Find
Notify
Tools

Chrono'd the Encore 45-70 today..
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted
10 shot avg. 1860fps [Big Grin] with RE-7 and a 405gr cast.Groups were not super accurate but,good for a hunting load.Anyone have an accurate load using RE-7 and cast 405's...?

[ 10-09-2003, 07:25: Message edited by: T/C Nut ]

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was this in a rifle or a pistol? If it was in a pistol, you are a bigger man than I am [Big Grin] .

Dennis

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of KYODE
posted Hide Post
i think he's a bigger man than a lot of us [Big Grin]
he's tougher than woodpecker lips, when it comes to handcannons. hehe [Razz]

Posts: 268 | Location: Northeast Kentucky | Registered: 29 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
It's in a pistol don't like rifles that much anymore. [Big Grin]
T/C Nut aka(Woodpecker lips)

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of McClura
posted Hide Post
Man, that's smokin. I'm getting 1450 from my 300grn bullets. I might have to have my "BUDDIES" test fire it with 400 grn bullets.

Mike

Posts: 311 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
Here my load for my 45/70 300gr JHP bullet N133 63.2gr Primer CCI BR2 case Win. 14" BBL 2025fps and it is a hand full. If you use this load work it up slow and start at 59gr

<IKE>
posted
I've been playing with a factory 15" Encore barrel in 45-70 for a couple months now, differnt powders, primers etc.

For a semi comfortable load, that I shot through with for fun at my last 40 round silhouette match and ended up with a 37x40, I'm using Winch. brass, CCI BR-2 primers, 38.5grs of IMR4198 and a Remington 300gr JHP.

For a hunting load I'm loading Winch. brass, CCI BR-2 primers, 58.5grs of Varget and the same Remington 300gr JHP.

After establishing the two above pet loads I tried CCI #250 mag. primers to see if I could do away with the few unburned kernels of powder left in the barrel after each round of each load. The mag primers did not solve the problem and in both the pet loads the groups opened up considerably.

I also tried both Winch. and Rem. standard LR primers and they did not group as well either as the BR-2's, I'll be sticking with the CCI BR-2's.

Both of the above pet loads will print five rounds about the size of a golf ball at 100yds. scoped and off bags.

[ 10-21-2003, 14:40: Message edited by: IKE ]