THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SINGLE SHOT PISTOLS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Single Shot Pistols    I Did It & Got Kissed! Warning--Don't try this at home

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Did It & Got Kissed! Warning--Don't try this at home
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
As many of you know I have been playing with rifle optics on my specialty handguns. Some of you have done this with some of your stuff, but I haven't heard about anyone doing this with some of the larger cartridges (maybe no one want s to fess up). In plans of going PD shooting this weekend--which I did, I decided to put a 6.5-20 Leupold rifle scope on my 284 Win. XP-100. This XP has a sporter barrel but I really enjoy using it for PD's at long range and at short ranges. It doesn't have a brake on it but it does have a 2 port mag-na-port on the barrel. Load is 59.0 of H-4831 with a 140 NBT leaving the barrel @ 2750 fps. Well I shot three times and on the fourth time it lightly kissed me on the nose--no blood, but bumped me hard enough to let me know she cared. After that I was more careful with my eye relief and shot it about 35 times through the morning taking dogs out to just over 400 yards. it really changes the way I am used to shooting this gun--it feels weird. Just thought I would give you an update. Next I want to shoot @ 600 yards with it and see if I can shoot better groups or not with higher magnification.
xphunter

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
xphunter
I have been reading about you guys trying this kind of a thing for a while now. I know I will never try using a rifle scope like you described. It has nothing to do with pistols either. I was shooting a friends 300 Winchester Mag & I don't know what kind of scope it was but it sure gave me a whack on the bridge of the nose. It did break the skin enough to start bleeding. So I now have a little voice in me that says NO WAY ! Good luck with your project. [Big Grin]

Rich Jake

[ 05-04-2003, 05:22: Message edited by: Rich Jake ]

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
<SD Handgunner>
posted
I too have tried a Rifle Scope on a Speciality Handgun, however my endeavor was with a .22 Rimfire. I didn't get wached in the head, but like you said XP, it is WEIRD and hard to get used to. I ended up buying another 3x12x Burris LER Handgun Scope instead of sticking with the Rifle Scope.

Larry

one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
i reckon i'm stuborn and hard headed [Roll Eyes] or maybe just plain dumb [Big Grin] but i'm still trying out a 4x12 riflescope on my .223 contender. my blue dot load from sdhandgunner will work i'm pretty sure. hehe, i did bring blood once while shooting some 55gr loads. ahhh! 40gr bullets will work just fine. i still leave myself room to back out of this later after a few coyote outings to make sure i like it ok. seems pretty good from shooting stix right now.

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i don't understand what the problem is XP, i've got a 4.5-14X Simmons ATV on a .71 Mach IV, and it's never touched me once, with a teency weency 300 gr. bullet.

If your nose was a little smaller like mine you might not have that problem-- maybe you should consider plastic surgery.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
My attempt with a rifle scope on a 14" 223 barrel resulted in a crack in the middle of my shooting glasses!! Glad i had em on. This scope doesnt have nearly the eye relief that Leupold has..... [Wink]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sscoyote,
A little intended dislexia taking place in your post? I have never seen you shoot 300 grain bullets out of anything. hee hee
And I have heard the noise than can come out of your snout in the middle of the night in the mountain air. No wonder we don't see elk anywhere near camp!
Fun aside, I know now that I will be able to use this scope on the 6.5-284 since it will have a Vais brake and will be several pounds heavier.
The difficulty will be changing the way I hold my XP on the bench and stay consistent.
ernie

Posts: 827 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah i mighta had some dislexia at work yesterday, and i'll admit to have spooked game with a snort once or twice up there, but as big as it is, this snout is truly one to be proud of, although i'm afraid due to its epic proportions i think i'd be in jeopardy of a nasal concussion if i were to take to that 6.5 the way you are. Anyway knowing the Bish. the way i do i'm sure you'll find something that works, and at a bargain too, no doubt.

[ 05-05-2003, 08:34: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote