New
Find
Notify
Tools

verticle stringing in contender?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i have a super 14 7 int-rimmed contender that shot 1 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards with open sights and 120 gr. hornady sp bullet. I recently put a used 2-7 power burris handgun scope on it and after intial sightin (one inch high at 100 yards) i shot several 3 shot groups with the 120 gr. load. I have checked the base and rings, they are all tight and nothing appears to be loose. My first 3 shot groups looked normal, about 3/4 inch at 100 yards, (nice round group) no verticl stringing. I fired another three rounds to see if i could improve the group or atleast duplicate it. Two shots were again one inch high about 1/2 inch apart(just as it was sighted in for) third shot was 3-four inches low.

What is going on? i shot several more three shot groups, all with the same results. Two shots close three inches below point of aim and one either high or low 3 inches.

Did the scope go bad or what?

thankx

Posts: 165 | Location: BAKER CITY OREGON!!!!!! | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rich Jake
posted Hide Post
Check your base & make sure it isn't moving. I had a simular problem. The screws start to back out & the base comes loose. If you shoot it enough you'll be able to see it. I had used lock tite & failed to degrease the holes first & they evetually started to back out.
Rich Jake

Posts: 1213 | Location: Middletown NY USA | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Rich is right on the money. ALso, what type of forend are you using? That's a critical area, as is consistent placement of the forend on the bags. Any interference with the grip will cause erratic results as well. But more than likely, the diagnosis Rich made will cure what ails your TC.

Posts: 9336 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is also possible for the base mounting screws to be a bit too long and could bottom out in the holed in the barrel. They might appear to be tight, but just loose enough to allow the base to rise up a minute amount. It would not take much to make point of impact change by 2-3 inches. Also, what I said in my email still applies.

Jim

Posts: 232 | Location: Alamogordo, NM | Registered: 19 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey i really appreciate it , ill try a few things to see what i can figure out. I'll check the base screws for tightness and possibly try another scope on my gun,(if i can find one). I will really concentrate on keeping the gun consistent on the bags, or shoot off bipod. Ill make sure the grip doesn't touch anything during recoil as well.

Thanks especially to jesilva

Ill let you know, sincerely,

[Smile] Austin from oregon

Posts: 165 | Location: BAKER CITY OREGON!!!!!! | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Check your grip bolt while your at it.

Posts: 723 | Location: Ny | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HEY I FIGURED IT OUT!!

The scope is just fine. I went home and checked the screws on the weaver base yesterday before i went back out for more testing. They seemed fairly tight but i was able to move three out of the four screws at least 1/8 turn. Im sure that was my problem because the gun shot fine the other day for the first 10 rounds or so. Then i got verticle stringing and my point of impact changed. I didn't feel like i was doing anything different. That's why i thought maybe the scope wen't bad.

Anyway that's not the case, i went back out yesterday and shot my contender off a bipod, on a concrete shooting bench at the local range. I used a hard flat sandbag to support the pistol grip. I used a light one handed grip, with my left hand resting next to the grip on the sand bag. I was able to get several groups under and inch at 100yds. with the 2-7 burris scope set on 7 power. After sightin, the scope stayed zeroed throughout my shooting sesson(15-20 rounds)

I appreciate your advice everyone, and i guess i learned even though the base seemed tight, it wasn't tight enough.

You guys were really helpful thanks again. [Wink] [Smile]

Austin from oregon [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]