New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reflections......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
"Self-promoting" was used to describe what is perceived to be a Mike Bellm character flaw in the now infamous 125 post Mike Bellm is a JERK thread.

I had not planned to post any further on this thread, but the comment deserves some thought, I think.

"The norm," which I am not prone to following, is to pay for advertising to entice folks to hand you their money in exchange for goods or services rendered, right? This paid advertising money, which for all but the smallest shops probably exceeds $1,000 per month, has to come from some place. The labor and overhead is expended to produce those goods to make the money to finance the paid advertising to promote that shop further and guarantee your continued patronage and encourage new business.

I used to do the same thing, but have taken a different course. Instead of expending "my substance" producing money to pay for advertising, I have taken a path where I use my discretionary time to interact with "the brothers" via my website, emails, and, alas, the hazardous battlefields on forums..... which most barrel manufacturers are not willing to participate in.

It reminds me of a line by comedian Richard Pryor some years back, talking about how he went to a prison to " ....ya know, spend some time with the brothers." Then he shuddered, trembled, stuttered, and blurted out.... "Thank God we have penitentiaries!"

Anyway, instead of paid advertising, I have spent "my substance" putting out information I have found to be both extremely vital to shooting TCs and woefully lacking in the "mainstream" gun publications and "common knowledge," which if popular is most likely wrong. That is just the way human nature is. It is far easier to get the general populace to follow erroneous ideas than it is ones based on fact.

My approach IS self-serving, as I have been acused of being. It DOES create an identity. It DOES create business. It DOES make me money..... but funny thing..... if I don't make money, the vital information stops. You cannot have it both ways. There are no free lunches.

I have made this a two way street where it is a "win-win" situation for me AND for all TC shooters who will avail themselves of the info with an open mind for their own benefit as well.

Plus, I enjoy the exchange with fellow shooters.

It has been so tempting at times to wrap up everything on the website into a package you have to pay for. And I am not so sure that I won't someday do just that. But it would be largely a backlash against the few bone heads that get pissed when they don't get their way and can't do anything but throw a juvenile tantrum.

This IS what it boils down to when the demand syndrome gets frustrated:

My money, my rules, you jump when I yell frog!

Bull.... that is the tail wagging the dog, and as I have said many times.... this old dog doesn't wag for sour owl sweat.

Maybe I should be apologetic for " 'splaining" myself, but apparently there are some who just can't see the forest for the trees.

It works for me and has worked great for thousands of others.... that is sufficient, I think. Let the others do whatever they want.

Any comments you guys exchange here intended for me to see should be copied to mike@bellmtcs.com

Why am I not working on something else right now? I did not want to start something else while waiting for a meeting with a machine shop at 1 pm today. More nefarious things in the works for you guys.

Mike

[ 07-02-2003, 23:35: Message edited by: Mike Bellm ]

Posts: 791 | Location: Grants Pass, OR USA | Registered: 30 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, I understand your frustration with some of the pesty little folks who feel the need to try to prove something. There are a lot of us that appreciate you taking time to share your experience and skills with us in an intelligent manner as you do. Your efforts are appreciated. Thank you.

Posts: 376 | Location: Farmington, NM - USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
[Mad] OK Let's NOT start another 125+ post LET'S MOVE ON!!!!!!!!! [Mad] I want to talk about gun's.Not who is a JERK and who is not.Just move on.

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Bellm:
This IS what it boils down to when the demand syndrome gets frustrated:

My money, my rules, you jump when I yell frog!

Bull.... that is the tail wagging the dog, and as I have said many times....

This is one area I disagree with you within the constraints of reason and common sense.

It IS my money, I work hard to obtain it and EXPECT to receive a product that justly deserves the price I pay. I also EXPECT that I will have the opportunity to make decisions regarding the product I purchase, once again within the constraints of reason and common sense.

I believe that there are certain items, as related to barrels, that we buy that are part of the package that �you offer� i.e., throats, lead angles, on center chambers etc� Expecting that we receive a barrel in the appropriate chamber, length, finish, sight mounting holes, etc�, are the customers option. Realistic lead times should also be provided, even if they are quoted in the term of years.

This is why I have stated NUMEROUS times, you can VOTE WITH YOUR DOLLARS. If you don�t like what your told, don�t send your money there, no need to get your panties in a bunch.

BTW, I will forward this via email�..

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MSSmagnum:

This is why I have stated NUMEROUS times, you can VOTE WITH YOUR DOLLARS. If you don�t like what your told, don�t send your money there, no need to get your panties in a bunch.

Ya gots that one right. Ain't nobody twisin' yer arm makin' ya buy somebody's new whiz bang barrel (even though sometimes it does feel like a compulsion)! As much as I HATE to admit that you make sense...well you do! [Big Grin]

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<MePlat>
posted
Mike all you have to do is look in a mirror and you will see your reflection. You don't have to post on here to see it. If it will make you feel any better I will say I am sorry for the trouble I caused and will admit to the world in general that you are the man.
I am sorry I ever doubted you and hope you will forgive me as I humbly present myself to you for my punishment and will meekly bow at the mere mention of your name.

I am humbled to even be on the same planet as you.
Please forgive me and I will slink back to the rock from which I crawled.

Thank you, Meatplate (Your forever humbled and shamed servant and pimple on the butt cheek of life)

PS: I will forever sing your praises and will with great joy and pride recommend your work and encourage everyone to glory in your greatness with me as I pass through this earthly home.

[ 07-03-2003, 22:03: Message edited by: Meat Plate ]

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Immaturity is not a cure for stupidity.

[ 07-04-2003, 03:17: Message edited by: MSSmagnum ]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote