New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mmIMHA Loads for light bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody got any favorite loads for a 7mmIMSA using 100grain or 115 grain bullets? I just picked up an xp-100 today that had been raped and changed from 7BR to 7IMHA and need to shoot it a little before unscrewing the barrel and putting a 7BR barrel back on it! Thought I would give it a shot!(pun intended) before doing this! I have a bunch of 100 grain Sierra HP that need shooting! My favorite bullet for the 7BR would have to be the 120VMax and second would be the 120 Nosler BT's. Just happen to be out right now!! Also will Reloader 7 perform in this case? 28.5 grains of Reloader 7 gave SUPER results in the BR's I've owned but this is a new frontier! All help would be appreciated!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
<SD Handgunner>
posted
Back in about 1982 I owned a Remington XP-100 that I had rechambered to 7mm IHMSA. I mainly used the old 120gr. Nosler Solid Base Spitzer Boat Tail. I tried a couple different powders and ended up loading W-748. Of the powders I tried W-748 provided the best accuracy for me. I don't remember the exact charge weight, and didn't have a chronograph back then, but I took a few Whitetails with that XP, and was quite satisfied with it's performance.

I used both necked down .300 Savage Brass, as well as shortened, fireformed 7mm-08 Remington Brass. Both seemed to work well.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry, I pulled bullets from 300 Savage ammo and loaded up 10 rounds usimg 35 grains of H322 and 100 grain Sierras this AM. Chronographed @ 2591(average for 7) fps and cut holes at 100 yards! Got lucky I guess! Not the velocity that I could have gotten out of the BR but accuracy was there! Guess I'll shoot it awhile before screwing the BR barrel in it!! Will try it out on a groundhog shortly!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote