eagles due to lack of demand. You can still get the BFR, Desert Eagle and Baby Eagle (as well as long guns) from MRI.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[Smile] Thanks for the replys.
I can get one for 899 Canadian.(=599US) To me that sounds not too bad because it would have cost me more than that to import one.(VERRY hard) but at least possible. I have a choice of 22-250 or 308. Talked to JD at SSK and he said he might do barrels for them in the future but not right now. I almost bought one a few years ago but opted for a 375JDJ barrel for my Contender.(I'm addicted to this thing) When I got the chance to handle( not shoot) one on the weekend I was impressed with the balance of it.
Brett V: How accurate are your Lone Eagles? Do you know anyone who has a 22-250 or 308? What do they think of them?
Thanks again for the info. I'll let you know if I get one.
Mike [Smile]

Posts: 257 | Location: Canada | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett V:
Actually, Magnum Research (MRI) is not out of business. They just stopped producing the Lone Eagles due to lack of demand. You can still get the BFR, Desert Eagle and Baby Eagle (as well as long guns) from MRI.

Magnum Research did not produce these guns, they just marketed them like the balance of the product they sell. The Lone Eagle was produced by Ordnance Tech (i think, their name eludes me). [Wink]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
MSSMagnum,
Thanks for clearing that up. I never knew that they were just marketers. I thought Magnum Research bought the company who originally made the product (under the name SSP) and continued producting them with some improvements (like a better stock).

I have no idea how accurate mine are. I used a cheap scope (NcStar) to shoot with for break in and the recoil destroyed the scope. Before it started shifting POI, the 7mm-08 put 5 shots into about 1.5" at 25 yards. This was my first time shooting it, and I was cleaning every shot. I have yet to find time to give them a fair shake since then. Hopefully 4th of July weekend...

[edit]
I don't know anyone with a 22-250 or 308. I imagine the 308 would do pretty well (relative to a 30-06) considering the lower capacity. It's the same principle as with any 14" barrel.
[edit]

Brett

[ 06-26-2003, 16:17: Message edited by: Brett V ]

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett V:
MSSMagnum,
Thanks for clearing that up. I never knew that they were just marketers. I thought Magnum Research bought the company who originally made the product (under the name SSP) and continued producting them with some improvements (like a better stock).

Competitor Corp originally built the SSP and then they (the partners) split. Ordnance Tech ( i believe, still cant remember) was born and they sold the majority of their product through Magnum Research. Competitor Corp, on the other hand, took the basic design and continued working with it to develop the Competitor pistol. The 2 pistols are very similar but the Competitor is basically an enhanced version. Gone is the cross bolt safety and cocking lever. The Competitor cocks on open, has a safety incorporated into the trigger (like a glock) and the cocking piece.