Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 improved in the contender
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted
i'm kinnda excited boys! i have a new barrel coming from ed's contenders. a 30-30 ackley improved. anyone ever shoot this dude? any good loads? wonder how well factory ammo will shoot in it? not that i intend on using much factory stuff, but it will just be interesting to see, and add a few extra rounds of win. brass to the pile. i'm gonna work up a load with the hornady 130gr sspb. h4895, h335, and imr 4198 is what i'll try first. any better choices if those don't supply the needed accuracy? just full of questions ain't i? [Razz]

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a super 16 in 30-30 imp. at one time, still not sure why I got rid of it as it was a tack driver in handgun or carbine configuration. My favorite load was 35 gr. of Reloder 15, Win primer, R-P case and the Hornady 130 gr. single shot Pistol bullet. This is not a hot load, in fact I use the same load in my standard 30-30 Carbine, it is however my most accurate load with inch or less groups at 100 yds.
Dies are kinda spendy but you might give Mike over at O.T.T. a ring and see if he could help you out there.
Have Fun!!

Posts: 330 | Location: Oregon, U.S. of A. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
my 30-30 improved dies came today. got em at lock,stock and barrel for $63 and change shipped. i just wanted to try a couple cases with a .308 full length sizing die, which would size only the neck and might have worked for sizing once fired 30-30 cases to be formed into the improved version. BUT! it doesn't work! the length is ok, but my lyman .308 die does not squeeze the 30-30 neck enough to hold the bullet firmly. oh well, can't win em all. [Roll Eyes] my redding 30 improved dies are here now and should do the job. [Cool]

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote